LONDON — A British photographer injured in an attack that killed two Western journalists in Syria was "on his way out" of the beseiged city of Homs, the foreign ministry in London said Thursday.
"We understand that Paul Conroy is on his way out of Homs to a neighbouring country where he will be receiving medical treatment," a Foreign Office spokeswoman told AFP.
The ministry said it could not give details on whether or not Conroy, a photographer for Britain's Sunday Times newspaper, had already managed to leave the city.
Conroy, 47, was injured in a rocket attack that killed his American colleague Marie Colvin, 56, along with French photojournalist Remi Ochlik on Wednesday.
A Syrian citizen journalist, Rami al-Sayyed, was also killed late on Tuesday in a separate incident in Homs.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague told BBC television that "all the necessary work is being done" to repatriate the body of Colvin, who wrote for the Sunday Times for 25 years.
Britain summoned Syria's ambassador to London on Wednesday to demand that Syrian authorities facilitate "immediate arrangements for the repatriation of the journalists' bodies," as well as medical treatment for Conroy.
Rupert Murdoch, whose US-based News Corporation owns The Sunday Times, said in a staff email on Wednesday that the company was working to help Conroy leave Homs, which was being bombarded by regime troops on Thursday for a 20th day.
"We are doing all we can in the face of shelling and sniper fire to get him to safety and to recover Marie's body," he wrote.
The Sunday Times said it had no updates on Thursday.
Damascus said Thursday it was not responsible for the deaths of the two journalists, who "sneaked into its territory at their own risk," but offered condolences to the families of Colvin and Ochlik.
Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserved. More »