(AFP) – Feb 10, 2009
NEW DELHI (AFP) — India on Tuesday accused Islamabad of delaying its investigation into the Mumbai attacks, which have been widely blamed on militants based inside Pakistan.
The charge came a day after Islamabad said its investigators needed more information from India to complete its probe into the November 26-29 siege in which 165 people were killed by 10 gunmen.
Nine of the gunmen were shot dead. The lone surviving attacker, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman -- also referred to as Kasab -- is currently in Indian police custody in Mumbai.
India's junior foreign minister, Anand Sharma, said New Delhi had sent its own detailed report on the attacks to Pakistan, and that it expected a swift response.
The identity of those who carried out the attacks and "those who masterminded these dastardly attacks is fairly well known to Pakistan, to India and to the entire international community," Sharma told reporters here.
"The organisations too stand identified and named at the United Nations Security Council itself," he said, without naming the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), at which fingers have been pointed.
LeT has denied involvement in the Mumbai carnage, but Sharma demanded action from Pakistan, which has fought three wars with India since independence in 1947.
"What is required of Pakistan is that it should not delay, deflect or confuse but act," Sharma said.
Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee separately said Pakistan had not sought additional information from India.
"We would expect an official communication from the Pakistani authorities whether they want anything extra from us and if they need anything additional; otherwise it is extremely difficult to deal with it," Mukherjee said.
On Monday, Pakistani cabinet ministers and senior army officers in Islamabad said that the information provided by India was insufficient.
India's Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon last Thursday directly accused Pakistan's military spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence, of involvement in the attacks -- a charge Islamabad vigorously denied.
In Mumbai, police joint commissioner Rakesh Maria told AFP that a death threat had been made against Iman, but said he was under careful guard at an undisclosed location, where he is being questioned.
"He's kept protected.... nothing to worry," he said.
India's junior interior minister Sriprakash Jaiswal said both local and federal security forces were guarding the suspect.
Copyright © 2014 AFP. All rights reserved. More »