US 1702905 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
M. KORCHMAR BRIEF 0R SIMILAR CASE Filed July 20, 1926 Feb. 19, 1929.
Patented Feb. 19, 19729.`
UNITED ASTATI-s f I A, l1,702,905 PATENT OFFICE.
, MAXKQRCHMAR, or vcINcINNA'rr, onio.
BRIEF on SIMILAR CASE.
Application Ailetltl'uly 20, 1926. Serial No. 123,770.
' This invention relates to improvements in ybrief cases and the like and has for. its'object the provision of a device of this kind,
which is especially adapted for use Yby sales-y Another object is to provide a case of this kind wherein a single pair of tying straps serves to accommodate both compartments of the case. f v
These and other objects are attained by the means described herein and disclosedv in the accompanying drawings in which: e
Fig. 1 is a view of one side of the case .of my invention.
Fig. 2 is a cross sectional view taken on line 2'2 of Fig. 1. l h f Fig. 3 is a fragmental perspective View of a hinged and supported member forniing'a part of my invention as shown partly in closed section. y f e Devices of the class herein referred to are usually made of leather or similar material and ordinarily comprise a combined rear wall and flap, which flap is usually secured by a suitable locking means or clasp to a front wall, the handle member is normally secured to the flap and as a result thereof, if the flap is not secured, the case will depend at an angle to the vertical.
In the present device I employ a central partition wall 7 to whichis secured an expansible bottoni member 8 and an elongated U-shaped hinge member which comprises side walls 9 and 10, between which the top edge of the center wall 7 is secured. The hinge member may be of metal and the center partition 7 may be secured thereto by any suitable means such as rivets-11 extending through aligned perfor-ations 12 and through the partition 7. Aflat strip13 carries a plurality of depending3 loops 14 which may be conveniently formed y striking them from-the body of strip 13. The loops 14 seat in notches '15l cut at intervals from the rounded'top edge 16 of the lower hinge member. Rod 17 serves as pintle and hingcdlyl secures the plate 13 and lower hinge member 18 together. vThe hinge plate 13 has a plurality of perforations 19 there through e for receiving rivets 20 ywhichserve to secure hinge plate 13 centrally along a generally rectangular piece of material which forms two se arately openable fiaps 21 and `22. A handle 23 is secured by any suitable means such as the customary pair of rings 24 to the rectangular member 25 comprising iiaps `2l` and 22. Side walls 26 and 27 are secured along their bottom edges to the telescoping bottom wall 8. The flap2l and side Wall 26 carry complementary locking means of any approved Vtype such as plate 28carrying a hook or the like which is received by locking mechanism 29. The flap 22 and side wall: 27 also carry complementary snap lock members 30 and 31. Top tying straps 32 extend across the top of rectangular member 25 and through suitable loops 33 carried by fiaps 21vand 22 thereof. i
Lower tying straps 34 extend across the bottom of the device and are retained or positioned upon side walls 26 and 27 by loops ,35. Each end of the bottoni tying straps carries a suitable buckle 36 which receives an end of thetop tying strap 32. F lexiblc endwalls 37 of telescoping or of a bellowsy tween end walls 37 and bottom wall 8, for p providing a pair of separate compartments on one side of the center wall 8, while a similar partitionmay be employed on the other side of the center wall 7 if desired. As shown herein, however, a sheet of material 39 sewed or otherwise secured at its bottom and sides to the center wall 7 provides a pocket and a large opening compartment' on the remaining side of the center wall. Y
The hinge member 13 `may be concealed and also'additionally secured to the inside of the rectangular .member 25 by inserting a strip of suitable finish material such as leaf ther between the hinge members, said mate-A balanced casey comprising two divisions each of which is closed by a separate flap and look f and both divisions are adapted to be addi tionally supported by a single pair of tying straps.
It will be readily evident that a salesman for example who carries two different lines oi goods may dispose the samples of one line in one division and those ot the other in the remaining divi-sion and that he may keep one or the other' ot the flaps closed and locked so that those articles or papers which he'does While l have disclosed the embfnli-` nient oi: my invention l do not desire to be eliminated to the enact disclosure since it will be readily apparent to those skilled in the art, that the structure may be modifi d within the spirit and scope et this invention.
What l claim is:
l. ln a carrying case the combination ot a center wall, side walls disposed on each side ot the center wall, a bottom wall connecting the side and center walls, a member hingedly mounted intermediate its longitudinal edges upon the top edge oit the center wall and providing downwardly ioldaile flaps on each side o the center wall, lseparable locking means tor securing each liep to a side wall and a handle member secured in alignment with the top of the center wall.
2. In a device of the class described the combination oi a pair of spaced side walls, an intermediate wall disposed between said side walls and extended above them, a transverse member hinge lly mounted to the intermediate wall, a handle member carried by the transverse member at its hinged mounting, bottom and end closures secured to the side walls along three sides thereot whereby to provide a pair ot con'ipartments each of which is open at its top and closed by a different section of the hingedly mounted transverse member and .means for closing each oi said compartments.
3. ln a device oit the class described the combination ot a center wall, a hinge member secured along the top edge oi said center wall, a transverse plate hingedly mounted to said hinge member, a cover member secured to the plate, means comprising side, bottom and end walls for providing a compartment on each side et the center wall, said compartments having openings at their tops, adapted to be closed by portions of the cover member and means et securing said portions of the cover member to the side walls.
Il. In a device of the class described the combination of a handle member, a center wall hingedly mounted below the handle, a transverse flexible member interposed between the handle and the top et the center wall and comnartments comprising side walls, bottom walls, and end walls disposed on each side et the center wall and indepen dently elosable by separate portions of the transverse member.
5. ln combination a carrying case having a central partition providing a pair otcompertinents therein, a iieril'ile member' hingedly secured intermediate its side edges tothe top oit the partition and 'ioldable tor closing the con'ipartments, and a two part tying strap, one part of which is carried by the iiexible member and one by thecase, one end oi' each strap: member being adapted to be secured to an end ot the remaining strap member on each side ot the case whereby the ieldable member may be retained in a closed position over each compartment.
5. ln combination a carrying case having a lined central partition, expansible bottom and end walls secured to the partition, a side wall on each side of the central partition providing enpansible compartn-ients, a
iiexible member secured to the partition iorming a closure lor said compartments, a pair of strap members slidably mounted transversely o t the flexible member, a second pair ot strap members extending about the bottom ano tern'iin-ating at opposite sides and means for attaching thev free ends of the straps together at each side ot the case and adapted to accommodate varied degrees et er;` pansion of the con'ipartments.
.7. In combination with a carrying ease comprising a top closure member and separate compartments clos-able separately by oppositely sides oit a top closure men'iber, ot two part straps comprising strap portions slidably retained in transverse relationy with the closure member and other strap portions slidably retained about the bottom and sides of the case and means comprising` a pair of fastening members for each pair et' straps whereby the straps may be adi'ustably secured together at each side oit the case. j
8. In a brief case the conibination Vet a flexible member, a central all hingedly suspended irom one taceV oit the iieiible member intermediate the longitudinal edges thereof, a handle secured to the opposite tace ot the flexible member immediately above the hin-ge MAX KORCI-MAR.