Scott's Hut, Cape Evans on Ross Island

Frozen in time since 1912, Scott’s Hut is a tangible reminder of the intrepid explorers of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration. (Source)
Frozen in time since 1912, Scott’s Hut is a tangible reminder of the intrepid explorers of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration. (Source)
The hut served as the base of operations for the British 1907-1909 Nimrod Expedition, an early attempt in the race to the geographic South Pole led by a young Ernest Shackleton. (Source)
The South Pole Telescope (SPT) is a 394 inch diameter telescope located at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica which allows sub-millimeter wavelength observations. (Source)
A short distance from the Geographic South Pole is the Ceremonial South Pole, situated in front of the elevation station building. It consists of a metallic, mirrored ball atop a ‘barber pole’ plinth. Surrounding the marker in a semicircle are the flags of the 12 original Antarctic Treaty signatory nations, a tribute to Antarctica’s preservation on the environment and dedication to scientific research. (Source)
The Adélie Penguin, Pygoscelis adeliae, is a species of penguin common along the entire Antarctic coast. They are among the most southerly distributed of all seabirds. In 1840, French explorer Jules Dumont d'Urville named them for his wife, Adèle. (Source)
Half Moon Island, Antarctica (South Shetland Islands) is a 130 acre crescent shaped island that has a large rookery of chinstrap penguins. (Source)
Britain's National Antarctic (Discovery) Expedition 1901-1904 was the first expedition to Antarctica led by Robert Falcon Scott. The expedition base was on a small peninsula on Hut Point, Ross Island, Antarctica, located at the modern United States' McMurdo Station. Discovery Hut, as it is known, is a small, wooden hut built in just a month in February 1902. The hut is preserved today by the Antarctic Heritage Trust. For more information on the hut and Scott's expedition, visit the Antarctic Heritage Trust's website.
This building houses the equipment used for field operations in the Antarctic. Researchers receive their allocated equipment here before departing on their research operations.
This building houses laboratories and offices for researchers working at McMurdo station.