|Publication number||US1038184 A|
|Publication date||Sep 10, 1912|
|Filing date||Dec 28, 1911|
|Priority date||Dec 28, 1911|
|Publication number||US 1038184 A, US 1038184A, US-A-1038184, US1038184 A, US1038184A|
|Original Assignee||Solomon Narunsky|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (8), Classifications (4)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
SQUARE RULE. APPLICATION FILED 11118.28, 1911.
1 ,038, 1 84, v Patented Sept. 10,1912.
WITNESSES SOLOMON NARUNSKY, OF BALTIMORE, MARYLAND.
Specification of Letters Patent. Patentedsep t. 10, 1912.
Application filed December 28, 1911. Serial No. 668,270.
To all whom it may concern.
Be it known that I, SOLOMON NARUNSKY, a citizen of the United States, residing at Baltimore city, State of Maryland, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in SquareRules, of which the following is a specification.
My invention relates to attachments for drawing instruments and the like, particularly to rules, and has for its object to provide a device adapted to be attached to that character or class of rules known as hinged or folding rules, and when attached the rule may be set or fixed at certain angles and secured in such adjustment without danger of slipping while the rule is being used, the adjustment thus aflorded always insuring accuracy, and the facility in which the adjustment is capable of being made results in a saving of time in the calculation of degrees of angles or the possibility against making errors which would otherwise be made necessary in the drawing or measuring of work with an ordinary rule without the attachment, the further object of the invention being to provide a square rule when the device is used in conjunction with an ordinary hinged folding foot rule of the character described and shown in the accompanying drawings, which may be readily assembled and taken apart, and when taken apart will occupy but little space as compared with an ordinary square rule, and which may be conveniently carried in ones pocket.
With the foregoing objects in view, my invention consists .in certain novel features of construction and combinations of parts which will be hereinafter described and pointed out in the claims;
Reference being had to the accompanying drawings forming a part of this specification, Figure 1 is aperspective view of the device; Fig. 2 is a view in elevation of the device with a hinged folding rule applied thereto, the hinged plate of the device being removed; Fig. 3 is a plan view of the device; Fig. 4 is a view of the reverse side; Fig. 5 is an edge elevation; Fig. 6 is a section on line 6-6in Fig. 8, and Fig. 7 is a section on line 77 in Fig. 4.
1 indicates the body part, provided with angular faces 2 and 3; provided on the body part, and preferably integral therewith is an extension or raised portion 4, the outside faces 5 and 6 of which are at right angles to each other, the inside edges 7' and 8, also being at r1gl'1t angles to the faces 2 and 3 respectlvely, the inner corner of the raised portion 4 being cut away in a circular form as lndicated at 9 for the-purpose to behereinafter set fort-h. Provided on the raised portion 4 is a plate or cover 10 pivotally secured thereto by a screw 11.
Provided on the body part, and disposed opposite to the raised portion 4 is a plate 12', the; thicknessof the plate being the same as the height of the raised portion 4, and having threaded apertures 13 provided therein into which is secured screws 13; which ex-. tend through oblong apertures 14 provided in the underside of the body part 1 by which means the plate is adjustably secured on the body part. Provided in-the plate 12 is a threaded opening 15, into which is secured a set screw 16', which extends through an oblong aperture 17 in the-plate 10., bywhich the plate 10 issecured in locked adjustment with the plate 12.
18 indicates an ordinary hinged jointed folding carpenters rule, provided with a hinge 19 at a point midway its length, this rule is secured on the body part 1 of the'device, by inserting the hinge 19 between the cut away portion 9 of the raised portion 4, and the similarly cut away portion 20 of the plate 12, with the blades 21 and 22 of the rule lying and fitting snugly between these parts and upon and in line with the angular faces 2 and 8 respectively of the body part, the edges 23 and 24.0f the blades being secured flush with the edges '5 and 6 of the faces 5 and 6 respectively, as shown in Fig. 2; the adjustment afforded by the oblong slots or apertures 14 in the body part 1, and the oblong aperture 17 in the plate 10, being such, that these parts may be readily adjusted to a degree suificient to accommodate the various widths of blades indicated by 21 and 22 composing the rule indicated by 1 8, and the blades made to fit within the parts of the device and the plate or cover 10 secured thereon by the set screw 16 thereby forming a square rule.
On the under side of the body part 1, and
portion or extension 25, having parallel an gular faces 26 and 27 res ectively, these faces are at angles of forty fi capable of measuring or laying ofl' accurately angles of like degree.
From the foregoing it will be observed ve degrees, and
.105 preferably integral therewith, is a raised i i scribed.
that I have provided a device which when attached to a rule of the character described renders the rule to all intents and purposes substantially that of a square rule capable of use for the same purposes as that of a square rule, and which is simple in its construction and operation, can be easily detached from the rule, and capable of being carried in the pocket owing to its compactness and the small space required to carry it 'with the rule after the rule is folded.
Slight changes and alterations might be resorted to in the form and arrangement of the several parts described without departing from the spirit and scope of my invention, and hence I do not wish to limit myself to the exact construction as herein set forth; but,
Having fully described my invention, what I claim and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is:
1. In a device of the character described,
comprising a body part having an extension formed on one side thereof, a plate adjustably'secured on the body part opposite the extension, and arranged to form angular faces on said body part, a cover pivotally secured on the said extension, and means for securing the cover on't-he said plate, substantially as described.
2. In a device of the character described, comprising a body part having an extension formed on one side thereof, and a plate adjustably secured on the body part opposite to said extension, and arranged to form angular faces on said body part, a cover pivotally secured on said extension having an oblong aperture provided therein, and a set screw extending through said aperture engaging with said plate whereby the cover is secured on the said plate in conformity with the adjustment thereof, substantially as de- 3. In a device of the character described, comprising a body part having an extension formed on one side thereof and a cover pivotally secured thereto, a plate adjustably secured on said body part, and means for securing said cover on the plate, substantially as described.
4. In a square rule of the character described, comprising a body part having an extension provided on one side thereof, and a plate adjustably secured thereon opposite the said extension, and arranged to form angular faces on the said body part, a hinged folding rule secured between the said extension and plate, said rule being partially folded and lying in a plane with the said angular faces, a cover pivotally secured on the said extension adapted to extend over the said rule, and means for securing the said cover in closed locked position, substantially as described.
5. In a device of the character described, comprising a body part having an extension formed on one side thereof, and a cover pivotally secured thereon, a plate adjustably secured on the said body part and arranged to form angular faces on said body part, means for securing the said cover on the plate in conformity with the adjustment of said plate, substantially as described.
6. In a device of the character described, comprising a body part having an extension formed on one side thereof, having two parallel faces formed thereon at angles of forty five degrees to said body part, and an extension formed on the opposite side of said body part having a cover pivotally secured thereon, a plate adjustably secured on the said body partopposite to the said extension, and means for securing said cover on the said plate in adjustable relation thereto, substantially as described.
In testimony whereof I afiix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
SOLOMON NARUN SKY.
E. WALTON BREWINGTON, BROWN M. ALLEN.
Copies of this patent may be obtained for five cents each, by addressing the Commissioner of Patents,
Washington, D. 0. f
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US5133735 *||Apr 4, 1991||Jul 28, 1992||Symbiosis Corporation||Thumb-activated actuating member for imparting reciprocal motion to push rod of a disposable laparoscopic surgical instrument|
|US5133736 *||Apr 4, 1991||Jul 28, 1992||Symbiosis Corporation||Investment cast end effectors for disposable laparoscopic surgical instrument|
|US5152778 *||Apr 4, 1991||Oct 6, 1992||Symbiosis Corporation||Clevis for disposable laparoscopic surgical instrument|
|US5156633 *||Apr 4, 1991||Oct 20, 1992||Symbiosis Corporation||Maryland dissector laparoscopic instrument|
|US5171256 *||Apr 4, 1991||Dec 15, 1992||Symbiosis Corporation||Single acting disposable laparoscopic scissors|
|US5192298 *||Apr 4, 1991||Mar 9, 1993||Symbiosis Corporation||Disposable laparoscopic surgical instruments|
|US5331971 *||Jul 28, 1992||Jul 26, 1994||Symbiosis Corporation||Endoscopic surgical instruments|
|US5342390 *||Jul 24, 1992||Aug 30, 1994||Symbiosis Corporation||Thumb-activated actuating member for imparting reciprocal motion to a push rod of a disposable laparoscopic surgical instrument|