US 1418740 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
W. G. SHELTON.
DISPLAY 0R ADVERTISING DEVlOE. APPucAUoN man 1m30. |920.
1,418,740. Patented June 6, 1922.
ZZ INVENTOR Civ any length of time.
orties WILLIAM estirar sientron.. or nnwronn. n.
nrsrnnr on anvnnfrisine nnvrcn.
Specification of Letters'glatent. Patgnted June 6, 1922.
Application filed January` 3G, i920. Serial No. 355,169.
T0 @ZZ w hom t may conce/Mt Be it known that l, l.VrLLrArvr @ENTRY Snnnron, a citizen of the United. States of America, residing in the boroughof Manhattan, ci y, county, and State of New York, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Display or Advertising De vices, ofwhich the'following is a specification. f
rllhis invention relates to display or advertising devices, and aims to provide iinpro vements therein.
The invention provides a device for producing a fountain, and combines therewith a motor-drive pump, and also conveniently illuminating means, the parts being coinbined as a portable unit, adapted 'to be placed in a shallow basin of water. rlhe fountain is supplied with waterfrom the basin, and the jets conveniently run back into the basin, so that a small quantity of water serves for running the fountain for The invention further provides a'simple, durable and easily manufactured device of the character described. Other features of improvement in the combination and in parts will be hereinafter set forth. 'f f An embodiment of vthe invention is illustrated in the accompanying drawing.
ln said drawing z- Fig. l is a vertical sectional view ofr said embodiment; and
Fig. 2 is a horizontal sectional view on the line H-ll, Fig. l. r
In said drawings, numeral lV designates a globe and 2 a base upon which said globe sets.
The base 2 conveniently comprises a marginal or rim. portion and a center portion 4. The riin portion 3 and the center portion 4 are conveniently connected by radial arms 5. Set screws '7, adapted to project over the rim 8 of the globe l., may be provided for holding the globe in place upon the base 2.
ln the riin portion 3 of the base2 there is provided a conduit 9, adapted to conduct water or other liquid. At desired points around the rim portion 3 of the base, there are provided a number of jet orifices ll, through which liquid from the conduit 9 is adapted to be projected in jets. These jet orifices ll are conveniently inclined n slightly to the axis of the base, so `that the jets fall inwardly upon the globe l.
The center portion iisv preferably made hollow, to constitute a casing for a pump, as indicated at i3, andvone of the arms 5 is'conveniently grooved kor made hollow so as-to provide` a channel` l5 connecting the interior of thecasing 13 with the conduit 9 .in the rim 3 of the base.
An impeller 19, preferably. of the rotary type, is provided in the pump casing 13, and said, impeller is preferably driven by an electric motor 2l. A. pair of conductors 23 serve for supplying the current to the motor. The center portion 4 is conveniently provided witli a socket, portion 22, in which' a projecting part of the casingof the rInotor or stud 2l is fitted, conveniently by means of screw threads.
y@n the top of the casing of the motor 2l there is preferably 'mounted lamp socket 25 and an incandescent lamp 26.
A set screw 29 projecting through the base into the conduit 15 serves as a convenient valve or means for regulating the flow of liquid to the conduit 9.y
The kpump casing i3, the conduit 9 and the conduit are preferably formed` as channels or recesses in the base, whichfare open at the bottom. To closethe recesses and channels, a plate 3l is provided. This plate fits flush against the under side of the base, and thereby closes the channels.
in opening 32 in the center part of the plate l provides an inlet to the pump casing 13. cut-out portion 33 in the plate 3l allows the conducting `wires 23 to pass from` the underside of the base tothe motor..-
ln use, the base, with its attached parts is intended to be set within a shallow basin or pan containing water or other liquid. `Feet are provided for slightly raising'the bottom of the base from the bottom ofthe j pan, so that the water is free to fiowbeneath the base, tothe inlet 32 of the pump. T he conductors 23 pass beneath the base, and over the edge of lthe basin, and a rubber .tube 3T may be yslipped over theparts of the conductor which pass under the water.
Upon the current being admitted to the conductors 23, it starts the motor 2l` and illuminatesthe lamp 26. Thel motor turns the impeller 19,. and water or other liquid is forced into the conduit 9,'via the conduit l5, and issues through the' orifices ll jets. The jet orifices being preferablyk Iinclined toward the axis ofthe base, the jets or streams of water fall onto the globe and flow dovvn said globe into the basin or pan into which the device is set. There is thereby produced a circulation of the Water in the pan or basin into the pump, outthrough thejet orifices and back again to the pan y channels `in the base.
lllhe globe l is preferably transparent or translucenaso that the light from the lamp may pass through the globe and illuminate the jets of Water or other liquid. y
The globe l serves to protect "the motor and lamp from the iets ot water. and is `readily removable for providing access to the motor and lamp.
`li/loreover. the device isconstit'uted by a minimum number of parts which are readily manufactured and readily assembled.
The inventive ideas herein set forth imay receive `otherembodiments than those specifically illustrated and described.
Vihat I claim is 4 l. A. display or advertising device conn prising a unitary base, a conduit comprised in the yrim ot' and integral with said base liaving jet orifices leading` from said conduit and adapted to direct upward streams of liquid from said basepand-a motor-actuated pump tor pumping `water in tosaid conduit. `said base being' adapted to rest in a shallmv basin., said base having a centrally located vpump casing` and a conduit leading:` from said pulnpvcasing to said iirst-named conduit. z
A displayor advertising' device comx risin a unitarv base said base com arising; i9 s i a rim portion. a center portion and radial arms connectingI said rim and center portions. a conduit comprised in said rim portion having` jet orifices leading` 'from said conduit and adapted to direct upward streamsof liquid from said base. and a motor-actuated pump for pumping1 water into said conduit, said base being adapted tonrest in a shallow basin `and said pump being adapted to draw liquid from said basin.
3. A display or advertising device compris ingr a unitary base..said base comprising n. rim portion. a` center portion and radial :arms eonnectinasaid rim and center portions. alconduit comprised in said rim portion having jet oriliceslmuling iii-om said ronduit and adapted to direct upward .streams oli liquid 'from said base and a motor-actuated pump for pumping water into said conduitpsaid base `being` adapted to rest -in a shallow basin and `said pump being` adapted to draw liquid from said basin. said baseihaving centrally located pump casing and one of' said radial arms having` a conduit leading from said pump casing to said firstnamed, conduit.
4. A display or advertising device com prising a unitary base a groove around the rim of said base having` jet orifices leading Vfromsaid groove and adapted to direct upward streams of liquid from said base. and a motor-actuated pump for pumping Water into said groove. said base being.` adapted to rest in a shallow basin and said pump being adapted to dranT liquid from said basin, `said base having a centrally located pump casing. a groove leadingfrom said pump casing to said first-named groove. said pump-casing and grooves being` formed in said base and being open at their under side. and a plate separable Llirom the base 'for closing the under side of said groove.
5. A unit comprising a unitary base adapted to` be set in a bowl ot Water, said basehaving a Water conduit therein. jet orifices .communicating with said condi'lit,and a pump and an electric motor. said base and motor having a stud andsoclret connection between them. said pump being' adapted to dravv Water from a bowl or the like and liorce lit into said conduit and out through said jetlorifices.
6. A vunit comprising` a unitary base adapted `to be set in a bowl of Water. said base' havinga Water conduit therein. jet orifices communicating with said conduit. and a pumV `and an electric motor., said base and motor iaving a stud and socketconnection between them. said base comprising' an annularportion in which said Water conduit and jet orifices are formed, and a central, portion having a pump casina therein. said pump being'` adaptedto draw water from a bowl or the like and force it into said conduit and out through .said ljet orifices.
7. A. unit comprising a unitary base adaptedto be set in a bowl of water.. said `base having.' a Water conduit therein.` jet orifices communicating` with said conduit. and a pump and an electric motor. said base and motor having.' astud andsoclet connection between them. said buse coi'nprisiim' an annular portion in which said water con- "duit and jet oriiices are formed. anda cen- `tral portion havmp; apump casinal therein..
radial arms connecting); aid :annular and central portion. and one of said arms having; aiconduit comiectingr said pump casino` and annular conduit. said `pump beingadapted to draw water from a bowl or the `like and force it into said conduit and outfthrourdl i said jet orifices.
In `Witness whereof, il have signed my name.
`WILLAM GENTRY `SHlill/TON.