(AFP) – Oct 8, 2008
WASHINGTON (AFP) — The United States has transferred two unidentified detainees from its "war on terror" detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to other countries, the Pentagon said Wednesday.
One of the detainees was taken to Algeria and the other to Sudan, the Pentagon said in a statement.
The transfers were announced a day after a federal judge ruled that 17 Chinese Mulim Uighurs who had been cleared for release from Guantanamo should be released into the United States.
Judge Ricardo Urbina ordered that they be brought to his court in Washington Friday. The Justice Department is seeking an emergency stay, and the White House warned that others would seek the same freedom.
More than 60 of the 255 detainees being held at Guantanamo have been found eligible for transfer or release, but their departure has been held up by often protracted negotiations with countries receiving them.
The Pentagon said the latest transfers were "a demonstration of the United States' desire not to hold detainees any longer than necessary."
The Pentagon did not identify the two or say whether they were being returned to their home countries or to a third country.
About 520 detainees have been transferred or released since the prison camp was opened in 2002.
Copyright © 2014 AFP. All rights reserved. More »