US 1186642 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
A. S. ALANIY.
SANITARY DISPLAY CASE.
APPLICATION FILED JAN.18, 1.915.
l 1 86,612'. Patented June 13, 1916.
2 SHEETS-SHEET 1.
A. S. ALAIVIY.
SANITARY DISPLAY CASE.
APPLICATION FILED IAN. I8. I9I5.
Lw. PIIIenIedJune 13, I9I6.
2 SHEETS-SHEET 2.
K4/2.65555.. fmfmml @ABRAHAM S. ALAMY, OF WAUSAU, WISCONSIN.
c SANITARY DISPLAY-CASE.
. Specification of Letters Patent. Patentd June 13,1916.
Application led January 18, 1915. Serial No. 2,948.
To all whom z't may concern.'
Be it known that I, ABRAHAM S. ALAMY, a subject of the Sultan of Turkey, a resident of Wausau, in the county of Marathon and State of Wisconsin, have invented new and `useful Improvements in Sanitary Display- Cases, of which the following is a specification.4 i
My invention relates to improvements in sanitary display cases, and the prlncipal object is to provide a case of this character which may be used to display' candies, con- I fections, pastries, bread, fruit, meats, or in fact many other articles which it is advisable and necessary to have completely covered from contamination by germs, dirt, dust, smoke, etc., and at the same time displaying them so that the customer may see the goods.
A further object is the provision of such a case which may be readily disassembled for the purpose of transportation, and in which the sides, ends and top may be readily re-` placed, should they become damaged, the' bottom and frame of the case being made preferably of metal.
A further object is the provision of such a case which is simple in construction, attractive in appearance and cheap to manufacture.
Further objects include improvements in details of construction and arrangement, whereby my new and improved article is provided.
To the accomplishment of the foregoing and such other objects as may hereinafter appear, my invention consists in the combination, construction and arrangement of parts hereinafter described, and then sought to be defined in the appended claims, reference being had to the accompanying draw-v ings forminga part hereof, and which shows merely for the purpose of illustrative disclosure, a preferred embodiment of my invention, it being understood that various changes may be made in practice within the scope of the claims. without digressing from my inventive idea.
In the drawings, Figure l represents a perspective view of a case constructed according to my invention; Fig..2 represents a horizontal section across one corner of the case looking downwardly; Fig. 3 represents a vertical transverse section of a portion of the case looklng toward the rear end; Fig. 4 represents a horizontal section across one of the front corners of the case looking upf.
wardly. Fig. 5 represents a vertical longitudinal-section of a portion of the rear end of the case; Fig. Gis a perspective view of the base or bottom frame member; and
Fig. 7 is an inverted perspective view of the to or cover frame member.
isplaying certain classes ofl edibles in open cases is prohibited by statutes or ordinances in various localities on account of the unsanitary features of this method of dis lay. In exposing articles, they are apt l to e contaminated by the air or by handling or by fliesvand other insects, also deteriorated in value and appearance. A case constructed according to my invention vdisplays the goods so that the purchaser can see the same Without the necessity of han-l dling or exposure to various contaminating infiuences. g
This case is particularly designed for the display of candies, and other sweet foods, but as stated above,'may be used for other purposes as desired.
A case constructed according to my invention includes essentially, a frame structure comprising a base member and a top member, having suitable side and end members or panels fitted therein,these latterbeing preferably of glass, so as to expose the member are separable for the purpose of readily assembling and disassembling the case. A suitable cover or slide is provided, permitting access to the interior of the case.
Referring now to the drawings, the numeral l designates the base member of the frame, including the bottom member Q, which is substantially rectangular in shape and having the upstanding corner posts or supports 3, these latter being substantially right angular in form. I also provide the flange or bead 4 around the edge of the bot.- tom 2, this flange being in alinement with the sides of the lcorner posts or supports 3, as shown. Within and spaced from said corner posts or supports 3, I provide the additional corner posts or supports 5, which are right-angular in form and somewhat smaller than said first mentioned corner posts or supports. `I also provide in alinementwith the sides of these last' mentioned corner posts. or supports 5, the flange or bead 6, this flange or bead 6 being spaced from the first mentioned fiange or bead 4 to form channels so `as to'- receive the panels or side members, to be more specifically referred to hereinafter. It is' .t'o be noted that .the outer corner posts orsupports'3 extend higher than theinner `corner posts or supports 5.
The cover or top'member of the frame 7' is also .substantiallyrectangular in shape to correspond with theshapepof the'bottom,
and is provided. with a channel'or groove 8. along the two sides `and the` front end, this above saiid channeled portion so as to pro- `1' vide the slot or opening 12. It is to be noted that at the rear end, the rear sides ofthe panel 16 is then placed in position.
n l corner posts or supports 3 and are cut away as at 13, so as to receive the end. channel member 10 thereon, it being noted that this channel member is lower than the channel portions of the sides and. front end of the top or cover portion of the frame.
It is seen therefore, that the 'frame comiprlses the bottom 0r base memberand theI top or'cover member, and in assembling a case constructed according to my invention, the side panels 14 are placed in position in the bottom or base member, the lower edge resting in the space or grooveprovided bef` tween the flange portions 4 and 6 and their end portions resting between the spaced corner posts or supports 3 and 5. v The front end panel 15 is then placed in position between the corner posts or supports, its lower edge resting in a'channel or groove provided by the spaced fianges 4 and 6. The rear end panel is preferably in the form of a mirror so as to cause a doubledisplay of the con-A tents of the case and is somewhat shorter than the front end panel. The top o r cover member of 'the frame'is then placed in'position, the corners fitting over the outer corner postsor supports 3, so as to brace and hold the structure together, the side and front end panels fitting in the channel portion or member 8, as shown particularly in Fig. 3. At the rear end the channel portion or member 10 fits over the rear end panel,
O the inner side of said channel fitting over the side of the inner 'corner posts or supports 5. By this construction, the case is "securely assembled, and the panels h'eld in position. However, the engagement between the top or cover member and the corner posts or supports, is merely frictional and in l.case oney of the panels are broken, the cover may be readilyfremoved sothat the damaged panel may be replaced.
The lid or top comprises the plate member 17 having a metal bound edge 18 and a ring Y 19 for convenient manipulation. This lid or top is inserted through the slot or opening 12 and slides on the horizontal flanges or portions 9 of the channel members 8 of the sides and front end membersof the top or cover member of the frame, this being clearly shown in Fig. 1. At the front end of this frame, I provide the overhung kpor- 4tion 20, whereby when the lid is closed, it will be securely held in position. To materially decrease the possibilityl of breaking and chipping of the parts, I provide the layer of felt 21 along the horizontal Harige 9 and I also provide the layer of rubber or similar material 22 along the bottom .of the groove or channell provided by the spaced flanges 4 and 6.
While I have shown a case substantially rectangular in shape, it is to be understood that the shape maybe varied as well as the size and that it is suitable for use by confectioners, bakers, grocers, butchers, fruit venders, and in fact, any place where eatables arestored or displayed for public sale.`
The device is attractive in appearance and cheap to manufacture, and displays the articles in a sanitary manner, freeing them from the possibility of contamination. 1 y
ItisA to be notedthat the side panels 14, front end panel 15 and plate member 17 are all transparent, vbeing made of glam, so that the case is entirely open to view from all sides. A s stated above, the mirror in the rear end-affords the customer a double view ofthe contentsof the case.
What I claim is:
1. "A device4 of the. character described,
including in combination, a base or bottom member substantially rectangular,I in vshape and having right-angularfposts or supports at each corner and a-flange or bead extend- Aing between each post or support, additional posts or supports positioned adjacent said first mentioned posts or supports and lspaced therefrom, said base or bottom member also having a' flange or bead member extending therearound in line with said second men-- tioned posts or supports, vkand spaced from said first mentioned beadl or flange member to form vpanel receiving channels, a top frame member corresponding in shape to said base or bottom member and having a channel portion corresponding 'in sha-pe to `the channel provided by said spaced Hange orbead members, said top frame member being adapted to tit over and frictionally engage the-outermost of said corner posts or supports, and having an inwardly extending iange, panels positioned in said channel portions and between said spaced posts or supports and a lid or cover slidably arranged in said top frame member and resting on said inwardly extending iangie.`
2. A device of the character described, in-
cluding in combination, a base or bottom j member substantially rectangular in shape 'les and having right-angularposts or 'supports at each corner and a iiange or bead extending between each post or support, additional posts or supports positioned adjacent said first mentioned posts or supports andspaced therefrom,-said base or bottom member also having a ange or bead member extending therearound in line with said second mentioned posts or supports and spaced from said rst mentionedbead or flange member to form panel receiving channels, a top frame member corresponding in shape to .said base or bottom member and having three ofvits sides channeled to correspond to the channel provided on three of the sides of said base or bottom member, said to frame member also having a flange exten ing inwardly from said channel portions, the other side of said top frame member being provided with a channel portion located below said other channel portions therein,
and having a slot or opening provided there- Y above, panels mounted in said channel portionsand between said spaced corner posts or supports, and a lid or cover adapted to be moved through said slot or opening and to rest on said inwardly extending flange.
3. A device of the character described including in combination, a metallic base or bottom member substantially rectangular in adapted to fit over and frictionally engage said corner posts or suppor s, a lid vor cover slidably mounted in said top frame member and panels mounted in said channels and in the spaces of said corner posts or Jsupports.
4. A device of the character described, including in combination, a base or bottom Vmtmflber substantially rectangular in shape being of greater height than the` and having a pair of upstanding posts or supports at each corner thereof, saidposts being spaced apart, said bottom member also having (sipaced flanges or members in line with sai spaced corner posts to provide panel-receiving channels,` anvintegral` top frame member substantially rect-angular in shape, and having a channeled portion corresponding to said channels, inthe bottom member and adapted to t over said corner posts, said top frame member also having a horizontal flange and extended portions overhanging said ange at the front end, panels positioned in said channeled portions and between said spaced corner posts, and a lid or cover slidable in said top member and resting on said flange, said overhanging portions serving to hold the lid in position. t
5. A device 'of the character described including in combination, a metallic base or bottom member substantially rectangular in shape and having a pair of spaced integrahposts or supports extending .upwardly from each corner thereof, the` outer posts being of greater height than the inner posts, said base or bottom Amember having channels provided in line with the spaces between said corner posts or supports, a top frame member corresponding in shape to said base or bottom member and lhaving channels corresponding to the channels in the base or bottom member, t-he outside member of the channel being longer than the inside member, said top frame member being adapted to fit over and frictionally' engage said corner posts or supports, a lid or cover slidably mounted in said top frame or member and panels mounted. in said channels and in the space between said corner posts or supports. t
6. A device of the character described, including in combination, a metallic base or bottom member substantially rectangular in shape and having a pair of spaced supports extending upwardly from-each corner thereof, said supports being of right angled cross section and the outer support being of greater height than the inner support and the supports for the rear end having their rearV sides cut away, said base or bottom'\` member having channels provided in line between the base of said corner posts or'supports, the top frame member corresponding in shape to said bottom member and having three of its sides channeled to correspond to the channels provided on three of the sides of said base .or bottom member, the other side of said top frame member being provided with the `channel portion located below said otherchannel portions,- and fitting over the cut-away portions of the rear sides of said rear posts, said top frame member having a bar extending across the top thereof and spaced from sa-id last mentioned 4, 1 1,1se,s42
channel portion to providev afslot or openber, and a lid or coveradafpted to be m6`ved ing therein, said top 'frame member having through said slotor opening and to rest on a flange extending inwardly from said chansaid inwardly extending flange.
nel portions in yline with said slot or open- ABRAHAM S. ALAMY.I
ing, panels' mounted in said channelsv be? (Witnesses: i tween said corner supports and said baseor GEORGE T. BEAN, bottom member and sald top framen mem- J. M. ANDERSON.