|Publication number||US1801640 A|
|Publication date||Apr 21, 1931|
|Filing date||Oct 5, 1929|
|Priority date||Oct 5, 1929|
|Publication number||US 1801640 A, US 1801640A, US-A-1801640, US1801640 A, US1801640A|
|Inventors||Reedy Alfred J|
|Original Assignee||Stove Company Ab|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (3), Classifications (6)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
April 21, 1931. REEDY I COOKING STOVE 0R -RANG'E Filed 001;. 5' 1929 nk-r- INVENTOR v a m Patented Apr. 21, 1931 UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE ALFRED J. nEEnY, or BATTLE CREEK, MICHIGAN, ASSIGNOR To A-B STOVE COMPANY,
' on BATTLE CREEK, MICHIGAN cooxme sTovE on RANGE:
Application filed October 5, 1929. Serial No. 397,463.
The main objects of this invention are First, to provide a cooking stove or range having an open top unit provided with a cover'which when closed not only covers the open top but provides a cabinet or storage space for utensils and the like.
Second, to provide a cooking stove or range having these advantages in which the movable cover unit constitutes a shelf when open.
Third, to provide a structure adapted as a closure or cover and also as a hood for carrying away v pors and odors.
Fourth, to rovide acooking stove or range having these advantages which is simple in structure, easily manipulated, and attractive in appearance both when the cover is in open and closed positions.
Objects relating to details and economies of my invention will appear from the description to follow. The invention is defined and pointed out in the claims.
A structure which is a preferred embodi ment of my invention is illustrated in the accompanying drawing, in which:
Fig. 1 is a perspective view of my improved stove with the cover open.
Fig. 2 is an end elevation with the cover closed, parts being broken away to more fully illustrate structural details.
Fig. 3 is a fragmentary rear elevation.
The embodiment of my improvements illustrated comprises an open top cooking unit 1 and a closed or oven cooking unit 2. These parts are conventionally shown. The closed unit extends substantially above the open unit.
I provide a cover or hood for the open unit which comprises a fixed cover unit or section designated generally by the numeral 3 and a hinged or swinging cover unit designated generally by the numeral 4.
The fixed section or unit 3 comprises a rear wall 5, atop wall- 6, and an outer end wall 7, the top wall 6 being disposed in the plane of the top of the closed unit 2, and the end wall 7 bein disposed in o posed relation tothe side 8 o the closed coo ing unit and having a curved recess 9 in its forward edge.
The cover or hood section 4 comprises a top 10, a front 11 and an end wall 12, the end wall 12 having a curved extension 13 complemental to the curved recess 9 in the end wall 7.
The top wall 10 is hinged to the front edge of the top wall 6 by means of the hinge 14 so that the hinged section 4 may be'swung to open position, shown in Fig. 1, in which position it constitutes a shelf, or it may be swung to closed position, shown in Fig. 2, constituting a cover for the open cookin top 1 and providing a cabinet or housing for utensils, the stove then having the general appearance of a closed cabinet.
In the embodiment illustrated, the fixed cover unit has a plurality of openings 16 in its rear wall opening into the horizontal flue 17 which is in turn connected to the discharge flue 18. This provides for a vent so that if desired the cooking operations may be carried on with the cover or hood closed, as shown in Fig. 2, odors and vapors being carried off through the vent flue.
I have illustrated and described my improvements in a very practical embodiment. I have not attempted to illustrate or describe certain embodiments and adaptations which I contemplate as it is believed that this disclosure will enable those skilled in the art to embody or adapt the same as may be desired. Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is:
1. The combination in a cooking stove comprising a closed cooking unit and an open top cooking unit disposed side by side with the closed unit projecting above the open unit, a cover for said open unit comprising a fixed unit includin a rear wall, an'end wall recessed on its ront edge, and a top disposed in the plane of the top of the closed unit, a hinged cover unit comprising a top hinged at its rear edge to the front edge of the top of the fixed unit to fold thereon,- an end wall having an extension complementing the recess in saidcnd wall of said fixed cover unit, and a front' wall, said hinged cover unit constituting a shelf when in open-position.
2. The combination in a cooking stove comprising a closed cooking unit and an open top cooking unit disposed side by side with the closed unit projecting above the open unit, a cover for said open unit comprising a fixed unit includin a rear wall, an end wall, and a top dispose in the plane of the top of the closed unit, a hinged cover unit comprising a top hinged at its rear edge to the front edge of the top of the fixed unit to fold thereon, an end wall, and a front wall, said hinged cover unit constituting a shelf when in open position.
3. In a cooking stove, the combination of an open top cooking unit, a closed cooking unit disposed at the side of said open top cooking unit, and a cover for said open top cooking unit comprising a fixed cover unit and a movable cover unit mounted on said fixed unit to collapse thereon when open, said fixed cover unit comprising top, rear and end walls and the front cover unit comprising top, front and end walls, the closeda cover therefor comprising a fixed rear cover unit and a front cover unit mounted on said rear unit to fold rearwardly thereon and constituting a shelf when open.
6. In a. cooking stove, the combination of an open top cooking unit, a closed cooking unit disposed at the side of said open top cooking unit and provided with a vent flue, and a cover for said open top cooking unit comprising a fixed rear cover unit having a rear wall provided with ventilating means,
a front cover unit hinged to said rear cover unit to fold rearwardly thereon or to close over said cookin top constituting a hood therefor, and a ue opening to said closed unit ventilating flue and into which said openings in said wall open.
7. In a cooking stove, the combination of a an open top cooking unit, a closed cooking unit disposed at the side of said open top cooking unit, a cover for said open top cooking unit comprising a fixed rear cover 'unit having vent openlngs therein, and a movable front cover unit mounted on said fixed unit to colla se thereon when open and constituting a s elfor to close over said open top cooking unit constituting a, hood.
8. In a cooking stove, the combination of an open top cooking unit, a :cover therefor comprising a fixed rear coverunit provided with a vent, and 'a front coverunit mounted on said rear cover unit to fold rearwardly thereon, said front and rear cover units constituting a vented hood for said cooking unit when closed.
In witness v whereof I have hereunto set my hand.
ALFRED J. REEDY.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2480045 *||May 18, 1945||Aug 23, 1949||Florence Stove Co||Cookstove|
|US2564074 *||Jan 31, 1949||Aug 14, 1951||Dohrmann Hotel Supply Co||Cleanout ventilator attachment for ranges|
|US5454296 *||Dec 29, 1993||Oct 3, 1995||Interstate Brands Corporation||Apparatus for controlling organic vapors emitted by a fryer|
|U.S. Classification||126/37.00A, 126/299.00R, 312/284|