|Publication number||US1317241 A|
|Publication date||Sep 30, 1919|
|Filing date||May 29, 1919|
|Publication number||US 1317241 A, US 1317241A, US-A-1317241, US1317241 A, US1317241A|
|Inventors||Charles H. Tharp|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (4), Classifications (4)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
C. H. THARP.
GARMENT HOLDING FORM.
APPLICATION FILED MAY 29, I919.
Patented Sept. 30, 1919.
CHARLES H. THABP, OF CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, ASSIGNOR TO SEARS, ROEBUCK AND 00., OF
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, A CORPORATION OF NEW YORK.
1311 7 24L Specification of Letters Patent. Patented Sept, 3Q 1919 Application filed May 29, 1919. Serial No. 300,698.
To all whom it may concern: down over the body 1, a shoulder pad of Be it known that I, CHARLES H. THARP, ample size will be formed. When the form a citizen of the United States, residing at is in flat condition, the inner edge 7 of the Chicago, in the county of Cook and State of flap 2 preferably lies in substantially the 5 Illinois, have invented certain new and same plane as the vertical axis of the form, 60 useful Improvements in Garment-Holding and thus when the flap 2 is folded down over Forms, of which the following is a specithe body 1, the edge 7 lies substantially close (nation. to the body 1 so that the downward slope of This invention relates to improvements in the shoulder pad is gradual from its outer to garment holding forms, and the main object its inner side. 8 is a substantially semi-cir- 65 to the purchaser.
30 Fig. 3 is a fragmentary perspective rear sus ended.
of this invention is to provide a packing cular slit in the flap 2 forming a tongue 9. device which can be used by mail order The tongue 9 is bent upwardly at substanhouses and other dealers in clothing in packtlally right angles to the flap 2 so that when ingmens suits and overcoats for shipment said flap is folded down over the-body 1,
' said tongue 9 will project downwardly to- 70 Another object is to provide a garment ward the body 1. form of improved construction which may At a suitable distance below the crease or be stored in a flat condition and assembled indentation 3, the body is provided with a ready for u in a short time, substantially semi-circular slit 10 forming The invention consists generally of a flat a tongue 11, said tongue being caused to 75 substantially rectangular sheet of suitable assume a vertical position with reference to material, preferab y cardboard or fiberboard, he body 1 when the flap 2 is folded down having two flaps adapted to form thickened over the body 1. shoulder pads for the garment. A hanging A neck tab 12 is preferably provided betab is also provided at the top of the form tween the flaps 2, and at 13 is formed an 80 for hanging u aid f aperture by means of which the form may In the drawings, Figure 1 is a plan view 01- hung up. A suitable di t b l th of the form in flat condition. Fig. 2, is a oblique slits 5, a transverse slot 14 is proplan view of the device in operative form. Vi d through which slot trousers may be view of the flap-fastening means, and Fig. n assembling the device into operative 4 is a fragmentary sectional view taken on form, each of the flaps is bent forward li 4-4 f Fi 2, slightly along the indentation or crease3; the
Referring more particularly to the drawtongue 9 is bent upwardly, so as to lie subings, 1 represents a sheet of material p'referstantially at right angles to the flap 2; and 90 ably cardboard or fiberboard, of which the the tongue 11 is bent upwardly so as to lie form is made. A. pair of flaps 2 are preferat substantially right angles to the body 1. ably formed at the upper corners of the body T he flap 2 is then bent down over the body 1 1. At the junction of the flaps 2 and the he looking ongue 4 is caused to engage 40 body portion 1, is preferably formed a slopwith the slot 5. The projection 15 acts as 95 ing crease or indentation 3. Said crease or a Stop lug for said tongue and limits the indentation extends from the upper outer inser ion of Said locking tongue into the corner of the body portion 1 to the bottom slit (See Flg. 2). The tongue 11, lying inner edge of said flap. (See Fig. 1). On at rlght angles to the body 1, partially fits 4 the upper portion of the flap 2 is preferably into the aperture formed by the tongue 9 for formed a locking tongue 4, said tongue the reason that said tongue 11 is larger than being adapted to fit into locking engagement the aperture formed by the tongue 9, and with the substantially oblique slit 5 formed acts as a support for the shoulder pad. in the body 1 below said flap. Said oblique The tongue 9, because of the turning down slit 5 is preferably sloped upwardly toward f the flap'2, projects downwardly behind the vertical axis of the form 1. the tongue 11, so that said tongue 11 is The outer edge of the flap 2 curves outheld against. lateral -displacement by the wardly between the outer end of the sloping tongue 9 on one side and on the opposite crease 3 and the hook of the locking tongue or outer side by the aperture formed by 4, as at 6, so that when said flap 2 is folded the tongue 9. Upward or downward move- 11% 'm'ent shoulder pad, said flap ment is prevented by the locking tongue 4 and the stop lug 15 which are engaged in the oblique slit 5.
It will be seen that I have provided a garment form made of cheap material which may be stored in a fiat condition and can be prepared for use at a moments notice. Also the method of forming the thickened shoulder pad andholding the pad in a substantially rigid position is novel and advantageous.
I claim as my invention:
1. A device of the character described comprising a body portion, a flap foldable there'over to form a thickened garment shoulder pad, said flap having a locking tongue at its upper edge adapted to engage in a slit formed in the body portion, and means formed on the body portion and flap respectively, arranged to act as a support for the flap.
2. A device of the character described, comprising a body portion, a flap portion foldable thereover to form a thickened garportion being adapted to be secured to the body portion, and a tongue formed on. one of said portions and adapted to operatively engage with the other of said portions to support said shoulder pad in raised position with reference to the body portion.
3. A device of the character described, comprising a body portion, a flap foldable thereover to form a thickened garment shoulder pad, said flap having a locking tongue at its upper edge adaptedto engage in a slit formed in the body portion, and a tongue formed in the body portion adapted to engage in a slot formed in said shoulder pad for supporting said shoulder pad.
4. A device of the character described, comprising a body portion, a flap foldable thereovcr to form a thickened garment shoulder pad, a locking tongue formed on the upper end of said flap, an oblique slit formed "in the bodyto receive said locking tongue, a stop lug formed on said locking tongue and adapted to limit insertion of said locking tongue, and tWo tongues formed on the body and the flap respectively, ar-
ranged to co-act, and in conjunction with the locking tongue and stop lug hold said shoulder pad as a Whole against movement.
5. In a device of the character described, a body portion formed of sheet material, a neck tab, two sl1oulder-padfor1ning flaps located at either side of the neck tab, looking tongues carried by said flaps and adapted to engage in oblique slits formed in the body portion, lugs formed on said flaps adapted to limit insertion of the shoulderpadforming flaps into said oblique slits, a tongue formed on the body portion and a second tongue formed on the flap, said tongues being adapted to co-act when said flaps are folded down over the body, said co-acting tongues holding the shoulder-pad thus formed in a raised and fixed position with reference to the body.
6. In a device of the character described, a body portion formed of sheet material, a neck tab, two shoulder-pad-forming flaps located at either side of the neck tab, locking tongues carried by said flaps and adapted to engage in oblique slits formed in the body portion, lugs formed on said flaps adapted to limit insertion of the sl1oulderpad-foi'ming ,flaps into said oblique slits,,a locking tongue formed near the outer edge of said shoulderpad-forming flaps, and a substantially larger locking tongue formed on the body portion, both of said tongues lying substantially in the same plane, a substantial portion of the second mentioned tongue being adapted to engage in the aperture formed by the first mentioned tongue, the first mentioned tongue serving to hold the second mentioned tongue in the aperture formed by the first mentioned tongue.
7. A device of the character described comprising a. body portion, a flap foldable thereover to form a thickened garment shoulder pad, means adapted to secure the flap to the body portion, and means formed integral with the body portion adapted to sup port the flap at approximately the central part thereof in raised position with reference to the body portion.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand.
()HARLES H. THARP.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2478107 *||Aug 7, 1947||Aug 2, 1949||Kahn Lawrence M||Dress form|
|US2630948 *||Aug 5, 1950||Mar 10, 1953||Trubenizing Process Corp||Insert board|
|US5961033 *||Sep 14, 1998||Oct 5, 1999||Wang; Jeng-Ping||Packing board for supporting a folded-up shirt in shape|
|US20060060492 *||Sep 22, 2004||Mar 23, 2006||Sethi Harsh K||Article display device|