US 1275059 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
M. McC'ABE. FOLDABLE STAND FOR SEWING MACHINES.
APPLICATION FILED AUG.3I. I917.
'Pa tented Aug. 6, 1918 2 SHEETS-SHEET l.
- INVENTOR M ATTORNEY I" NORRIS PETERS 0a. mwmumu wAsmNowN o. c.
'FOLDABLE STAND FOR SEWING MACHINES.
APPLICATION FILED AUG-31. I917- Patented Au 6,1918- 2 SHEETSSHEET 2.
aa) J6 J5 I) 57 a I ATTORNEY PETERS 00.. Pno'ru-urna. wAsumcron. a c
MARY McGAIBE, or NEWGYORK, N. Y. I
FOLDABLE STAND FOR SEWING-MACHINES.
Specification of Letters Patent,
Patented Aug. 6, 1918.
Application filed August 31, 1917. Serial No. 189,145.
To all whom it may concern: Be it known that I, MARY MOCABE, a c1t1- zen of the United States, residing at New York city, in the county of New York and State of New York, have invented new and useful Improvements in Foldable Stands for Sewing-Machines, of which the following is a specification.
This invention relates to foldable stands for sewing machines and it has for its objectto produce a sewing machine support or stand of simple and improved construction which may bevreadily folded into small compass so that it may be conveniently carried and stored.
A further. object of the invention is to produce a foldable stand or sewing machine support of simple and improved construciton in which the parts will be strongly braced and reinforced so as to insure the necessary strength and rigidity.
With these and other ends in view which will readily appear as the nature of the invention is better understood, the same consistsin the improved construction, novel arrangement and combination of parts hereinafter fully described and particularly pointed out in the claims. 7
In the accompanying drawing has been illustrated a simple and preferred form of the invention, it being, however, understood that no limitation is necessarily made to the precise structural details therein exhibited,
but that changes, alterations and modifications within the scope of the claims may be resorted to when desired.
In the drawings Figure 1 is a front view of a stand constructed in accordance with the invention, the same being shown extended and with a sewing machine in position thereon.
Fig. 2 is a vertical sectional view taken on the line 22 in Fig. 1.
Fig. 3 is a view in side elevation, of a portion of the stand.
Fig. 4 is a View in end elevation, partly in enlarged,
' section, of the parts shown in Fig. 3.
Fig. 5 is a sectional detail view taken on the line 55 in Fig. 3'. I Y
Fig; 6 is a detail view in elevation of a portion of the bridge frame. i
Fig; 7 is a perspective detail view of'the lower portion of one side member, of the stand showing also a portion of the treadle engaging the same.
' Fig. 8 is a detail viewin elevation of a portion of the treadle and one of the pivot members of the same.
Fig. 9 is a view in side elevation of the device folded for storage or transportation. Corresponding parts in the several figures are denoted by like characters of reference.
The frame structure of the improved sewing machine stand or supporting device comprises two substantially similar side members A, B each of which consists of a top member 15 and a bottom member 16,
said top and. bottom members being connected together by hinges 17 so that they.
may be compactly folded as seen in Fig. 9 and extended for serviceas seen in Fig. 1.
i The top and bottom'members 15, 16 are pro the parts are assembled, lies in the plane of the upper end edges of the members 15 of the parts A and B. The upper ends of the members 15. are provided with hinge lugs 24: adapted to receive between them eyes '25 formed in strips 26 which are secured on the underside of the table 27. Said table. is permanently connected with the top member 15 of the side member A by a pintle 28, said table being also detachably connected with the top member 15 of the side member B by a readily detachable pin or bolt 29..
The table 27 is provided with a downwardly extending stud 30 engaging a slot or recess 31 in the flange 23 of the bridge member, and thereby stiffening the construction and preventing any tendency of the stand 'to wabble orto. sway laterally. 5 5
Journaled on the inner face of the bottom member 16 ofthe side member B is a fiy wheel 32 having a circumferential groove 33 for the reception ofaband 34 whereby, it may be connected with the driving wheel 35 of a sewing machine conventionally shown at 36. The bottom members 16 ,of the side members A and B are provided near their lower ends with -U-shaped socketsf37 the inner wall portions of which are'provided with grooves 38. The treadle 39"is provided with pintles or pivot members 40 for engagement with the U-shaped sockets 37 each of said pivot members having a terminal head 11 engaging the grooves 38'of the respective sockets, thereby serving to brace the lower ends of the members 16 and to connect said members together and to space them apart without in the least interferring with the pivotal movement of the treadle. The treadle is provided at one of the rear corners thereof with a lug with which is pivotally connected a rearwardly extending arm 413. A pitman it connects the arm at?) with the recess pin 4-5 of the fly wheel 32. This construction, it will be observed, permits the pitman to be folded lengthwise with respect to the pedal member 39 when the device is collapsed as seen in Fig. 9.
The bottom members 16 of the side members A and B are each provided with a socket 46, said sockets being for the reception of the ends of a transverse brace bar 17 whereby the upper end portions of the members 16 are connected together and spaced apart when the device is extended in position for operation as seen in Fig. 1, the ends of the brace bar 17 being dove-tailed as best seen at e8 in Fig. 5 for engagement with the correspondingly constructed socket members 46.
From the foregoing description taken in connection with the drawings hereto annexed the operation and advantages of this invention will be readily understood. The parts of the improved device may be strongly made without making them excessively heavy, the entire construction being of such a character that the parts, when assembled and extended for use, will be strongly reinforced at all points. The general construction is simple and inexpensive, and the improved device has been found to be thoroughly useful for the purpose for which it is intended, it being found possible to collapse the device into very small compass so that it may be readily carried from place to place and stored when required, thus producing a device which is exceptionally useful in apartments where floor space is limited.
WVhat is claimed, is
1. A device of the class described comprising side members each including a top member and a bottom member and hinges whereby said top and bottom members are foldably connected together, said top and bottom members being each provided adjacent to'their meeting edges with tapering guideways, a bridge member, a table extending between the top members and supported therefrom, the bridge member having limbs provided with wedges for engagement with said guide ways and a third limb engageablewith the table between the ends thereof.
2. A device of the class described comprising side members each including a top member and a bottom member and hinges whereby said top and bottom members are foldably connected together, said top and bottom members being each provided ad jacent to their meeting edges with tapering guideways, and a bridge member, the limbs of which are provided with wedges for engagement with said guideways, said bridge member having an upwardly extending neck portion provided with an angular flange having a recess, in combination with a table hingedly connected with the top member of one of the side members and detachably connected with the top member of the other side member, said table having a downwardly extending stud engaging the recess in the angular flange. i
3. A foldable supporting stand for sewing machines comprising foldable side members each comprising top and bottom members having tapering guideways adjacent to their meeting edges, a bridge member having wedges for engagement with the guideways and a table connected with the upper ends of the top members of therespective side. members, said table being supported intermediate its ends by the bridge member.
l. In a device of the class described, a pair of foldable side members comprising hingedly connected top and bottom members, a table lying between said side mem bers and supported therefrom, and means for assembling said side members in spaced relation, said assembling means including means whereby the top and bottom members of the respective side members will be maintained in extended position against collapsing, and including a portion engageable with the table between the ends thereof when the side members are set up.
5. In a device of the class described, a pair of foldable side members comprising hingedly connected top and bottom members, a table extending between said side members and supported therefrom and means for assembling said side members in spaced relation, said assembling means including means whereby the top and bottom members of the respective side members will be maintained in extended position against collapsing, the "bottom members of therespective side members being provided near their upper ends with dove-tailed sockets, and said bottom members being spaced apart by a bar having dove-tailed ends engaging said sockets, and a portion on the assembling means engageable with the table;
6. In a device of the class described, a pair of foldable side members comprising hingedly connected top and bottom members, a table extending between said side members, and means for assembling said side members in spaced relation, said as sembling means including means whereby near their lower ends with U-shaped sockets the top and bottom members of the respechaving grooves in the inner Wall portions tive side members will be maintained in exthereof, in combination with a treadle hav- 10 tended position against collapsing and a ing pintles provided with heads engaging 5 portion for supporting the table between the the grooves in the respective sockets.
ends thereof, the bottom members of the In testimony whereof I aflix my signature. respective side members being provided MARY McOABE.
Copies of this patent may be obtained for five cents each, by addressing the Commissioner of Patents, Wilmington, D. 0.