Judging and Prizes
March 28, 2008
April 12, 2008
May 7, 2008
May 12-18, 2008
May 21, 2008
May 22, 2008
The Doodle 4 Google competition is open to all U.S. residents between the ages of 5 and 18 who attend elementary and secondary schools (i.e. grades K-12) in the U.S. Doodles will be judged in the following brackets:
- Grades K - 3
- Grades 4 - 6
- Grades 7 - 9
- Grades 10 - 12
Up to 400 doodles from across the country will be chosen by a panel of independent judges and Google employees based on which doodles they feel best represent the "What If...?" theme. In each state, 2 doodles will be selected in each grade group, meaning that each grade group and each state will be equally represented. Entries from the District of Columbia will be judged along with entries from Maryland.
Our judging panel will choose 40 top doodles as Regional Winners. In each of the ten Regions, each grade group will have one winner. These Regional Winners will be displayed in a gallery on the Google.com website. The U.S. public will then vote for the doodles they believe best capture the theme "What if ...?".
An awards ceremony for the 40 Regional Winners will be held at the Googleplex in Mountain View, California on May 21, 2008. We'll also announce the four National Finalists chosen by the U.S. public (1 per grade group).
Finally, one of the four National Finalists will be awarded "National Winner of Doodle 4 Google" by Dennis Hwang, Google's webmaster. The National Winner's doodle will 'go live' on the Google homepage for 24 hours.
The National Winner will win a $10,000 college scholarship to be used at the school of their choice, a trip to the Googleplex, a laptop computer, and a t-shirt printed with their doodle. We'll also award the winner's school a $25,000 grant towards the establishment/improvement of a computer lab.
- Each of the other 3 National Finalists will win a trip to the Googleplex, a laptop computer, and a t-shirt printed with their doodle.
- Each of the other 36 Regional Winners will win a trip to the Googleplex and t-shirt printed with their doodle.
- Each of the other 360 State Finalists will receive a "Doodle 4 Google" certificate.
The competition will run across 10 regions:
- Region 1:
- Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- Region 2:
- New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
- Region 3:
- Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia
- Region 4:
- Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina
- Region 5:
- Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
- Region 6:
- Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
- Region 7:
- Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee
- Region 8:
- Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
- Region 9:
- Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming
- Region 10:
- Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington