CAPE TOWN — The city of Cape Town plans to go to court to get help funding a control programme for its baboon troops, which are known for brazen raids on homes and cars at tourist sites, the mayor said Thursday.
The city will take legal action after failing to persuade provincial government and parks authorities to roll out long-term funding for a programme employing monitors to steer the troops from humans and prevent clashes.
"They have refused to do so, leaving us little option but to go it alone and seek a court ruling," mayor Dan Plato in a speech to the city council.
Cape Town's mountainous peninsula is home to several protected Chacma baboon troops, with the monitors proving to be the most effective control system, Plato said.
The city believes it should receive a percentage of monies from fees paid at top tourist sites to help manage the animals.
The city has allocated 4.4 million rands (604,000 dollars, 474,000 euros) to the monitors programme since last year, with national and provincial contributions amounting to 1.4 million rands.
Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserved. More »