|Publication number||US1644462 A|
|Publication date||Oct 4, 1927|
|Filing date||Mar 30, 1926|
|Priority date||Mar 30, 1926|
|Publication number||US 1644462 A, US 1644462A, US-A-1644462, US1644462 A, US1644462A|
|Inventors||Theodor J Bachofen|
|Original Assignee||Theodor J Bachofen|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (3), Classifications (5)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Oct. 4, 1927.
- 1,644,462 IT. J.. BACHOFEN MACHINE FOR "PIECE DYEING Filed March 1926 2 Sheets-Sheet 1 I N VEN TOR.
1 644362 T. J. BACHOFEN MACHINE FOR-PIECEDYEING Filed March 192s Z-Sheets-Sheet 2' ATTORNEY.
Patented Oct. 4, 1927.
THEODOR J; BACHOFE'N,
or wnsrnnooir, MAINE.
macn'mn m PIECE DYEING.
Application filed March 30, 1926. Serial No. 98,556.
The invention relates to a machine for piece dyeingand is an improvement on the side chains and the cloth holding means thereof of the apparatus shown and described in my co-pending application, Serial No.
66,818, filed November 4,1925.
The object ofthe present invention 1s to improve the construction of the side chains and the cloth holding means of the apparatus of the aforesaid application and to provide a simple, practical and efficient combined clamping and stenciling' device adapted to engage and securely hold and stencil the more delicate 'or finer fabrics without tear- With these and other objects in view. theinvention consists in the construction and novel combination and arrangement of parts hereinafter full described, illustrated in the so accompanying rawings and pointed out in the claims hereto appended, it being understood that various changes in the form, proportion and minor details of construction, within the scope of the claims, may be resorted to without departing from the spirit" or sacrificing any of the advantages of the invention.
In the drawings: Figure 1 is a detail sectional view of a portion of the drum illustrating the manner of winding the side chains thereon and securing the side chains in proper position.
Fig.2 is a side elevation of the same. Fig. 3 is an enlarged plan view of 'a portion of one of the side chains.
. Fig.4 isatransverse sectional viewon the line 4-4 of Fig; 3.
. Fi 5 is a side elevation of one of the links 3 the pivoted jaw being open. v 9 Fig. 6 is a similar'vie w, the pivoted aw bein closed.
7 ing drawing in" which illustrated the pre erred embodiment of the Flg. 7 is a detail view of the pivoted jaw, illustrating the arrangement ot the stenc1l=w .55 accompan invention, the side chains 1 are adapted to ,644,4 2; rear orricE.
be wound on a drum 2 in the same manner. a
as the side chains of the apparatus shown" and described in the aforesaid application.
1n practice the cloth. from the cloth roll is engaged at opposite sides by the cloth en-.
gaging means of the sidechains-for maintaining the proper width and length of'the cloth so that when the'cloth is subjected to operations producing shrinkage the shrinkage of the cloth will be controlled and excessshrinkage prevented by maintaining the cloth at a desired predetermined width and length during such operations as boil-ofi, bleachmg, dyeing'and washing and excess shrinkage during such operations is prevented and it is unnecessary to tenter .or
stretch the goods after such operations to remove excess shrinkage and restore the goods to their proper width and length and injuries and damage to the goods and loss incident to such tentering or stretching operatlons are eliminated. In practice the chains are rolled from one drum to another and the side chains are composed of'links 3 detachably and flexibly. connected with one another by means of a transverse pivot por tion 4 and a bearing'portion 5 similar'to the links of an ordinary sprocket chain, each link being provided with a pivot portion and a bearing portion. The link-3 consists of an outer portion 6, an intermediate portion 7 and an inner portion 8. The intermediate portion is provided with a rectangular open-- ing 9 to receive the sprockets or projections of sprocket wheels or other rotary elements over which the chains pass. The pivot portion and the bearing portion are located at opposite ends ofthe rectangular opening. The outer portion 6 is provided with an oblong slot oropening 10 which is adapted to receive the bill or engaging portion 11 of a hook 12 or other suitable fastening device carried-by the drum 2 and operating in radial slots thereof as explaine in the aforesaid application. The hook 12 is adapted to be placed on'the drum in the slots thereof hook'in its adjustment. The outer portion of the stem of the hook is threaded to receive the nut. This will enable the chain to be built up by successive coils or convolutions and will enable thelinksto bemaintained in their nested or interlocked relation with each other and with the drum. The outer of the link is recesse wall 14 of the opening not interfere with the coiling of the chains and the nesting of the links on the drum.
Each link is provided at opposite sides of its intermediate portion with tapered grooves 15 and with tapered lugs 16, the grooves being formed in the upper face of leach link and. the tapered lugs projecting from the lower face of each link and preferably arranged in pairs beneath the grooves. The lu s of the links are adapted to engage tapered annular grooves 17 in the hubportion 18 of the drum and also to fit in the grooves of contiguous links so that the links will coil or nest in compact form flat against one another as shown. The first coil or convolution of each side chain will be arranged upon the hub portion of the drum and the coils or convolutions will be arranged upon oneanother as clearly illustrated in Figs. 1 and 2 of the drawing. The taper of the grooves and the lugs will provide atight wedging fit and will enable the side chains to be firmly coiled on the hub portion at each side of the drum. n
The inner portion 8 of each link is .provided with a cloth engaging clamp comprising a fixed lower-jaw 19 and an upper pivoted jaw20. The lower fixed jaw consists of a thin plate preferably formed integral with the inner portion of the link as shown and extending from the outer wall of the adjacent tapered groove and it'presents a smooth flat surface to the piece goods. The pivoted jaw is hung from the outer or edge portionof a flange 21 projecting from the upper portion of the adjacentwall of the the type will beleft undyed and wi said tapered groove and located above and in spaced relation with the fixed jaw and provided with a recess 22 and having spaced eyes 23 located at opposite sides of the recess and receiving a pivot 'pin 24 which also passes through a plurali 25 of the pivoted jaw.
of alined eyes swing. by the. fixed jaw and it is provided at its lower engaging face with stenciling-tfyge 26. The stenciling'ty e 26 en ages the a ric and it excludes th ed e rom portions "ofthe fabric so that in t e dyeing operation the portions of the fabric enga ed by w 7 show at the side edges of the material. Any suitable words or characters may beemployed such as Genuine with the name of the manufacturer and in notice the pivoted jaws will be provid at intervals with words and the intervenin jaws :may have other characters suchgasdashes but it will be clear that any form of type. may be proe pivoted jaw swings inwardly from its closed engagin posit on and. it is limited in its outwar -vided. The stenciling type are formed integral' with the pivoted jaw and the latter is provided at its outer side with a projection 27 located between the planes of the upper and lower faces of the links so that the projection which is adapted to be engaged in the usual] manner by operating means will not interfere with the nesting of the chains in coiling the same around the hub portions of the drum. The tension ofthe material on the pivoted jaws of the clamps will maintain the, pivoted jaws firmly in engagement with the goods. Also there will be'no liability of puncturing or injuring the goods through the clamping action of the pivoted jaws.
What is claimed is:
1. In a machine of the class described, the combination of a drum. having a hub provided with tapered annular grooves and a side chain adapted to be wound around the said drum and composed of links provided so i at one face with tapered grooves and having lugs projecting from the opposite face adapted to fit the grooves of the drum and the groovesrof contiguous links, and clamps carried by the inner portions of the links for engaging a. web of material.
2. In a. machine of the class described, the combination of a drum having a hub provided with tapered annular grooves and a side chain ada ted to be wound around the said drum and composed of links provided at one face with tapered grooves and having lugs projecting from the opposite face adapted to fit the grooves of the drum and the grooves of contiguous links, said links being provided at their outer portions beyond the grooves with oblong slots and having recesses in the outer walls thereof and fastening devices mounted on the drum and adapted to be arranged in the said recesses and having-a portion to engage the said slots, and means carried by the. inner portions of the links for engaging a web of material.
3. In a machine ofthe class described, the combination of a', drum having a hub provided with tapered annular grooves and'a side chain ada ted to be wound around the said drum an composed of-links provided I at one face with tapered grooves and havmg lugs projecting from the opposite face adapted to fit the grooves of the drum and the grooves of contiguous links, said links bein rovided at their outer. portions beyonf t mg recesses in the outer walls thereof and fastening devices mounted'on the drum and adapted to be arranged in the said recesses andhavin .a portion to enga e the said slots, and c amps carried by t e inner portions. of the links for engaging a webof material.
'4. In' a machine of the class'described, a
e grooveswith oblong slots-and havposite sides of the said o enings with.
Lemma side sprocket chain composed of pivotally connected links consisting of intermediate portions provided with rectangular openings, outer portions having substantially oblong slots and inner portionsprovided with clamps having pivoted jaws for engaging the goods, said links being provided at opooves and lugs, the ooves ein formed in one face of the lin s and the ugs projecting from the opposite face of the links.
5. In a machine of the class described, a side sprocket chain composed of. pivotally connected links provided at theiri'nner sides with stationary laterall projectin jaws and pivoted jaws hung om the and 'otally mounted (jaws coacting with the cooperating with the stationary jaws and located wholly between the lanes of the upper and lower faces of the nks, whereby the sprocket chain may be coiled without 2 affecting the clamps formed by the said jaws.
6. In a machine of the class described, a side sprocketchain. rovided at the inner side with links having clamps comdposed of fixed laterally projecting jaws an d e jaws and provi ed with stenciling type for en aging a web of material. 7
testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand.
THEODO R J. BACHOFEN.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US3897869 *||Jun 28, 1973||Aug 5, 1975||Fiber Glass Systems Inc||Conveyor construction|
|US3931881 *||Oct 2, 1973||Jan 13, 1976||Mcdonnell Douglas Corporation||Continuous belt system holding multiple layers|
|US4171679 *||Mar 18, 1977||Oct 23, 1979||Ivanyatov Jury E||Method and apparatus for impregnation of cermet electrodes of an alkaline storage battery|
|Cooperative Classification||D06B2700/36, D06B23/00|