(AFP) – Jun 4, 2008
UNITED NATIONS (AFP) — The UN's war crimes prosecutor for Rwanda on Wednesday asked the UN Security Council to give him an extra year to complete trials of fugitives suspected of war crimes in the Rwandan genocide.
Hassan Bubacar Jallow said that due primarily to three new arrests made in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, France and Germany, the trials would not be completed until next year, which will require additional funding.
The three suspects arrested are Callixte Nsabonimana, Dominique Ntawukuriryayo and Augustin Ngirabatware.
Jallow, the Gambian prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), also pressed Nairobi to help cooperate for the arrest of fugitive Felicien Kabuga.
"Kabuga, a fugitive, is believed to be living in Kenya, with property and businesses in his name there," he noted.
Jallow also urged the East African nation to freeze Mr. Kabuga's bank accounts and investigate his business interests.
Meanwhile ICTR President Judge Dennis Byron said that of the 92 indictments issued by the prosecution, 41 had been disposed of.
"Of the remaining 51, four have been earmarked for referral and 13 accused are still at large," he added.
The fugitives were charged with perpetrating, financing and providing support for the 1994 Rwandan genocide, which claimed some 800,000 lives -- mainly minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus massacred by Hutu extremists.
The ICTR was created 13 years ago to prosecute lead suspects in the genocide.
Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserved. More »