James River Coal Company mines engaged in processing and selling of thermal and metallurgical coal through eight active mining complexes located throughout eastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia and southern Indiana. The Company has two business segments based on the coal basins in which it operates: Central Appalachia (CAPP) and the Midwest. As of December 31, 2011, its eight mining complexes included 25 underground mines, 12 surface mines and 14 preparation plants. As of December 31, 2011, it controlled 362.8 million tons of probable coal reserves. As of December 31, 2011, it produced 10.3 million tons of coal, including 0.7 million tons of coal produced in its mines that are operated by contract mine operators and it purchased another 1.6 million tons for resale. As of December 31, 2011, 63% of production from underground mines, while the remaining 37% came from surface mines. In April 18, 2011, the Company acquired International Resource Partners LP and its subsidiary companies.