|Publication number||US1507433 A|
|Publication date||Sep 2, 1924|
|Filing date||Aug 30, 1923|
|Priority date||Aug 30, 1923|
|Publication number||US 1507433 A, US 1507433A, US-A-1507433, US1507433 A, US1507433A|
|Inventors||Adolf H Schaffert|
|Original Assignee||Yawman & Erbe Mfg Co|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (12), Classifications (5)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Sept. 2 ,1924. 1,507,433
A.H.$CHAFFERT 7 FILE FOLDER Filed Aug. 30, 1923 Patented Sept. 2, 1924. p
UNITED "STATES 1,507,433 PATENT, OFFICE.
ADOLF H. scHArFER-T, O151ROCHESTER, new YORK, ASSIGNOR TO YAwMAn & E BE MANUFACTURING 00., A CORPORATION OF NEW YORK.
FILE FOLDER. I
Application filed August 30, 1923. Serial No. 660,089.
T 0 all whom it mag concern a citizen of the United States, and resident of Rochester, in the county of Monroe and State of New York, have invented a certain new and useful Improvement in File Folders, of which the following is a full, clear, concise, and exact description, reference being had to the accompanying drawing, forming a part of this specification.
This invention relates to improvements in folders such as are employed to hold correspondence when placed in the file.
In folders of thistype,it is customary for the file clerk to grasp the folder by the index tab when removing it from the file. It is, therefore, the object of the present invention to provide a folder having means for maintaining the papers within the file in place below the filing tab, and at the same time provide a folder having a filing tab sufficiently firm that the folder may be removed from the file without danger of tear ing the filing tab from the folder.
In the drawings, Figure 1 is a perspective view of one form of folder, partly open;
Figure 2 is a similar view of the upper edge of the back of a modified'form of folder, and
Figure 3 shows still another form of folder.
Referring now to Figure 1 of the drawings, 10 indicates the back of the folder, and 11 the cover, which are joined along the fold 12. If desired, the cover may be creased as indicatedat 13 so as to,accommodate a large quantity of paper. i
The back portion 10 of the folder has a rebent portion, the right end 1 1 of which is firmly secured to the back portion by means of paste or glue. The rebent portion is also firmly secured to the back portion 10 throughout its entire upper edge as indie cated at 15. Integral with the portion 15 is the flap 16 adapted to overlie the papers in the folder. The flap 16 is preferably provided with an auxiliary crease or fold 17 so as to accommodate a considerable number of papers and still overlie the upper edges thereof.
The upper edge of the portion 15 is preferably cut away so as to eave at the right end of the upper edge an upstanding portion which constitutes the label tab 18. In
view of the fact that the part 14: is carried well "downonto the back portion, the folder Be it known that I, ADoLF I-I'. SGHAFFERT,
may be readily grasped by the tab portion 18 without danger of'tearing the tab from the-folder, the flap 16 being arranged at the same time to overlie the papers within the folder and maintain them in position so they will not work up and obscure the legend on the filling tab. The label-bearing portion 14 may be placed at either end of the folder, or, in fact, anywhere along the upper edge of the back portion of the folder without departing from the spirit of the present invention.
In the form shown in Figure 2, the back 10 has an integral rebent flap 16. The
label tab 18 of this form consists of a separate strip 20 which is folded on itself and firmly secured to opposite sides of the back portion 10.
In the modification of Figure 3, the flap 16" is formed integral withthe back por-- tion 10 as in Figure 2. The label tab 18" is also formed integral with the back portion in much the same manner as the tab of Figure 1.
Having thus described the invention, what I claim is new and desire to secure by Letters Patent of the United States is:
1. A folder comprising a blank folded to form a back and a front, the back being provided at the upper edge thereof with a flap,
a portion of said flap being secured to the back portion throughout its'width, the rest.
of said flap having a free edge ada ted to overlie the edges of papers in the fo der.
2. A folder comprising a blank folded to form a back and a front, the back being provided at the upper edge thereof with a flap, a portion of said flap being secured to the back portion throughout its width, the rest of said flap being secured to the back portion along one edge but having a free edge adapted to overlie the edges of papers in the folder.
3. A folder comprising a single blank folded to form a back and a front, a portion of the free edge of the back being provided with an integral flap, said integral flap being secured to the back portion throughout its width, said back-portion being also provided adjacent to its free edge -with a flap adapted to overlie theedges of papers in the folder.
4. A folder comprising a single blank fold d to form a back and a front, the back being provided at the upper edge thereof with an integral flap, a portion of said flap being secured to the back portion throughout its width, the rest of said flap being secured to the back portion along one edge but having a free edge adapted to overlie the edges of papers in the folder, the flap and the edge of the back being cut away along the attached portion of said secondmentioned portion of the flap.
5. A folder comprising a blank folded to form a back and a front, the back being provided at the upper edge thereof With a flap per edge of said back being also provided outer edges of papers in the folder, the up- 15 with a portion extending beyond said flap to provide a label tab, and a strip of material firmly secured to said label tab and adjacent portions of said back.
In Witness whereof, I hereunto subscribe my name this 24th day of August, 1923.
ADOLF H. SGHAFFERT.
Witnesses THOMAS ALDERMAN. M.- F. MARTIN.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US5492268 *||Nov 12, 1993||Feb 20, 1996||Bidkon Corporation||Updatable information folder|
|US7121588 *||Dec 30, 2005||Oct 17, 2006||Biella-Neher Ag||Folder with a clamping device|
|US8100319 *||Feb 19, 2007||Jan 24, 2012||Cardinal Brands, Inc.||File folder|
|US8308054 *||May 15, 2008||Nov 13, 2012||Esselte Corporation||Customizable folder|
|US8567659||Jun 2, 2011||Oct 29, 2013||Ideastream Consumer Products, Llc||File folder|
|US9156303||Oct 28, 2013||Oct 13, 2015||Ideastream Consumer Products, Llc||File Folder|
|US20040066031 *||Oct 7, 2002||Apr 8, 2004||Avery Dennison Corporation||Cover with corner tabs|
|US20040232212 *||Aug 7, 2002||Nov 25, 2004||Dewar Bruce Duncan||Filing folder and system|
|US20080197174 *||Feb 19, 2007||Aug 21, 2008||Wittmeyer Larry E||File folder|
|US20090283576 *||May 15, 2008||Nov 19, 2009||Braden Jones||Customizable folder|
|US20110226844 *||Jun 2, 2011||Sep 22, 2011||Ideastream Consumer Products, Llc||File folder|
|USD759161||May 19, 2014||Jun 14, 2016||Ideastream Consumer Products, Llc||File folder|
|U.S. Classification||40/359, 229/67.1|