US 1406794 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
W. P, WHHLEH FOGTBAM RUSERS.
APFLICATLON msm fEB.7,1921.
Patented Feb. 14, 1922..
invii-mmm miam WH VfL-EY.
AT TO RNEYS I LEY, @itin-Jn of Img from the spis omy nvenmau; Wafer 10 form it imm a Q/Kim@ mfaadssc mnd having :L numbm: of substantially rw pad seciiom combindwih, Same in simil @GREG mal-Eme? iii-ar?, psndeny *sh pali maw iney to muse Sil' sitely-inclined slits 8 ertending downwardly from the upper edge of same, as shown in Figure l, thusl forming a center section ot' substantially V shape in general outline. It
Will of course, be understood that the particular shape of the pad sections 2 and 3 is immaterial, so long as said pad sections are of such form and are combined with the flexible or elastic band l in such a manner that said pad sections can inove suliiciently relatively to each other to not retard or interfere with the natural movements of the Wearers body.
The trousers are provided with hip pads C which are 'formed preferably by depending portions of the pieces of felt which constitute the side sections 3 of the pad B at the upper edgeot the trousers, each ci' said hip pads C being' provided with a plurality of substantially rigid stiflening devices 9 formed conveniently from pieces oi sheet fibre arranged in pockets on the rear side ot same, as shown in Figure l. By construct ing the hip pads in this manner said pads afford considerable protection to the Wearers hips, and as they contorni approxi-- mately to the .shape of the hips, duc, of course7 to the fact that the stiifeningr devices consist of separate pieces or sections 9, said hip pads Will not interfere With the natural movements the Wearers body. Moreover, as the hip pads C are suspended troni the elastic band l that snugly embraces the portion of the 'Wearers body above the. l1ips, said pads C Will cling to the hips more per tectly than it they were stitched. to the seat portions of the trousers. I also pre-fer to provide the spine pad 2 with an integral depending' portion 2"` that extends down- Wardly below thewaist band of the trousers. Y' ,y Having thus described niy' invention, what I claim as new and desire to .secure by Let ters Patent, is: f
l. A pair of foot yball trou'sersprovided at their upper ends with an attached kidney rib and spine pad composed of a number of substantially rigid sections connected together by elastic material. Y
2. A pair of foot ball trousers provided with an attached kidney, spine and rib pad that projects upwardly above the Waist band of the trousers and which is composed of an elastic band having a number of substam tially rigidl pad sections combined With saine in such a manner that said pad sections can move sutliciently with relation to each other to not restrict or interfere with the natural movements of the Wearers body. y y
3. A pair of foot ball trousers provided with an attached pad projecting upwardly above the Waist band portion of the trousers and composed of a number of separate pad. sections equippedv with substantially rigid incense stiiiening devices and connected together by elastic Webbingel. A pair of foot ball trousers provided at their upper edge With an attached upwardly projecting, elastic band Vthat is adapted to bedrayvn snugly around the portion of the wearer-s body above the hips, said band being equipped with a plurality of spaced pad sections each of which is composed of soft material, and a substantially rigid stiliening element. I
A pair of foot ball trousers havingr a flexible band secured to the upper edge portion of same, a spine pad secured to said band,` two groups of pad sections arranged on said band at opposite sides of said spine pad, and pieces ot' substantially rigid sheet material interposed between said band andv pads for stiliening said pads. Y
6. A pair of toot ball trousers provided at their upper end with an elastic band that is adapted to be drawn snugly around the por tion of the Wearers body above the hips, stili'ening elements ol substantially rigid sheet material combined with said band and capable of moving relatively to each other, and a pad associated with, euch of said stift* ening elements.
7. A pair of football trousers having a leXible band oi' elastic webbing attached to the upper edge portion ot saine, pieces of hea-Vy felt secured to the inner side of said band, a plurality ot spaced stiii'ening elements interposed between said band and pieces of felt, and open spaces between said pieces of 'telt located intermediate said stiffening elements. l
8. A pair ot Jfoot ball trousers having a flexible band of elastic webbing or the like secured to the upper edge lportion ot the trousers by rows of stitches that terminate at points on either side ot the back seam ot the trousers, a spine pad secured to the. inner side of said band at such a. point that it laps over the lower part of the spine, and pieces of felt secured to the inner side of said band at opposite sides of said pad and each provided With a. plurality of oppositely inclined slits that divide same into a plurality of sections that are capable of moving relatively to each other.
9.v Ap'air oli toot ball trousers provided at their upper end with an attached kidney, spine and rib pad composed ot an elastic band combined with a plurality of substan` tially rigid, spaced sections which are capable ot moving relatively to each other sut'-4 ficiently to not interfere with the natural movements' of the Wearers body, and hip pads suspended from said kidney, Vspine and ribypad andV arranged on the inside ot the trousers. l
10. A pair of foot ball trousers provided at their upper end With an attached elastic Leoenee bend that is edepted to be drawn snugly ei'ound' the portion of the wearee body above the hips; a plurality of seperated pad sere and provided at its free ends with flops 15 through which a lacing can be inserted so as, to draw said band snugly around the portion of the Wearers body above the hips, pieces Y of heavy felt secured tothe inner side of said band and extending downwardlyover the 20 wearers hips, and stiffening elements combined with said pieces of felt for protecting the wearers kidneys1 vribs and hips and so ari-winged that they can move'i'elatively to each other and thus not interfere with the 25 natural movements of the Wearers body.