It's about time: Google Chrome for Linux
Download Google Chrome (Beta) »
- Hi there! Over the past year, we've been porting Google Chrome to Linux and Mac OS X
- We're not all Googlers, and we're spread over the world
- We started by porting WebKit
- We wanted to match the rendering of Chromium on Windows
- About mid-Nov 2008, we could render Gmail
- WebKit has over 10,000 tests which we worked with for months
- Then we started working on Chromium proper, stubbing out large sections to get it to compile
- 3 AM, Feb 10th: First multiprocess rendering
- There are a million details to work out
- And some big design changes along the way
- As every Linux user knows, plugins are always a challenge
- But now that we're up to speed, we're along for the ride
- We have something that works. Give it a try!
Illustrated by Adam Langley, Google Chrome engineer.
Inspired by xkcd.com.