(AFP) – Sep 2, 2009
TEHRAN — Iranian opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi, who has charged post-election detainees were raped, said one of the victims has disappeared after being interrogated, his website reported on Wednesday.
Karroubi said the judiciary officials had "intimidated" and sought to "condemn" the unnamed victim in questioning, the Etemad Melli website reported.
"This person had been treated so outrageously that he has disappeared and there is no news of him," the reformist cleric who was defeated in the June 12 presidential election said.
The victim was said to be among protesters detained and later released.
Karroubi did not say whether the man had chosen to go underground, or perhaps even harm himself, or if the authorities had acted against him after his release.
But he held former Tehran prosecutor Saeed Mortazavi and his representatives responsible for any "deplorable incidents happening to this person and his family."
Karroubi has infuriated hardliners by alleging that some young men and women arrested in street protests against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election were raped in detention.
On August 24, the alleged victim published on Etemad Melli an account of an August 20 meeting with judiciary officials to discuss his claims that he had been raped. In that, he complained that he had been questioned for hours about matters "irrelevant" to the case.
The victim also said the interrogator asked whether he had been bribed to make the claim and embarrassed him by asking about the "extent of penetration" and whether "that person (the perpetrator) had been satisfied."
Iran's new judiciary chief Ayatollah Sadeq Larijani has replaced hardline prosecutor Mortazavi, who was also behind mass trials of protestors.
Dozens of people have been killed in protests and 4,000 were initially arrested.
Iran shut down Kahrizak jail south of Tehran after three protestors reportedly died of injuries allegedly inflicted in custody.
Iranian officials have dismissed claims that protesters were raped in jail and Karroubi published the victim's account "in response to those who said he has no evidence on the sexual abuse of Kahrizak prisoners," the website said.
Copyright © 2014 AFP. All rights reserved. More »