US 1608665 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
Nov. 30 1926.
A. K. PEHRSON SIDE BEARING FiledJan. 28. 1925 2 Sheets-Sheefc L Nov. 30 1926. 1,608,665
A. K. PEHRsoN SIDE BEARING Filed Jan. 28, 1925 2 Sheets-Sheet :i
, y 2.54:/[4Q I Patented lilov. $1,195.26.
.ALFRED 1i. P113 Cil-ll?, COME? neurali STATES .ananas PATENT cir-urine'.
SON. F BELLEUE. PENNSYLVANIA. ASSGNR TO PRESSED STEEL f, OF lnlT'lSBURGH, ZPENNSYLVANIA, A COHPORATIN 0F NEV JER SIDE BEARIN G.
Application filed January 28, 1925. Serial No. 5.243.
This invention relates to railway cars and particularly railway passenger cars oi.z the articulated type in which each car unit comprises a plurality of car bodies. the adjacent ends ot tivo ot 'vvliich arc carried vby a single truck and has for an object the provision ot side supports or bearings between the truck andA the adjacent ends of two oi the bodies of a car unit.
Another object ot the invention is to 'provide the adjacent ends of tivo ot the bodies ot an articulated car unit Witha side bearing.` 'which is automatically adjustable to the ear truck` and to the car bodies at all times.
Another object of the invention is to provide. the adjacent ends of two ot the bodies ot' an articulated car unit with roller side bearings which are adapted to engage aside bearing mounted on au adjacent car truck.
These and other objects will he apparent from the following description.l Referring to the drawings in which like reference characters refer to like parts, Fig'. 1 is a plan vieiv ot portions of the adjacent ends ot tivo car bodies of the articulated car unit; Fig. 2 is an enlarged longitudinal sectional view' ot the saine taken on the line 2-2 ot' Fig. 1` and Fig. il is a cross sectional vie-vv ot the same. taken on the line ,3v-3 of Fig, Q. i
Referring now in detail to the drawings the reference character 1 indicates an arvv ticulated car unit which comprises a plurality ot' car bodies 2. the adjacent end portions 'ot tivo of which have been shown in the drawings. rll"hcse`ends 3 are provided with bod)7 renter plates Ll., both ot' which engage a truck center plate 5 mounted on a truck bolster 6, which bolster 'is a part of' the truck '7. These center plates l and 5 are so' termed ends thereof` are overlapped by the adjacent preferably circular' for a portion 'ot' its length. and preferably square for the rcmainder o't its length. 'lhe louer Aportion of the member 11 is provu'led .'vitli spaced lugs 13, between and iu which a roller 14: is ro-` tatably mounted` such roller being adapted to engage with the upper surface 9 of the truck side bearing?.w 8. llbove the roller la this member is provided with a spring seat 15, on which the lower end oi a spring` 1G seats, the upper end ot such spring; seat ingr en the inner surface of the top wall 17 of the recess 12. The spring seat 15 is preferably .square in form and tits loosely inthe square portion of the recess 12 and will permit tree vertical movement between the side beariugand the underframe, but will prevent any undue rotation of 'the side bearingl relative to the underframe. This member is also provided rwith a projection 18. which extends upwardly from the spring seat 15. through the spi'ingi` 16 and through the wall 17. which torins the top of the recess 12, and adjacent the upper end thereof is provided with a nut 19 and 'Washer 90.
To prevent the Washer yfrom chattering a" spring 21 is provided which surrounds the projection 18 and at its lower end seats on the vvall il? and at its upper end seats on the under sident the Washer 20. lt will be noted that the body side bearings are movable vertically relative to the underframe and lthat the springs mounted in the under traine and seated on the member 11. render the side bearings automatically adjustable, thus insurine a proper bearing between the car body and` the truck at all times and under all servieeonditions. f lt will be apparent to those skilled in the art to which this invention appertains that changes may be made in the details of the several parts forming the invention Without departiner from the spirit and scope of the appended claims.
Having thus described the invention, what v modest o truck, and side bearings on said truck, each of the side bearings on said truck being adapted to be engaged by one of the side bearings on eecb of said bodies. 4,
3. ln a cer comprising a plurality of car bodies, e truck supporting the adjacent ends of two of said bodied'a side bearing on said truck, and a qmovalile side bearing on each of said ends adapted to engage with the side bearing on said truck.
d. In o car. comprising a plurslity of car bodies, a truclz'supporting tbe adiacent ends of two-of said bodies, rollerside. beari'iigsY mounted onsaid ends, and side bearings on said truck haring dat bearing faces with which said roller side bearings are adapted to engage. f
5. in a. car'comprising plurality oi"` car bodies, a truck supporting the adjacent endsoi two" of'said bodies, yieldable roller side bearings mounted on. each'of seid ends, and side' bearings dn said truck having. flat bearing faces adapted to engage with the side bearings on said bodies. i 6. ln a car comprising a plurality ot'cam bodies, a truck supporting the-adjacent ends of two of said' bodies, yeyertically movable side bearing mounted onA each of said ends and 'side bearings on said truck having flat bearing faces adapted to engage with the side bearings on said bodies.
"7. In an articulated car comprising a plurality' of car bodies, a truck supportingg the adjacent ends of two of said bodies,`a side bearing;I mounted in each of said ends' to move vertically, e site bearing on said truck etending beyond and engaging With each of the side bearings on said bodies.
8. ln :in articulated car comprisingxr a plurality of car bodies, a truck, albolster` forming part o? said truck, a truck side beu-ring mounted on said bolster, and a body side bearing on each of the adjacent ends of two of said bodies adapted to move relative to said` ends and yieldably engiigc said truck side bearing. f i
9. In an articulated car comprisingI a plurality of car bodies, a truck supporting the adjacent endsof two of said bodies, side bearings yieldably mounted in said ends and tr uck side bearings mounted on said truck and each adapted to engage with oneof the yside bearings on onoof said ends and with one of the s'd'e bearings on the other v'of said ends.,y
l10. ln an articulated car comprising a plurality of car bodies, a truck supporting the adjacent ends of two of said bodies, each of said ends having recesses formed therein, a resilientmeans in each ofV said recesses, a body side bearing; mounted on said resilient means, and a truckside bearing mounted 'on l said truck adapted to be engaged by one 'of the body side bearings-on vcach of said ends'.
11. In an articulated car comprising a plurzility otl bodies, a truck supporting the adjacent ends of two of said bodies, a bolster forming part of said truck, av side bearing rigidly mounted on said holstein/and a' side bearmg mounted in each of saidends,
and adapted to yieldably engage the side .A
tearing on said truck. A i
12. In' a body side bearing forartioulated cai' comprisinga roller positivelyv connected with seid body and haying s limitedyertical movement in both directions,
13. in a body side bearing for an orticulted car comprising a vertically movable member vmounted dircgly in said car, a rotatablemember secured-to said vertically thevertical moyement of said movable memr ber in. both directions.
movable member, and means for limiting l ',14. In a body\side bearing for an artic c ula'ted car comprlsing a roller yieldably and4 directly supported by said car to move .ver-
tically, and means for limiting the vertical movement of said roller inboth directions.
a l5. ln a. car, a plurality of car. bodies, al
truck connecting and' supporting' the' edjacentends oi* two of said bodies, e side bears ingr on said truck and :body side bearings on said ends adapted to engage with the ticlt side bearing", each otfsaid body side bearings comprising abortion movably mounted in one of saidends. and a roller mounted on said portion adapted to engage .with said 4truck side bearing. le testimony whereof. affix 7my signature.
'ALFRED l'. l