- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Middle East and North Africa
- South East Asia
- Latin America
- United States, Europe and rest of world
- Enterprise / Small Business Solutions
- Social / Personal Productivity / Games / Fun
- Education / Not for Profit / Water / Food & Hunger / Health
- Effective use of the Google Apps and/or Google Drive APIs
- Originality of concept
- Relevance to region
- Polish and appeal
- Indispensability: Is the application compelling and/or essential?
- Use of other Google platforms and APIs
- June 5th: Competition begins
- July 25th: Submissions window opens
- August 24th: First round submissions due
- September 13th: Semi-Finalists announced
- October 25th: Updated Semi-Final Apps re-submitted
- November 12th: Winners announced
Judging & Awards
First Round:By August 24th, all apps entering the competition must be submitted for judging. At most 10 apps from each of the 3 categories in all 6 regions (at most 30 apps total per region) will move to the semi-finals. Applications will be evaluated and ranked by a team of Google-selected internal and external judges. On September 13th, the apps moving to the semi-finals in each region will be announced.
Those developers whose applications are selected for the semi-finals will have about one month to improve their applications (add features, improve stability, performance, etc). By October 25th, developers in the semi-finals will submit the final versions of their apps for judging via this website.
At the end of the judging period, all applications in each region and category will be evaluated and ranked by a team of Google-selected judges and announced on November 12th.
Prizes will be distributed as follows; all prizes are in USD:
- Round One: All teams that make it to the semi-finals in each category in each region will be awarded Chromebooks.
- Round One: In order to encourage participation from women and highlight innovations from women in the developing markets, we are adding an additional prize. If a Semi-Finalist happens to be an individual or a team consisting solely of women, that team will be awarded an additional prize of $1000 USD.
- Round One: Any university team made up entirely of student or staff of a university (identified by the university domain email address) that makes it to the semi-finals will get $1,000 .
- Semi-Finals: 1st prize in each category in each region will receive $20,000. This means that there will be a total of 18 grand prize winners
- Semi-Finals: If any team from a university wins the competition in any of the categories, the department to which the members of the team belong will win $18,000.
Information about the winning developers and Apps will be posted to this website on or around the following dates:
- Semi-Final Round: September 13th
- Winners: November 12th