|Publication number||US1658968 A|
|Publication date||Feb 14, 1928|
|Filing date||May 25, 1925|
|Priority date||May 25, 1925|
|Publication number||US 1658968 A, US 1658968A, US-A-1658968, US1658968 A, US1658968A|
|Inventors||John B Carroll|
|Original Assignee||John B Carroll|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (15), Classifications (6)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Feb. 14, 1928.
.J. B. CARROLL ADVERTISING OR DISPLAY DEVICE Filed May 25.
Patented Feb. 14, I928.
JOHN B. cannon, on OAK PARK, rumors.
ADVERTISING on nIsr AY DEVICE.
Application filed May 25, 1925. Serial No. 32,673.
V This invention relates to that class of advertis ing ordisplay devices or articleswliich are adapted" to be used for advertising or for similar or otherpurposes,
5 v The principal'ob'ectof the lDVGBtlOILlS to provide simple, economical and-eff cient advertising or display device or article of manufacture adapted; to be used for advertising or similar or other purposes.
Otherand further objects of the'invention will appear from thefollowing description and claims, and from an inspection of theaccompanying drawings, which are made a part hereof. I
Theinvehtion consists in the features, combinations,"details of construction and arrangement of" parts herein described and claimed. y i J In the accompanying drawings enclosing or enveloping sheet member or blank as it would appear before being folded over the innern'iovable member, and showing an inner movable member formed 5 of'sheet material, as it would" appear before being folded andbefore beingenclosed by or within the 'outer1nember;
Fig; 2 is a'sinnar view of the parts shown in 1, but showing o'ne'of the marginal 3U leaves o'f the outer member infoldedover'the inner member, and opposite marginal leaves or' folded marginalportions of the inner movable sheetmember folded over adjacent opposite marginsof the said infolded leaf theouter' enveloping member;
is a front or plan view ofthe-device shown in Figs. 1 asndf gshowing the outer.
l V a I marginal leaf of the outer enclosing or envel0p 1ngm'emberfolded'over the inner sheet 7 4n member and inner or infolded' leaf of the out-er nember, and showing the opening in one side or inone leaf of the outer envelopingmembei". adapted to expose parts of the inner movable sheet member and parts of the ir'rfoldedmarginal leaf of the outer or (map ingm mberO1- shet; 1 Fig. his. a similar front or plan view of thedevicd slio-iaj n in Fig; 3, showin the in-v ner movable .sheetniember in'a position into so which. adapted to be move'd from' the position mwvhiclh it is shown in Fig. 3;? and Fig. 5 is .a central 'sectional view taken on line .55.v of Fig. 3, looking in the di'rectioniri'dieated by the arrows.
-3 are 1 Fi ure '1 is a )lan view showing an enter" I neonstrueting a improved advertising in accordancewith my invention, 1 provide an outer enclosing orenvel'opmg member 1 portion 5 on or attached to and by preference integral 'with an opposite margin 6. An opening? is formed, by preference, in the outer marginal leaf-or folded marginal portion 3 of the outer enveloping member or e'nvelopel, said leaf being cut away-t0 form saidopening." The leafil thus has opposite sidemarginal porti'ons9 and. 10 on opposite sides'of saidopening, and-has top andbot; tom n'iargins 11 and 12 at the top and bottom extremities of said opening, thus forminga suitable frame for the opening 7.
The marginal leaf 5 of the outer, enclosing or enveloping meinb er,*wl1icl1 is-adapted to be folded inwardr'is, by preference, provided with an: opening 13 therein. said marginal leaf" 5 having a connected side margin 14: on one side" of said opening and a side margin 15; onthe opposite-side ofsaid opening 13 from the-'margin 14, and, top and bottom margins 16 and 17, respectively, one above and the other below said opening 13. (See Figs. 1 and 2.) p
An inner movable sheet member 18 is -movably 'or slidably mounted: inside of the outer enclosing or enveloping member, 1, and consistsof'or c'ompr1ses,by preference, a'mam sheet bodyport-lon,19 of slightlyless width thantheback or sheet body portion 2 of the with said margins respectively. The folded margin 20,;with which the topmarginal leaf 2:2 is eonnected,-andithe folded margin or marginal portion 21 with which theimarginal leaf 23 isfconneeted, are thus disposed transversely With, respect to" the direction of movementrof l the movable nner member,
1 and are "at right angles witlr respectto the opposite guiding mar-gins 4; and 6 of the outer enveloping member 1.
: The opposite fold'dmargms or marginal portions 203 and 21. of; the inner movable sheet member 18 are spaced apart a sufiicient dis-. tance from each other so as to admit therebetween the sheet 5 of the outer envelope member 1 which in its infolded position, as 5 shown in Fig. 2,'extends across the opening T in the outer envelo 'iing or enclosing mem her 1 and between and in position to be overlapped by said upper and lower marginal leaves 22 and respectively. The to inner movable sheet member 18 is readily movable from the position in which it is shown in Fig. 41, to the initial or normal position in which it is shown in Figs. 2 and 3, and also in Fig. 5.
The marginal sheet 5 of the outer enveloping meml'ier 1 having been folded inward over the movable sheet;- 18 and. into position to extend transversely across the "opening 7 and to be overlapped by the marginal leaves 2 and of the inner'movable sheet member 18, as shown in Fig. 2, the outer marginal leaf 3 is then folded over the ii'it'olded leaf 5 and over the leaves 22 and 22-; of the inner movable sheet member l8, and the outer margin 9 f theouter marginal leaf 3 is attached to the margin 14 of the infolded leaf or to the margin 6 of the backer sheet body portion 2 of the outer enclosing or enveloping member 1, by means'of glue or other suitable adhesive material or connecting means, the opposite ends between which the folded marginal leaves 22 and 23, respectively are located, being left open so to permitfree movement of the inner movable member 18 be tween the oppositeparallel guiding margins or marginal portions 1 and 6, which are connected or closed so as to form suitable guiding margins between which the inner 4.0 m vable. member 18 is adapted to be shifted or moved.
The flap or tongue 2i, for operating the inner movable member, is, by preference,
forn'ied in one integral piece with the mar- 4.") ginal leaf or tlap on the same extremity of said inner movable member, said leaf 23 being bent or folded from the position in which s shown in Fig. 1 to the position in which it is shown in Fig. 2, thereby to permitting the flap 24 to project beyond the 'toli'led margin of the leaf 23 and movable 'n'ieniber 18 and between notched portions 25 in the leaf 3 and back or sheet body portion 2 respectively, so as to provide convenient 5.? means for enabling the operator to grasp the lap or tongue and operate the inner movable member or sheet 18.
From the foregoing it will be readily understood by those skilled in the art to which on tins-invention relates, that by moving the inner movable member or sheet 18 from the posit on in which it is shown in Figs. 2 and 23 to theposition in which it is shown in Fig.
4. the leaf on the member 18 will cover upper or adjacent 'iual or trans verse upper portion 16, and any picture, part of a picture, characters, words or printed matter thereon, and the lower or opposite marginal leaf 23 will uncover and expose or display the adjacent or corresponding mar inal portion or surface of the lower part 17 of the leaf 5, and anything printed, impressed or otherwise placed on said part 17 of said leaf. And by moving the inner movable leaf 18 in an opposite direction, or from the position in which it is shown in Fig. 1 to the position in which it is shown in Figs. 2 and 3, the part 16 of the leaf 5 will be exposed or uncovered and the part or marginal surface iortion 17 of said leaf will be covered or concealed from view.
ll: will also be readily seen that when the. inner movable sheet 18 is in the position shown in Figs. 2 and 3, one part of the surface of the inner movable sheet 18-for example, the central part or surface portion 26 of the said movable sheet 18will be exposed or uncovered by the opening 1 in said int'olded marginal leaf 5 of the outer enveloping member 1. It follows that when the inner movable sheet member 18, with its marginal leaves or folded marginal portions 22 and is moved from the position shown in Figs. 2 and 3, the part 26 of the inner movable sheet member 18 which was previously uncovered by the opening 13 will be covered or concealed by the marginal leaf 23, and another and different part of the surface of the inner movable sheet m mber 18 will be uncovered or exposed to view, such for example, as the partor surface portion 27, as shown in Fig. 4.
The top part of the picture shown in the z-iccompanving drawings is on the upper marginal leaf or flap 22 of the inner movable sheet or slide 18, the middle part of said picture being on the part 27, above the word It, the word It being on the part'2ti. and the word Gets being on the bottom marginal leaf or flap 23 of said inner sheet 18. The word Pays is on the reverse side of margin 16; and the lower part of the picture and the words Golden Eggs are on the reverse side of the margin 17 of inner leaf 5. See Fig. 1, also 2, and 1.) It will thus be seen that the outer enveloping member 1, of which the inner leaf 5 forms a part; and the inner movable sheet or slidable member 18, which includes parts 22, 23, 26 and 27, each have printed or displaymatter thereon which is adapted to be exposed or uncovered when the display matter or printed matter on the adjacent portion of the otherone of said members is-con oealed, and vice versa.
1. In a device of the class described, the combination of an outer enveloping member formed of sheetmaterial and having an op ning in one side thereof, said. m ber till nessgees mounted inside of said outer enveloping member and betirel'en said guiding marginal portions ot the same, a marginal leaf'on' said inner 'movable'sheet member, z1l1'tl'llfl()\-- able with the same into and out o'i 'exposed position Within saidopening, said marginal leatbeing adapted to overlap and alternate ly cover-and expose a surface portion of; said enveloping member ivithin said openingand havingon'e edge connected \vithfand extend ing along a corresponding marginal portion of said inner movable sheet member in transverse relation to the direction ofmove ment of the latter, said elements including means for limiting the move-mentor the inner sheet member with respect to the outer enveloping member, said outer enveloping member and inner movable sh'ee'tmembejr rch having display matter thereon adapted to be exposed when the display matter on an adjacent portion of the other one of said members is concealed. v v,
2. In a device otthe class described, the combination ot'an' outer enveloping mjen'iber formed of sheet material and having an openinginone side thereof said member having opposite guidingimarginal portions adjacent .to corresponding opposite margins of said opening, aninner sheetmember movably mounted inside of said" outer envelope ing member and bet-Ween said guiding marginal portions of the same, marginal leaves on said inner movable sheet member, and movable with the same into and out of exposed position Within said opening each of said marginal leaves being adapted'to overlap and alternately cover and expose a sur face portion of said enveloping member Within said opening, each of said leaves having one edge connected with and extending along a corresponding marginal portion of said inner movable sheet member-trans versely With respect to the direction of movement of said inner movable sheet member, said elements including means for limiting the movement of the inner sheet memiber with respect to the outer enveloping member, said outer enveloping member and 1uner movable sheet member each having display matter thereon adapted to be ex saidfguiding marginal portions of the same, sarctinner toldedsheet member comprising opposite marginal leaves" on; a-nd'int-eg-ral with opposite parallel marginsot said inner movable sheet member, said marginal leaves beingmovable alternately into exposed position across said opening, said integral leaves oi said inner movable sheet member,
being disposed transversely with respect to the direction ofunovement of said inner movable sheet member, and adapted to alternately cover and expose adjacent surface portions or; said: enveloping member Within said opening and retaining means-onthe inside o't the outer enveloping member and adapted to be engagedby opposite marginal portions'of said inner movable sheet mem her respectively and acting to limit the movement of said movable sheet member with respect to the outer enveloping memher, said outer el'lYGlOPlllg memberand. in nor movable sheet member each having display matter thereon.adapted to be exposed when the/display matter on an adjacent portion otthefotlierone'of saidmembers is concealed; H
, l; l'n'a d evice oft'the class described, the
e mbinaue or anfouter enveloping mem bcr formedjof sheet material andhavingt an. opening in' one sidethereot, said member having opposite connected guiding margin alportions adjacent to corresponding op- ,posite' margins of said opening, an inner sheetun'ember movably mounted inside or saidfouter enveloping member and between said guiding marginal portions of the same, said inner movable sheet member eonipi ing abody portion and integral told-ed mar-- ginal leaf port-ions on opposite margins of said movable sheet member, each of said marginal leaf portions'being movable with said movable sheet member nto and out ot exposed position across said opening, and
lllii an inner leaf inside of and havingone edge connected'with said outer enveloping member, saidjinnerconnectedleaf having a suri ace portion provided with display matter thereon, said surface portion being adapted to extend across said opening and between the body portion and folded leaf portions of said inner movable sheet member in position to be alternately covered and exposed I by said marginal leaves of said inner movable sheet member.
5. Ina device of the class described, the combination of an outer enveloping member formed of sheet material comprising a main sheet body portion having integral inner and outer marginal leaves on opposite margins thereof, the outer one of said marginal leaves having an opening therein, and the inner one of said leaves being adapted to ex tend across said opening, and an inner sheet member movably mounted and comprising a main. sheet body p rt on hav ng i g opposite marginal leaves in movable overlapping relation to corresponding parallel margins of the inner leaf of said outer enber formed of sheet material comprising a main sheet body portion, integral inner and outer marginal leaves on and attached to opposite margins of said main sheetbody por tion, the outer one of said leaves having an opening therein and the inner one of said leaves being adapted to extend across said opening, an opening in the inner leaf and an inner sheet member movably mounted inside of said outer enveloping member and comprising a main sheet body portion which extends across the opening in said inner leaf and between the said inner leaf and the back of the enveloping member, integral opposite marginal leaves on said inn-er movable sheet member and in overlapping movable relation to corresponding parallel margins of the inner leaf of said outer enveloping member and inside of said outer marginal leaf of said outer enveloping member and adapted to be moved into and out of exposed position within the opening in said outer mar ginal leaf, said marginal lea es on said movable member being adapted to alternately cover and expose adjacent surface portions of said overlapped inner leaf, and said overlapping marginal leaves and the inner leaf member overlapped thereby having display matter thereon adapted to j be alternately covered and exposed within the opening in the outer leaf of the enveloping member.
7. In a device of the class described, the combination of an outer enveloping mem ber formed of sheet material comprising a main sheet body portion, integral inner and outer marginal leaves on and connected with margins of said outer lea't being attached to an adjacent margin of said inner leaf, and
an inner sheet member movably mounted inside of said outer enveloping member, and having marginal flaps along the upper and lower edges of said inner 'movable sheet member, each in overlapping movable relation to a corresponding adjacent margin of the inner leaf of said outer enveloping member and adapted to alternately cover and uncover a portion of the surface of said inner leaf of said outer enveloping member, said outer enveloping member and inner movable sheet member each having display matter thereon adapted to be exposed when the display matter on an adjacent portion of the other one of said members is concealed. 8. In a device of the class described, the combination of an outer enveloping member formed of sheet material comprising a back, inner and outer marginal leaves on and connected with opposite margins of said back, the outer one of said. leaves having an opening therein and the inner one of said leaves being adapted to extend between said back and said outer leaf, and across said opening an inner sheet member movably mounted inside of said outer enveloping member, and marginal flaps along the upper and lower edges of said inner movable sheet member and in transverse relation to the direction of movement of said movable sheet member, said marginal flaps being adapted to alternately cover and expose adjacent surface portions of the inner leaf of said outer enveloping member Within said opening in the outer leaf, said -marginal flaps and said inner leaf of said enveloping member having display matter thereon adapted to be alternately covered and exposed by the movement of the inner movable sheet member.
Signed at Chicago, in the county of Cook and State of Illinois this 19th day of May,
JOHN B. CARROLL
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2853585 *||Oct 10, 1955||Sep 23, 1958||Continental Vending Machine Co||Vending selector button|
|US5078265 *||Feb 11, 1991||Jan 7, 1992||Fugit Gary L||Lottery ticket holder|
|US5492522 *||Feb 1, 1994||Feb 20, 1996||The Lehigh Press, Inc.||Method of making pop-up action products|
|US5611161 *||Mar 16, 1995||Mar 18, 1997||Ottenheimer Publishers, Inc.||Transverse-fold pop-up device, and blank and method therefor|
|US5746689 *||Sep 9, 1996||May 5, 1998||Ottenheimer Publishers, Inc.||Method for transverse-fold pop-up|
|US5778578 *||Mar 28, 1996||Jul 14, 1998||Drapcho; Joseph E.||View-changing display|
|US6061938 *||Jun 3, 1998||May 16, 2000||Young; Steven R.||Changeable image display device|
|US6237265 *||May 25, 1999||May 29, 2001||Structural Graphics Llc||Promotional display system|
|US7007365 *||Jan 15, 2002||Mar 7, 2006||Mark Vanderburg||Sliding panel photographic card|
|US8919018||Jan 30, 2012||Dec 30, 2014||HJovic Design LLC||Method and apparatus for card image transformation and content securing|
|US20060086019 *||Oct 21, 2004||Apr 27, 2006||Wayne Wilcoxen||Moving panel trading card|
|US20070154876 *||Jan 3, 2007||Jul 5, 2007||Harrison Shelton E Jr||Learning system, method and device|
|US20110088294 *||Jun 26, 2009||Apr 21, 2011||Bridget Teresa Docking||Greeting card and greeting card display frame arrangements|
|WO1996028803A1 *||Mar 14, 1996||Sep 19, 1996||Ottenheimer Publishers Inc||Transverse-fold pop-up device, and blank and method therefor|
|WO1997036277A1 *||Mar 28, 1997||Oct 2, 1997||Drapcho Joseph E||View-changing display|
|International Classification||G09F1/08, G09F1/00|
|Cooperative Classification||G09F1/00, G09F2001/085|