US 1543582 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
F. w. M KAY OUTING SUIT Filed March 31 1,922
' WITNESSES INVEIJTUE I TTURIEVS Patented June 23, 1925.
* U NITED" ST ES rnnncns woo n'silucxafv or non-WA K, connections.
' "out ine-stints Application fiiee' narcnsl, 1922. Serial No. 548,341.
To allnikom it may concerm Be it known that 1, Frances W. ATA-CKAY', a citizen of the United States of America, and a resident-of Nor-walk, in the .county of-F airfield and State of-Connecticut, have invented a new and Improved "Outing Suit, of which the following is a description.
My invention relates toa waterproof suit, and the general object of the invention is to provide a novel suit especially adapted for children, enabling them to play inthe rain without danger or discomfort from the weather, although the invention is adapted for embodiment in waterproof outing suits generally.
Specifically an object of the invention is to provide a novel arrangement of arch straps for the bottoms of the trousers, said arch straps being so arranged as to minimize the strains on the trousers.
The nature of the invention and its distinctive features and characteristics will more clearly appear as the description proceeds.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings forming a part of this specification, it being understood that the draw-' ings are merely illustrative of one example of the invention.
Figure l is a perspective view of an outing suit embodying my invention;
Figure 2 is a fragmentary perspective view of the lower end of one of the trouser legs.
In carrying out my invention in accordance with the illustrated example, breeches or trousers 10 of desired shape are provided and in the legs thereof at the bottom at the outer sides of the legs, I provide gussets 11. On the trousers at the sides of the gussets are hooks 12, or the like, adapted to be engaged by lacing elements 12 passing through eyes 12 This arrangement permits of the breeches or trousers being readily drawn on to the legs of the wearer, and the subsequent folding of the gussets 11, and the lacing up of the trousers legs at the gussets.
On the trousers legs at the bottom at one side of the gussets 11 a flap 18 is provided, its upper end'being free, and permanently secured at one side edge to the trousers leg and adapted to fold onto the trousers. At the opposite side of the gusset, fastening means for the flap are provided in the form of ball and socket fasteners of any approved type, the elementsof which are indicated respectively at 14.- on the fiap, and at 14* on the trousers leg at the opposite side of the gusset from said "flap.- g The trouserslegs are provided with arch straps to pass under the arches of the feet,
for preventing said""legs from rising. Instead of providing straps secured directly to' the body of the trousers. legs, I provide a strap 15 secured to each-flap 13 about the middle of the lower edge and adapted to engage a buckle 16 on a tab 17 at the opposite side of the leg or to engage other suitable fastening means for the strap. The bottoms of the legs at the front are shaped to extend over the upper of the shoe of the wearer as indicated at 18.
The flap 13 being free at its upper end and secured along its side edges to the trousers, and the strap 17 being secured at about the middle of the lower edge of said flap, causes the strains occasioned by the tightening of the straps to be divided and neutralized and be taken up by the flap 13 thus permitting the bottom of the trousers leg to be relieved of pulling down strain or longitudinal distortion.
The garment in practice is preferably made up of material somewhat similar to that from which oil skin coats are formed, but lighter and more flexible.
I would state in conclusion, that while the illustrated example constitutes a practical embodiment of my invention, I do not limit myself strictly to the exact details herein illustrated, since, manifestly, the same can be considerably varied without departure from the spirit of the invention as defined in the appended claims.
While I have shown in Figure 1 the upper members of the outing suit, no claims thereto are made herein, the claims therefor having been divided out of this application.
Having thus described my invention, I claim:
1. As a new article of manufacture, outing trousers having a flap additional to the material of the trousers legs secured at its side edge to each trousers leg at one side thereof and along a substantially vertical line, the upper edge of said flap being free, a strap extending from the lower end of said flap at about its middle and adapted to be passed beneath the arch of the wearer, and means on the opposite side of the trousers legs for securing the free end of said strap.
2. Outing trousers, having a flap thereon near the bottom of the trousers legs, additional to the material of the trousers, said flap secured along one vertical edge only, to the trousers 1eg,'the upper edge of said flap being free, and an arch strap extending fromthe lower edge of the flap at about its middle.
3. Outing trousers, having a flap at the bottoin additional to the material of the trousers and legs, and disposed on the outside at the trousers legs, the upper edge of the flap being free, and an arch strap secured to the lower end of said flap at about its middle. v
4. Outing trousers having a gusset therein at the bottom of the legs, a series of fastening, hooks .at opposite sides of each of the gussets, lacing elements adapted to engage said hooks, a flap secured to each leg along a vertical line at one side of said gusset, the upper end of the flap being free, means to fasten the opposite side edge of the flap to the trousers leg at the other side of the gus set, and an arch strap secured to said flaps at about the middle of the lower edge thereof. V
5. Outing trousers having gussets therein at the bottom of the legs, a flap 011 each trousers leg at one side of the gusset, and additional to the material of the trousers legs and disposed at the outer sides thereof, means to fasten the flaps to the trousers legs at the opposite sides of said gussets, and arch straps secured to the lower edge of said flaps at about the middle thereof.
-FRANCES WOODS MAoKAY.