(AFP) – Aug 26, 2008
NOUAKCHOTT (AFP) — Three opposition parties refused Tuesday to participate in Mauritania's government, since they had not been assured that junta members who toppled the country's leader would not run for president.
"On the military's non-participation in the presidential elections, the general (junta leader Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz) has said nothing has been decided on the subject," Ibrahim Sarr, president of the Alliance for Justice and Democracy, Movement for Renovation (AJD-MR) party told reporters.
"These responses are not sufficient for us to get involved in the future government," he said, speaking alongside the leaders of the two other parties, the Union of Democratic Forces (RFD) and the Movement for Direct Democracy (MDD).
In his first broadcast address earlier this month, Ould Abdel Aziz said presidential elections would be organised shortly without giving an exact date.
The parties' announcement represented a shift away from the junta that carried out the August 6 coup against ex-president Sidi Ould Chekh Abdallahi, which the three originally supported.
The RFD also had said there was a good chance it would join a new transitional government.
While many politicians -- including the majority of mayors and parliament members -- continue to support the coup, others have spoken out against it recently, with 32 lawmakers boycotting the parliament's opening session last week.
The international community has also condemned the coup and the re-arrest of ousted prime minister Yahya Ould Ahmed Waghf last week. On Friday the World Bank announced it was suspending 175 million dollars (120 million euros) in aid to the country.
Copyright © 2014 AFP. All rights reserved. More »