Google Maps/Earth Additional Terms of Service
Last modified: 1 March 2012
By downloading, installing or using the Google Earth software, accessing or using the Google Maps service (together, the "Products" or "Services"), or accessing or using any of the content available within the Products, you agree to be bound by the following: (1) the Google Terms of Service (the "Universal Terms"); (2) the terms found on our Legal Notices page (the "Legal Notices"); (3) the additional terms and conditions set forth below (the "Additional Terms"). Before you continue, you should read each of these three documents, as together they form a binding agreement between you and Google regarding your use of the Products. Collectively, the Universal Terms, the Legal Notices and the Additional Terms are referred to as the "Terms".
1. Use of the Products. Google grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable licence to access the Google Maps service, to download and use the Google Earth software and service and to access the Content (as defined below) within the Products and according to the Terms.
2. Restrictions on use. Unless you have received prior written authorisation from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not: (a) copy, translate, modify or make derivative works of the Content or any part thereof; (b) redistribute, sub-license, rent, publish, sell, assign, lease, market, transfer or otherwise make the Products or Content available to third parties; (c) reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Service or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by applicable law; (d) use the Products in a manner that gives you or any other person access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including but not limited to numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery and visible map data; (e) delete, obscure or in any manner alter any warning or link that appears in the Products or the Content; (f) use the Service or Content with any products, systems or applications for or in connection with (i) real-time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronised to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device; (ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behaviour; (g) use the Products to create a database of places or other local listings information.
3. Appropriate conduct; compliance with law and Google policies. You agree that you are responsible for your own conduct and content while using the Products and for any consequences thereof. You agree to use the Products only for purposes that are legal, proper and in accordance with the Terms and any applicable policies or guidelines that Google may make available. By way of example and not as a limitation, you agree that, when using the Products or the Content, you will not: (a) defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others; (b) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any inappropriate, defamatory, obscene or unlawful content; (c) upload, post, transmit or otherwise make available any content that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary right of any party, unless you are the owner of the rights or have the permission of the owner or other legal justification to use such content; (d) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available messages that promote pyramid schemes, chain letters or disruptive commercial messages or advertisements; (e) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any other content, message or communication prohibited by applicable law, the Terms or any applicable Product policies or guidelines; (f) download any file posted by another that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner; (g) impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any author attributions or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of Content, software or other material; (h) restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Products or Google services; (i) use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application or other device to retrieve or index any portion of the Google services or Content, or collect information about users for any unauthorised purpose; (j) submit content that falsely expresses or implies that such content is sponsored or endorsed by Google; (k) create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretences; (l) promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities; (m) promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual; (n) transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses or any items of a destructive nature.
4. Content in the Products. Google Maps and Google Earth allow you to access and view a variety of content, including but not limited to photographic imagery, map and terrain data, business listings, reviews, traffic and other related information provided by Google, its licensers and its users (the "Content"). Additionally, you may choose to access other third-party content made available in the Products through Google services such as Google Gadgets. You understand and agree to the following: (a) Map data, traffic, directions and related Content are provided for planning purposes only. You may find that weather conditions, construction projects, closures or other events may cause road conditions or directions to differ from the map results. You should exercise judgement in your use of this Content. (b) Certain Content is provided under licence from third parties, including but not limited to TomTom Global Content BV ("TomTom"), and is subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights owned by or licensed to TomTom and/or such third parties. You may be held liable for any unauthorised copying or disclosure of this Content. Your use of TomTom Content, including but not limited to printing or use in marketing or promotional materials, is subject to additional restrictions located on the Legal Notices page.
5. Additional terms for Google Earth. The Google Earth software is subject to United States export controls. By using the Google Earth software, you agree to use the software only for purposes that are legal, proper and in accordance with these Terms. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable export and re-export control laws and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations ("EAR") maintained by the US Department of Commerce, and trade and economic sanctions maintained by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control.
6. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY. (a) GOOGLE AND ITS LICENSERS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TOMTOM AND ITS SUPPLIERS) MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES REGARDING THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY CONTENT OR THE PRODUCTS. (b) SUBJECT TO THE “OUR WARRANTIES AND DISCLAIMERS” SECTION OF THE GOOGLE UNIVERSAL TERMS, GOOGLE AND ITS LICENSERS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TOMTOM AND ITS SUPPLIERS) DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTENT AND THE PRODUCTS, AND WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT OR THE PRODUCTS.
7. U.S. Government Restricted Rights. If the Products are being used or accessed by or on behalf of the United States government, such use is subject to additional terms located in the "Government End Users" section of our Legal Notices page.