US 1424109 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
APPLICATION FILED FEB. 7, 1921.
Patented July 25, 1922.
lNvENToR W' ym By M o h PATENT GFFICE.
WILLIAM S. MCBRIDE, 0F CALDWELL, OHIO.
Specification of Letters Patent.
Patented J uiy 25, 1922.
Application filed February 7, 1921. Serial No. 443,115.-
T0 all 'whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, WrLLIAM S. MoBRrDE, a citizen of the United States, residing at Caldwell, in the county of Noble and State of Ohio, have invented new and useful Improvements in Drilling Devices, of which the following is a specification.
This invention relates to well drilling apparatus, particularly for use in connection with oil wells, and has for its object the provision of means for drilling horizontally at any desired point along a well for any purposedesired.
An important and more specific object is the provision of a drilling device which may be lowered into a previously drilled well and which includes a bit member being carried by a flexible shaft device rotatable to effect rotation of the bit member and the carrier for the device being rotatable within the well whereby a cut of a complete circle may be formed if desired. c
An additional object is the provision of a device of this character which will be simple and inexpensive in construction, easy to use, efficient in operation, durable in service, and a general improvement in the art.
With the above and other objects and advantages in view, the invention consists in the details of construction to be hereinafter more fully described and claimed and illustrated in the accompanying drawings in which- Figure 1 shows a longitudinal sectional view through a well and my device,
Figure 2 is a cross sectional view on the line 2-2 of Figure 1, and f Figure 3 is a cross sectional view on the line 3--3 of Figure 1.
Referring more particularly to the drawings, the letter A designates a well. In carrying out my invention I provide a short section of casing 10 of a size to fit within the well and this casing is carried by tubing 11 of a length sufficient to reach at least to the top of the well. The lower e-nd of this tubing 11 is secured to a tubing section 12 which is secured and which is curved, as shown, so that its free'end will extend to and connectwith the side of the casing 10. Located within this tubing 11 is a small pipeor tube 13 which may be rotated by any desired means and which carries at its lower end a flexible shaft structure 14 which -extends through the curved tube 12 and which carto the casing 10- ries at its end a bit 15 and the purpose l of this hose is to conduct water to the bit.
In the operation of the device the casing 1() is lowered to a point where a horizontal cut is desired, the tubing 11 serving as a handle. When the shaft 13 is rotated the flexible shaft 14 will also be rotated and which will cause rotation of the bit 15 whereupon-the teeth 16 thereof will cut away the rock or other materials through which the well is drilled in the first place. The stream of water passin through the hose 17 will carry away the lfbris cut by the bit in the usual manner.' As the horizontal hole is formed the shaft 13 is feddownwardly so as to feed the bit into the material. As the hole is formed or the cut made the casing 10 may be rotated by means of the tubing 11 so as to extend the cut formed by the bit 15 more or less circumferentially of the original well, as will be readily apparent.
From the foregoing description and a study of the drawings it will be apparent that I have thus provided a very simply constructed and easily operated drilling device which will very efciently perform its function of drilling horizontally below the surface of the ground and which will therefore be useful for making enlarged chambers or the lik'e within the well or for other similar purposes.
While I have shown and described the preferred embodiment of my invention, it is of course to be understood that I reserve the right to make such changes in the form,
construction, and arrangement of parts as will not depart from the spirit of the invention or the scope of the subjoined claims.
Having thus describe(1 my invention, I claim:
1. A device of the character described comprising a casing insertable within a well. a tube secured .to said casing and serving as a handle for governing the position thereof, a hollow iexible shaft extending through said tubing, the lower end of said tubing being curved and extending to the peripheral wall of the casing, and a bit carried by said flexible shaft.
2. A device of the character described comprising a casing insertable within a well, a tube secured to said casing and serving as a handle for governing the position thereof, a hollow flexible shaft extending through said tubing, the lower end of said tubing being curved and extending to the peripheral Wall of the casing, a bit carried by said iexible shaft, and a Hexible hose extending through the hollow flexible shaft and adapted to conduct Water to the bit.
3. A device of the character described comprising a casing insertable Within a Well, a Atube secured to one side of said casing internally thereof, the lower end of said tube being curved and extending through the casing and terminating at the outer periphery thereof, a flexible sha-ft extending throug said casing, and a bit carried by the free end of the flexible shaft.
4. A device of the character described comprising a casing insertable Within a Well, a tube of considerably less diameter than the casing secured to the' inner periphery of the casing and serving as a handle for governing the position of the latter, the lower end of Said tube being curved and extending to the outer periphery of the casing, a flexible shaft extendin through said tube and a bit carried by said flexible shaft.
5. A device of the character described comprising a casing insertable Within a Well, a tube connected with and extending Within said casing and curved to have its extremity extend to the outer periphery of the casing, a flexible shaft Within said tube and a eutting bit carried by the flexible shaft.
In testimony whereof I aflix my signature.
, WILLIAM S. MCBRIDE.