|Publication number||US1042098 A|
|Publication date||Oct 22, 1912|
|Filing date||Jul 29, 1911|
|Priority date||May 29, 1909|
|Publication number||US 1042098 A, US 1042098A, US-A-1042098, US1042098 A, US1042098A|
|Inventors||John C English|
|Original Assignee||Victor Talking Machine Co|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (5), Classifications (4)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
J G. ENGLISH.
TALKING MACHINE. 1 APPLiOATIOF'fILED JULY29,191L
1,042,098. Patented Oct. 22, 1912.
6 i; a! 5'2. R 50 fig W a v I 1 l 55 L 55*, a
55 Ill/(" INVENTQR I @fiizffiizgfiifi V/ITNESSES ATTORNEY application urea KING-i=1 -if-.catic11 of Letters so fierce wartime-re smegm 3 AIE.
Pa'teiitetl 22, $91 2.
99,050. Divided and this application filed 51113 29, Serial No.
that I Join; Ci ExoL-isii, a ni ed States, and u re 1 "auulen. county oi (linuheir Jersey have i1ihe and useful luiip'z-oveug-ulaclines. of which the fruition this upplitzu on or in amilicutiou, Se- 7. 111V 2- h. object" of this invention are to provide in a telliing machine. an improved combined sound box, and tone arm and u'xouuling therefor: to provide an imi-triction mounting tor :1 tone rm. and to provide other in vertical. central section Win 3 one omhodiment of llns invention? section on line looking in the direction ot 2 a horizontal Elllil l iu.
"1' u; lhe (lreu'i: one Qlllbfillh ii'n'ention comprises a hollow lune arm or souiul box arm 1. luh slam l"'l of which "preferably prosubs; utiellv horizontally autl the of which is turned downwardly l ;h on are of (legrees and terminates l I suhstzuilinlly vertical cylindrical porlion iounectetl lo the smaller end of the tone arm 3 in any Well known or suitable manner so as to communicate therewith and he ""zihle ugmarclly e115. downwardly with souzul hox l offiinv 1 construction. l u ho 10 ctmueotetl f the tone illlfl iii'u ens of a longitu- 11b9 11, one end of which is iiectetl to the Smaller end at the 1e othe enal of u in axial rilinemeiit with the larger end 4 of the sound box arm, a downwardly eK- tending hollow bracket or support 15 which is fixed in position by being rigidly secured to the usual cabinet (hotshot-vii) of the talking; machine" or to any other fixed support. The upper end of the hollow bracket 15 is substantially cylindrical in shape and is enlarged externally as at 16 and provided internally with an annular cylindrical reu short distancedownwardly into the en:
tieul socket l7.
'l'elescoping in the socket 17 of the hollow support 15 is a substantially cylindrical and \ortieul hollow head or casing 20, the lower end of the head being reduced in diameter externally, or provided with an external :iunulur recess, to form a cylindrical neck 31 which fits snugli bul removably into the recess 17 of'the. bracket Between the neck 21 of the casing and the uuoer portion thereof. there is thus formed an annular external shoulder which rests upon the upper encl of the bra cket 16 when the casing is in operative position in the bracket. The casing '20 heltlin a fixed position in the bracket 15 by means of a thumb screw 23 threaded through the upper portion of the bracket and engaging against the neck 21 of the casing. and the casing may be reaclil} removed from the bracketwhen the screw is loosened.
The upper end of the casing 20 surrounds and is spaced from the lower or larger end 4- of the tone arm 1, and is closed l) V an annular cover in vmich the larger end 4- of the tone arm The under witl. an annular Q erred, lo the arm by anysuitable means, the
sleeve-preferably fitting tightly around the 21 Till The sleeve is preferably enlarged. at
l 1 each end anal is provided at each end with cess extending from the top of thebracket largecl end or the bracket forming a ver' friction bulls on.
Oil-will an uni'iular external groove coaxial therewith to form annular liccringzs 31 for antiballs 32 surrounding the upper end sleeve rest in. an annular room-:13 by the annular bcuring f-ll upon the cod of the slccvc and unnulur licorrorincd by the inner portion m the: upper end of the casing and the adjacent 1c portion f the cover 25, and the balls surrounding the low-c1 end of the sleeve rest in an annular raceway formed between tho annular hearing 31 on, the lower end of the sleeve 30 and thc corrcsponding annular hcorin g 33 formed in, the casing.
Prc'rorzzhly but three balls 32 are uscd in each annular rnccivuy l'ietvvccn the sleeve 30 and the casing thus forming a three point'suoport in each raceway for the tone arm, llho tbicc balls in each raceway arc prcfcrnhly coin-spaced, each bull being separiitcd from each. suljacent ball by means of a scginchf 'l space bar 35, pz'cl'crablv round in cross section, which fits loosely in the raccwoy.
From the foregoing description, it ovidon't that this invention provides a simple rind duriihlc anti-friction mounting for a tone arm by which the tone arm will be rc strained to rotate or oscillate lrecly about u axis By providing the larger and of tho tone arm with spaced annular hearings or ruccvvziys, each containing a set of three bolls, tho larger end of the lone arm is held against ltl-l'fiflll' or longitudinal movcnicnt and the smaller or tree (and? of the tone arm restrained to rotate or oscillate smoothly and freely in a horizontal plane about an coincident with tho longitudinul vertical axis of the largcr end of the tone arni. By thusinounting the tone arm, a maximum clliciency of the sound box is obtained.
Although only 8.- single form has been illustrated hcrcin in which this invention may be embodied, the invention isnot limited to any particular construction but may be varied to meet various conditions Without departing from the spirit of this invention or the scope of the appended claims.
Having thus described my invention, 1. claim and desire to protcct by Letters Pub out of tho United States:
1. The combination iith a hollow brackct, of a hollow head dotsihnbly connected to said bracket and communicating thercwith, a. radial sound box arm rotzitably engaging The interior of the cars-- in said head, a sleeve surrounding and lined upon said arm in said head, and rotary antil riclion means between said slccve and said head. 7 i
The combinationwith a hollow bracket, of a hollow hcud dcluclmbly conncctcd to said 'brziclict and communicating therewith, a radial sound box arm rotatnll-ly engaging. in suid head, a. slccvc surrounding and fixed upon said arm in said head, .and ball hour ings between said sleeve and said head.
3, 'lhv combination with a hollow bond,
of a radial sound box arm engaging in said hollow head, a sleeve surrounding said arm and fixed t-hcrcon in said head, said slccvc being provided with annular rcccsscs and rotary untilric'lion lllHiIlh in said recesses, bctivccn said sleeve and said head l. The combination with a fixed hollow bracket having one end cnhu'gcd and providcd with an internal annular rcccss, of u hollow head detm'thably litvcil in said recess, 2i radial sound box arm engaging in said hollow head a slccvc surrounding said arm and fixed thereon in said head, said sleeve bcing'providcd with noun] 1' recesses, and bulls in said rcccsscs between said Hlccvo and said head.
5. The combination with a hollow head of :111 annular cover rcino'vubly connected to mid head, a radial sound box arm projecting through said covcr and into said head, a slcovc surrounding and fixed on said arm in said head and having annular grooves forming hearings, one of said grooves being adjacent the inner surface of said cover, and balls in said groovcs contacting with said sleeve and ivith said head.
' (3. The combination With a hollow bracket,
of ii hollow head (letachubly fixed thereon;
rounding and fixed on said armin said head and having annular grooves forming: boarings, one of said grooves being milj'uccnt the inner surface of said cover, and balls in said grooves contacting with said slecve and with said head.
7. The combination with a hollow head of an annular cover removnbly connectcd to said head, a radial sound box arm projecting through said cover and into said head, a sleeve surrounding and fixed on said arm in said head and having" annular grooves forming l'iearings, one of said grooves being odjlCf-lnl the inner surlocc of said cover, and balls in said groovcs contacting with said sleeve and with said head and its cover, snid head being enlarged internally to receive "said sleeve and said balls.
8. The combination with a hollow bra cltot cover r'emovahly connected to said head, a radial sound hos arm projecting through said cover and into said head, a sleeve surrounding and l and having ings, one of sale- 1 s inner surface said cover, and is grooves contacting with said sleeve and vii said head and its cover, said head being eniarged internailyto receive said sleeve and said balls.
9, The comh elifiil a so arm, of a sleeve one end of said 2 ing annular grooves in the opposite thereoisupporting members in said r and segmental spacing members oetween said supporting members.
3.0. The combination with a sound hos: arm, of a sleeve on one end of said arm, having annular grooves in the opposite ends thereof, equaliy spaced supporting members in said grooves, and segmental spacing members between said supporting members.
11. The combination with a sound box arm, of a sleeve on one end of said arm, having annular grooves in the opposite ends thereof, equally spaced rotary support ng, members in said grooves, and segmental spacing members between said rotary supporting members.
2. The combination with a sound box arm, of a sleeve on one end of said arm, having annular grooves in the opposite ends thereof, equally spaced rotary supporting members in said grooves, and segmental spacing members between said rotary supporting members, the rotary members in the respective grooves acting in opposite direc- 14. The combination with a sound box arm, of a sleeve on one end of said arm havannnlar grooves in the opposite ends thereof, three equi-spaced supporting inem hers in each of said grooves, and segmental spacing members between said supporting members.
15. The combination with a hollow bracket, of a hollow head detaohably conected to said hracket and communicating therewith, a radial sound box arm rotatably engaging in said head, a sleeve surrounding and fixed upon said arm in said head, and equi-spaced rotary anti-friction means between said sleeve and said head.
16. The combination with a bracket, of a hollow head detaohably connected to said bracket and communicating therewith, a radial soundbox arm rotatably engaging in said head, a sleeve surrounding and tired upon said arm in said head, and equi-spaoed ball bearings between said sleeve and said head.
In witness whereof I have hereunto fixed my hand this 27th day of July, A. D. 1911.
ions 0. ENGLISH. vi/'itnesses Enema B. MIDDLETON, J12,
Onannns 3F. WILLARD.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US5312337 *||Jun 8, 1992||May 17, 1994||Strato Medical Corporation||Catheter attachment device|
|US5562618 *||Jan 21, 1994||Oct 8, 1996||Sims Deltec, Inc.||Portal assembly and catheter connector|
|US5613945 *||Jun 7, 1995||Mar 25, 1997||Sims Deltec, Inc.||Portal assembly|
|US5632729 *||Jun 6, 1995||May 27, 1997||Sims Deltec, Inc.||Catheter connector|
|US5743873 *||Sep 16, 1996||Apr 28, 1998||Sims Deltec, Inc.||Methods for using catheter connectors and portals, and methods of assembly|