|Publication number||US1973659 A|
|Publication date||Sep 11, 1934|
|Filing date||May 27, 1932|
|Priority date||May 27, 1932|
|Publication number||US 1973659 A, US 1973659A, US-A-1973659, US1973659 A, US1973659A|
|Inventors||Rieffannacht Maud L|
|Original Assignee||Kumfitted Garments Inc|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (1), Classifications (5)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Sept, 1934- M. RIEFFANNACHT 1,973,659
GARMENT Filed May 27, 1952 2 Sheets-Sheet l INVENTOR Maud .F1i12fiunnucht ATTORNEY Sept. 1 1, 1934- M. L. RIEFFANNACHT GARMENT Filed May 27; 1952 2 Sheets-Sheet INVENTOR MuuU L. Flleffnnnuc ht w. wmm
ATTORNEY Patented Sept. 11, 1934 GARMENT Maud- L. RieflannachLNew York, N. Y., assignor' to Kumfitted Garments, Inc New York, N. Y., a
corporation Application May 27, 193.2, SerialNo. 613,810
. g-olaims. (01. 2-83) This invention relates to garments of the onepiece variety having a body portion and integral or permanently attached leg portions, and this invention relates more particularly toa concealed utility seat or opening for such. garments. Y i It has heretofore been necessary. for a wearer of a garment of the above type to practically disrobefor utility purposes; and the advantages of the new and improved utility seat and opening embodied in my invention will be obvious. In carrying out this invention, I provide a utilityseat which is normally perfectly concealed, butvvhich offers immediate and ample accessibility and convenience for utility purposes without any necessity of disrobing, or of even disturbing the fastenings or parts of the garment which are or may be provided for facilitating the donning and dofling of the same. i r l One object of my invention is to provide a utility seat for one-piece garments, such as sportsuits, bathing suits and pajamas, which maybe particularly adapted for sport wear, evening Wear, sleeping, lounging or for ordinary wear about the; house, by girls or young ladies as. a school costume, orother one-piece girls orladys garment, other than under-garments, having in tegral or permanentlyconnected body and leg portions. I
A further object of my invention is to provide a utility seat or internal constructionfor such a one-piece garment so that even when made of thin or transparent material, the garment maybe worn without underclothing. V With theseand other objects. in view the in-. vention consists in the novel construction and arrangement of parts hereinafter described,.il1ustrated in the accompanying drawings, and'pa'rticularly pointed out in the appendedclaims, it being understood that various changes in the form and construction may be made withoutdeparting from the spirit of the invention or sacrificing any of the advantages thereof.
In the drawings:
Figure 1 is a front view of a pajama garment embodying my invention, partly broken away, and showing in full andindotted linesthe construction of my improved utility seat or inner port-ions. r I v Figure 2 is a back view of a garment similar'to that of Fig. 1, but showing a modified form of inner part and waist-attachment for the inner portions. f
Fig. 3 is a detail side view of part ofla garment showing the inner parts in dotted lines.
Fig. 4-is a detail view of the inner part removed from the garment.
Fig. 5 is a back view of a knitted bathing suit made with a seat according to my invention.
, Figs. 6 and '7 are plan views showing two modified forms. of waist attachment for use according to; my invention, and showing the body portion of the garment, at the waist line, in cross-section.
Referring particularly to Fig. l of the drawings, the ladys pajamas here shown consist of a body portion 1 and integral leg portions 2. The garment is or may be fastened by means of snaps orthe like 3 on an open shoulder seam. An inner member or crotch shield 4 comprising front and back pieces 6, 7, is permanently attached to the front by the line of stitching 5 along the waist line of the body portion 1, and along the upper edge of the front piece 6-. The front and back pieces both extend for a short distance downward-into the leg portions 2 and the back portion "I may be of substantially the same shape as the front portion 6, but is slightly fuller and is wider along its top edge than said front portion. These portions 6 and 7 are permanently attached together at their lower ends (see Fig. 4) by a lateral seam '30 corresponding approximately with the inside leg seam 31-of the leg portions 2, and are attached by snap fasteners 8 to the crotch of the garment and by similar fasteners 9 to the inside seams 31 of leg portions 2. At its top edge the back portion 7 is sewn to a belt 10 which passes through eyelets 1 1 in the body portion 1 and is secured at the front of the body by means of a buckle 32. Snap fasteners 12 on the belt 10 and corresponding sockets 13 on the garment areprovided for fastening the ends of the belt when it is desired to use the utility seat and in order that the'belt ends may not be lost through the said eyelets 11.
Referring to Fig. 2, in the form shown the in ner shield 4 is attached permanently to the back of the body portion 1 by a line of stitching 33, (instead of to the front thereof as in Fig. 1), and strings 14 are in this form adapted to pass through eyelets l1 and to be tied, externally of the garment at the rear thereof.
' Referring now to Fig. 3, the inner or crotch shield 4.- is here shown in dotted lines and the double dotted linefe'xtending from X to X represents the extent of aslit or opening 15 (see also Figs. I and 2) which is provided in the crotch seam 34 of the garment. It will be observed that this slit 15 is approximately horizontal'and disposed directly between the limbs, and hence is quite inconspicuous. 1 At each extremity of thisslit 15 one edge thereof is preferably lapped slightly over the other and sewn in this relation in order to predispose said edges to hang closely together or in overlapping relation throughout the full extent of the slit.
Referring particularly to Fig. 4, which shows the crotch shield 4 in detail, it will be noted that this is made up of four pieces of material which are cut and fitted together so as to conform to the wearers body, limbs and posterior, the sections of the front piece 6 being sewn together along avertical central seam 16, while the sections of the back piece 7 are sewn together along a central seam 35, and the lower edges of the pieces 6, 7 are connected to each otherbythe lateral crotch seam 30.
Fig. 5 shows my improved .utility seat applied to a knitted bathing suit, the crotch shield 4 being permanently attached interiorlyat the waist line in front along the line 5. The rear upper edge portion of said crotch shield is extended into a belt 10 which emerging from eyelets 11 encircles the waist of the wearerand is fastened in'front by means of a buckle or the like 12.
Referring to Figs. 6 and 7, the belts 18 and 19 respectively shown are for the'purpose'of giving the effect of a continuous waist-encircling belt while at the same time being interiorly attached to and supporting the upper edge of the crotch shield 4. The belt 18 (Fig.6) is fashioned of one continuous strip of material joined at its ends, and extending through eyelets 36 in buckle members 3'7, the inner portion of the belt passing through the eyelets 11 and being attached to the it is permanently fixed to the buckle parts 37 at each end of the outer part, while the interiorpart of the'belt which supports the crotch piece 4 is permanently attached at 20 at each end to the outer-part.
Although the drawings and the above specification disclose the best modes in which I have contemplated embodying my invention, I desire to be in no way limited to the details of such disclosure, for in the further practical application of my invention, many changes in the construction and in the details may be made as circumstances may require or experience suggest without departing from the spirit of the inven'tionwithin the scope of the appended claims.
What I claim is:
1. In a combination garment of the class described, a utility seat comprising an' interior crotch shield permanently fixed to and extend ing downwardly from the waist line in front, be-
. tween the limbs, and upwardly to an exteriorly inaccessible free edge at the back waist line and adapted to be adjustably secured upon the wearers body, detachable waist-encircling means on said free edge'adapted to be exteriorly fasi tened toadjust and secure said interior shield in to hold same and said crotch piece in fixed relaly concealed separable outer parts with approximately horizontal edges meeting at the central crotch line and terminating at points remote from the waist of the garment, an interior shield permanently fixed at one end to the garment at the waist line thereof and dependenttherefrom, detachable fastening means on the, opposite end of said shield to secure same in wearing position at the waist line opposite to said fixed end on the body of the wearer, seams in said shield intersecting each other at the crotch and shaping said shield to the contours of the body, and detachable fastening means on said shield and on the interior of said separable outer parts 9 0 tion when the garment is worn.
3. In a combination garment of the class described, a utility seat, comprising a longitudinally and transversely seamed inner back, front and crotch shield free at one of its upper edges and shaped to the body and having downwardly tapering front and rear portions attached together at their lower ends, means on said free endfor securing the shield in wearing'position, outer means for concealing said shield, a slit opening formed in said concealing means, extending between points remote from the waist of the garment and following a substantially horizontal line when the garment is worn upon an erect figure, and concealed fastening means for s'ecuring said opening. i
4. In a combination garment of the class described, a utility seat comprising edges separable along the horizontal central line and normally concealed entirely between the limbsof the wearer, an interior crotch shield integral at one end with the garment and adjustably suspended from its other end on the wearers body, seams in said shield intersecting each other at the crotch and shaping said shield to the contours of the body, means on said edges cooperating with means on the shield for securing the former, and means adjacent said edges cooperating with means on said shield for securing the latter in wearing position.
5. Ina combination garment of the class described; a utility seat comprising normally concealed edges separable along the central approximately horizontal line entirely between the limbs of the wearer, an interior back, front and crotch 25 shield integral at one end with the waist of the garment and adjustably suspended from its other end on the wearers body, seams in said shield intersecting each other at the crotch and shaping said shield to the contours of the body, means on said separableedges cooperating with means on the shield for securing the edges together, and means adjacent said edges cooperating with means on said shield for securing the latter in wearing position.
6. In a combination garmentof the class described, a utility seat comprising horizontal edges separable along the center line' thereof and normally concealed entirely between the limbs of the wearer, a suspended shield integral at one end with the waistline of the garment and detachable at its other end, fastening means, on the garment and on the shield for securing the latter to the garment crotch and for; fastening said edges together to conceal saidshield, and 345 means for adjustably suspending the free end of the shield upon the wearer's body. Z
'7. In a, combinationgarment of-the classdescribed, a utility seat comprising edges separable along a horizontal center line thereof and nor- 150 mally concealed entirely between the limbs of the wearer, a suspended back, front and crotch shield integral at one end with the waist line of the garment and detachable at its other end, fastening means for securing the shield to the garment crotch and for fastening said edges to conceal said shield, and waist encircling means for adjustably supporting the free end of the shield upon the wearers body at the waist line.
8. In a combination garment of the class described, a utility seat formed with an approximately horizontal central slit, and including an interior shield having downwardly tapering front
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US6206005 *||Mar 31, 1999||Mar 27, 2001||V. Carolyn Keyes||Method of assisting in child birth with accessible birth wear|
|International Classification||A41B9/00, A41B9/08|