(AFP) – Apr 9, 2008
LONDON (AFP) — A 90-second extract of a video showing Formula One chief Max Mosley taking part in sex games with five prostitutes will be put on a British newspaper's website after Mosley lost an injunction bid Wednesday.
The extract comes from a video which formed the basis for a News of the World story last month headlined: "F1 boss has sick Nazi orgy with 5 hookers" and prompted Mosley to launch a legal claim for breach of privacy.
Mosley, president of the International Motoring Federation (FIA), wanted to keep the footage off the Internet before his claim comes to trial in July.
But at London's High Court, judge David Eady said there was little point granting an injunction because the footage was already widely available.
"The dam has effectively burst," Eady said.
"Although this material is intrusive and demeaning... the granting of an order against this respondent at the present juncture would merely be a futile gesture."
The footage was viewed nearly 1.5 million times in the two days between the News of the World first putting the video on its website and later removing it.
Mosley, whose father Sir Oswald Mosley was a British fascist leader in the 1930s, does not dispute that events shown in the footage took place but says they were private and denies they were Nazi-themed, the judge added.
"The very brief extracts which I was shown seemed to consist mainly of people spanking each others' bottoms," the judge said.
"There is also a scene in which Mr Mosley was pretending to have his head examined for lice.
"This appears to have been part of acting out a prison fantasy, in which he is described as having come from another facility."
The News of the World said afterwards that the newspaper would be offering the full footage of the tape to the FIA.
Mosley's future as FIA president is to be decided at a hearing of motorsport's governing body at its Paris headquarters on June 3, Sky reported.
Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserved. More »