US 1208393 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
E., SMART WML CASE.
APPLICATWN FILM) OCT- i4,
19ml mmm/Eu ocr. i7. 191e.
ld. DE@ mi ww.
:a SHEETS-*sain 1.
T.... un A .An MC SL .M EL. .W E.
APPLICATION FILED OCT- I4 pm 1 9 1 2, 1 u 6 D m m qu P 2 SHEETS-SHEET 2.
mi linnen new Specification of Letters Patent.
Patented D lilith?.
Application. fried october i4, 15H5, Serial No. 55,811. Renewed october 17, 1916. Serial No. 12%,186
To all /w/iom t may concern lle it known that l, Exim. l. @einen a citizen of the TUnited States? residing :it Hartford, Connecticut, have invented n cer` tfiin new and useful improvement in Wall- Grises, oi? which the following: is it -tull7 clear7 and exact description.
My invention relates to-1in1provements in sectional wall cases, sind has for its object to produce :i will cose which cnn he easily huilt up from n few number of parte and added to indelinitel;T so that it may he enlarged :is desired.
lt further has for its ohject to produce Wall cose, the ports of which when disassembled take up but little room. :ind ure easily nninufoctured.
lt further hns for its object to reduce the numher 01": fzirts necessary @ind reduce the number of slfinping and bending operations.
lt urthei' has tor its otject to reduce or eliminate the necessity of rivotii'ig.
The 'following is :i description of an embodiment ol my invention, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, in Which- Figui'e l is e perspective view of n. Well cese embodying' my invention. Fig. t2 ii `longitudiinil section of the sinne on n vertical plone 'passing' through the center thereof. Fig. 3 is o perspective view olI an intermediate member. -i is a. perspective view of one of the transverse plate n'iemhers. Fig. 5 is :i side elevation partly in section of o. tubular spacer. Fig. 6 is n. Side elevation of a connector. Fig. 'i' is n side elevation of et nut l'or connecter.
Referring more particularly to the dreivings,1-l-- nre transverse nienihiiers consisting of lint plates haii/'ing punched therein the holes 2N2, "VMEZ, 3- notch 4C ino round h 6 isV an srshaped interi. having the usuel conductor open. :is punched 'therein end side projections t---S and SHQ, the prcjiections 8m@ being locuted at heights corresponding 'to' the holes and 3-3 and the projections SWS) heilig located :it heights coi-respending` to the openings 2--2 and 25%? in plates l. Vthe intermediate members sire also provided With projections 'l0 which are adapted to lill. one hlt the notch Tivo hf-shzined in mhers 6, when properly placed, i divided il -shuped fruetnre eonstiti UL shaped pitite sept inemhers ll is lirst passed con he huilt ll is a connector hoviiw formed thereon et one end :i reduced screw thi-esi l2 und in the other end o hond w threaded recess 13. l't is n screw driver slot lei.
l5 is :1 nut prf'ided with r. screw driver slot lo and adapted 'to he screwed upon any screw threaded projection l2.
17 is :i tubular spacer surroiniding;r the shank of the connector il. and sulliciently hirge to admit the heard -of seid member. as shown in Fig. 2. This spacing member l? is preferably, though not necessiti-ily. Used.
ln :ssemhling' the well coed one oi" the throng-h the hole 5 in one of the plates l. @no o." the spacers i7, if such spacer is use/i, is then placed over the shank of the connector lll. and tvro or the members G are then ad i d prf jiections 9 of one meinher ii np; in the holes ffl/*2' of the plate l and the projec-v tions 8-t5 of the other member .fitting` in the holes I---S of the plete. il nother plate l s then added, the free proj( l i i n screw also provided with t3 are applied to the plate l through which the heed of the member ll protrudes, :i seo ond spacer 17, if used, is placed over said' heed, n. third plate l is applied und o. secl ortion' ond member 1l is passed through 'the third Y plate l and the second spacer i7 and its inner end is screwed into the screw thi-ended recess l?) in the first nieinhcr ll. l repenting 'these operations any number :it sections up so as to multe n. oividcd Well cese having any desired nninhcr oi'E cheniloers.
lit Wiil he seen from the iforif Going th 't zit most :i "well onse proper containing` ii single chamber requires but tivo end pieces7 :in in`V termedinte tri-shaped piece, :i con eotor and a nut., tive pieces in all. llt the tl--sheped member is divided into two portions, showmso that the ports thereof mary he easily nested, only six pieces ire required, sind it the spacer l? is sed, only seven pieces are reqoirech there heinef no riveting. ln o.
rl y smell f: .iilfir inmner the addition of similarnumber of parts, the cluding the spacer only four kinds of which parts are also.
preferred form, in- 17, requiring the use of additional parts, all of present in the rst. section The case as above described is supplied 1. In a Wall case, the combination of two `end plates provided with openings adjacent to each of their ends, intermediate separatlng means having vertical and horizontal portions provided on both sides with projections which enter said openings in the plate members, and clamping means passing through said two plate members and be- 4 plate members, a
tween the upright portions of said separating means.
2. In a wall case, the combination of two end plates provided with openings adjacent to each of their ends, intermediate separating means having vertical and horizontal portions provided on both sides with projections Which enter said openings inv the plate members, clamping means passing through said two plate members and between the upright portions of said spacing means, and a spacer surrounding said clamping means.
3. In a Wall case, thecombination of two end plates provided with openings adjacent to each of their ends, intermediate separating means havin vertical and horizontal portions providedg on both sides with projections which enter said openings in the headed externally threaded clamping screw passing through said two plate members and between theaipright portions 'of said spacing means, said clamping screw having also a screw threaded recess in its head adapted to receive the externally screw threaded portion of a similar clamping screw.
4. In a Wall case, the combination of two 'portions provided on both ratingmeans entering offset openings inA said plate members.
5. In a wall case, the combination of two' end plates provided with openings adjacent to each of their ends, intermediate separating means having vertical and horizontal sides with projections which enter openings in the plate members, clamping means passing through said ltwo plate 'members and between the upright portions of said separating means, said separating means being Idivided so as to form two L-shaped membersi (l. In a wall case, the ccnibipation of two .end plate members providedjwith openings adjacent to each of their ends', intermediate L-shaped separating means having vertical and horizontal portions provided on both sides with projections which enter said openings in the plate members, clamping means passing through said two plate members and betweenthe upright portions of said separating 1neans,'said end plate members beingT each provided with an opening near its bottom and the lower ends of said L-shaped separating means being provided on cach side with lateral projections adapted to simultaneously enter said last mentioned openings.
7. In a wall case, the combination oi two end plates provided with openings adjacent to each of their ends, intermed.1te separating means having vertical and horizontal portions provided on both sides with projections which enter said openings in the end plates, a clamping screw passing through said two end plates and between theI upright portions of said spacingmeans, and a nut engaging the screw threaded portion ot said clamping screw.
EZRA E. SMART.