US 20050115970 A1
The “plastic disposable trash can top”, namely the “DispoTop”, was invented to resolve the many problems which result from the loss of trash can tops. With this invention, a missing or lost trash can top can be replaced at minimal cost to the consumer. By simply stretching and placing the elastic bottom of my device over the top of the trash can in place of the missing lid, eliminates and resolves many environmental and safety hazards. Its' usage results in helping to keep a cleaner, safer and more sanitary environment. Never has there been a replacement cover for a trash can. Also this invention can protect different outside items from certain climatic conditions. Because of the material and structure of this invention, it is very versatile and appropriate for its uses.
1. I claim that the “disposable plastic trash can top” is my Idea and invention being that there is nothing made for the reasons that I stated for it's particular uses. Being in situations myself through the years and having to deal with losing my trash can tops along with my neighbors, seeing the consequences of neglect that occurs when trash Is left uncovered frustrated me into thinking of a way to remedy those problems.
2. Seeing people looking around for blown away trash can tops and becoming suspicious of each other when they'd see a lid that could possibly be theirs, trash being blown about and at night the sound of trash cans being turned over by animals searching for food and some of these could have been rats being lured closer to homes caused me to know that something should and has to be done.
3. There is nowhere on the market a product that claims to have been made to address these issues or provide the solutions to these issues that my invention will be able to provide. My invention was specifically developed to address these before said problems and situations.
4. I have looked around at topless trash cans where birds and other animals have pulled the food out of the trash cans and had sprawled the contents everywhere or simply just standing over it eating. I've seen maggots crawling inside trash cans and all over the ground and smelled the stench, all because of a lost, stolen or damaged trash can top. Week after week the same topless trash cans are put out on trash days (I'm as guilty as any other) with no sign of a solution. On rainy days the sanitation workers have to pickup trash cans that are heavier because of the rain added to the weight and the possibility of getting wet in the process. Cardboard boxes that are used to pack items for charities can be covered if there is a call for wet weather.
5. My invention has preempted anything of it's kind. There have been no TV ads nor advertisements of any kind that offers any product that addresses the problems and resolves any of the situations that I have stated that my invention has the ability to resolve. For these reasons I claim sole ownership of my invention because of it's uniqueness and novelty.
6. The Dispotop will be found to be able to cover many other items to protect them in certain situations. Because of the materials used to make it, it will be found to be very versatile.
Trash cans come with removable lids or tops. The purpose of the tops is to contain contents. During times of inclement weather such as high winds, hurricanes and thunder storms, the tops of trash cans sometimes get lost. Even on regular trash pickup days, workers from the Sanitation department are not very careful about replacing the tops on the trash cans or even putting them back in their rightful place. The tops get thrown into other yards or even left in the street where they get run over by cars and get too damaged to be used again.
Not having a trash can top can cause many problems. In windy weather trash cans get blown over and the contents get blown all around the neighborhood causing a real mess. Birds and other animals get into trash cans that are not covered dropping the contents all over the ground. Sometimes very hungry and dangerous animals are lured to topless trash cans. In hot climates trash cans with no lids cause Insect infestations and high bacterial growth as well as the awful odors that come with it. This can become costly to the consumer even to the point of receiving citations from their local government for sanitation violations.
Most consumers would not immediately replace a trash can simply because the lid has been lost. Having to buy a new trash can become a waste of money when the lid is the only thing that is missing and the trash can is still functional.
All of the problems of not having a trash can top would be totally eliminated with the use of a “disposable plastic trash can top”. No longer would there ever have to be an uncovered trash can. The lost trash can top can be replaced by my invention. No longer would consumers have to spend or waste money to replace a trash can just because the lid is missing. Consumers would more likely cover their trash cans rather than to leave them uncovered because of their reluctance to buy another trash can. Another advantage in using the “disposable plastic trash can tops” is that It's more sanitary because it's changeable and is thrown right out with the trash. No more having to clean and wash the lids and the sanitation workers won't have to handle those dirty lids
Because of the very nature of trash and especially garbage, there will always be the necessity to dispose of it. Because of the natural decomposing process which occurs, garbage has to be placed in a container (trash can) and should be covered properly for all the reasons stated previously. The pungent odors from bacterial contamination, infestation of insects which can cause horrendous consequences, the luring of animals searching for food and many more problems occur by simply not having a trash can covered.
So many times for the many reasons mentioned before, trash can tops get lost and the trash is left exposed and uncovered creating many problems. With the use of my “plastic disposable trash can top”, consumers can always keep their trash covered. If the lid gets blown away or damaged, cover it with my invention. It would not be expensive and has very necessary and practical uses. The plastic itself keeps any odors from getting into the atmosphere. It really aids in keeping the neighborhoods clean and sanitary. These can also be used by the Sanitation department in which they can cover the public trash cans when they get too full. This would deter citizens from trying to stuff trash in trash cans where there is no more space. Consequently, this will prevent trash from getting all over the streets which could result in less cost to the local government.
This invention has a myriad of uses wherever there is a need to protect or cover a surface and not just in times of bad weather or from the outside elements. Surfaces such as wall pictures or small table tops etc. may need to be covered during painting projects or certain types of indoor treatments.
This invention is something that should be in every home and business, especially restaurants. Having a product like this would encourage a desire for a better and cleaner environment.
The “DispoTop” is made of poly ethylene sheets of plastic and elastic cord to make a multi-sizeable, multi-shapeable and multi-usable product with the ability to hold snugly to the container or item to be covered.
The invention's name comes from the purpose for which it was invented, “plastic disposable trash can top”. The plastic protects whatever needs to be protected and covers whatever needs to be covered. The elastic around the bottom provides the security to hold, whereas the conventional trash can could not and does not provide. The conventional trash can holds the lids by clamps on two sides of the trash can.
The inexpensive materials used to produce this invention makes the cost of the product more affordable than replacing a conventional trash can simply because of a missing or lost top. The “DispoTop” also keeps the consumer in compliance with environmental and sanitation regulations. Many times because of the expense of buying a trash can only to replace a top discourages citizens and causes them to disobey their sanitation laws and leave their trash uncovered.
Through the years, my own trash can lids have gotten lost, taken or blown away after a storm or for whatever reason and I have been in those many situations where my own trash has gone uncovered for months or more or until the trash can itself needs to be replaced. I have never found anything or the likes of anything to get me through those times. This is how I thought of a way to fix these problems. These tops can be replaced over and over for a very low cost and for this there is incentive for its use. Simply stretch the open elastic bottom over the trash can. If for some reason the top would have to be removed, pull the gathered fan-like top in the middle of the cover.
For those times that certain items of charity have to be left out at curbside and the weather does not cooperate with those boxed items, having a plastic cover with an elastic bottom would come in real handy. My invention would be ideal for this use.
The plastic disposable trash can tops or “DispoTops” are made with two sheets of 2.0 mil polyethylene plastic, approximately 36-40 inches in width and 18-24 Inches In height. A one inch hem is heat sealed along the bottom of both sheets. The two sheets are placed together and heat sealed along the sides to make one item. The top is then gathered by making 2 inch folds in an alternate pattern. Each fold is heat sealed to hold the top together. The fold top is approximately 2.5 inches from the sealed portion. The gathered folds provides a handle. Insert into the hem an 11-12 inch piece of elastic cord <2 mm in diameter on each side of the sheets. Stretch to capacity and heat seal the ends of the cord to the hems on each side. This should stretch to approximately 40 inches around, allowing a variety of sizes and shapes of containers to be covered. The 18-20 inch depth allows for overflow of contents that may be within the container. The “disposable trash can top” could be used for trash cans ranging in various sizes, from small, medium to large.