The Ohio Turnpike Commission operates the 241-mile James W. Shocknessy Ohio Turnpike and its service plazas. The turnpike spans the width of the state. It begins near the Michigan border in the northwest corner of Ohio and passes just south of the Toledo and Cleveland metropolitan areas before terminating east of Youngstown. The turnpike connects with other toll roads in Indiana and Pennsylvania. The Ohio legislature established the turnpike commission in 1949, and the toll road was opened to traffic in 1955. The Ohio Turnpike Commission is governed separately from the state's primary highway agency, the Ohio Department of Transportation.