|Publication number||US20060147276 A1|
|Application number||US 11/353,118|
|Publication date||Jul 6, 2006|
|Filing date||Feb 14, 2006|
|Priority date||Dec 30, 2004|
|Publication number||11353118, 353118, US 2006/0147276 A1, US 2006/147276 A1, US 20060147276 A1, US 20060147276A1, US 2006147276 A1, US 2006147276A1, US-A1-20060147276, US-A1-2006147276, US2006/0147276A1, US2006/147276A1, US20060147276 A1, US20060147276A1, US2006147276 A1, US2006147276A1|
|Inventors||Chin-Tai Lin, Ferdie Chen|
|Original Assignee||Chin-Tai Lin, Ferdie Chen|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (8), Classifications (4), Legal Events (1)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
This Patent Application is a Continuation-in-Part Application based on U.S. patent application Ser. No. 11/024,694, filed on 30 Dec. 2004, currently pending.
1. Field of the invention
The present invention relates to a geocell three-dimensional confinement system for retaining infill as a protective construction for slope protection, erosion control, ground stabilization, and retaining wall. More particularly, an infill is contained in geocells in the shape of honeycombs, which are composed of several plastic plates formed with rough surfaces for increasing the infill retaining capability of the geocell.
2. Brief Description of the Prior Art
A common geocell structure for retaining infill in geotechnical structure includes several plastic plates. Every two adjacent ones of the plastic plates are connected by ultrasonic welding or other methods together at several joints with certain ranges such that when the geocell is expanded, it will be in the shape of a honeycomb, which includes many cells for containing the infill, e.g. sand, stones, and earth, therein.
The manufacturing cost of the texturized cell material will increase because rollers have to be pressed against and moved along the plate-shaped main body in addition to the extrusion step. Furthermore, because the texturized surfaces are formed by means of rollers with superficial projections, they have regular projections thereon; the pattern on the rollers will repeat itself every time after the rollers turn one circle, as shown in
It is a main object of the present invention to provide a textured geocell to overcome the above disadvantages. Improved geotechnical structure can be a protection construction for slope protection, erosion control, ground stabilization, and retaining wall with plants.
The infill retained geocell of the present invention consists of several plastic plates, which have rough surfaces. Every two adjacent plastic plates are connected together at several joints by means of ultrasonic welding or other methods. Each of which elongate joints includes several aligned points; thus, the geocell can be expanded into a honeycomb-shaped three-dimenmsional confinement structure, and cells are formed for containing backfill therein. Because the plastic plates have rough surfaces, the backfill retaining capability has been significantly increased.
The present invention will be better understood by referring to the accompanying drawings, wherein:
Referring to FIGS. 1 to 3, a preferred embodiment 1 of a geocell for retaining infill in geotechnical structure includes several plastic plates with rough finishes 11 with irregular projections on both sides. Every two adjacent plastic plates are connected together at several spaced apart elongate joints, each of which elongate joints includes several aligned points, and in turns, the present geocell will be in the shape of a honeycomb, which includes many cells 12 for containing backfill therein, when it is expanded, as shown in
The rough finishes 11 on the plastic plates are made by means of the following steps:
1. mixing materials: plastic materials, stains, and processing aids are mixed and fed into a material barrel of a main extruding machine (A), and plastic materials, stains, processing aids, and foaming agent are mixed and fed into material barrels of second extruding machines (B) and (C);
2. extruding: the mixture of plastic materials, stains, and processing aids is melted in a material conduit of the main extruding machine (A), and extruded from the main extruding machine (A) to form a smooth basic material of the plastic plates; also, the mixtures of plastic materials, stains, processing aids, and foaming agent are melted in material conduits of the second extruding machines (B) and (C), with the foaming agent being heated and decomposed to produce gas, and the molten mixtures are extruded from the second extruding machines (B) and (C) respectively to form two pieces of rough covering materials of the plastic plates; the amount of the foaming agent is such that gas produced from the foaming agent is enough for making plastics produce bubbles and the bubbles break;
3. shaping: the smooth basic material extruded from the main extruding machine (A), and the rough covering material extruded from the second extruding machines (B) and (C) are conveyed to a mold head, and passed through the mold head together such that the rough covering materials are joined to two sides of the smooth basic parts, and a continuous sheet of plastic material forms with rough finishes;
4. cooling, rolling and severing: the continuous sheet of plastic material with rough finishes is cooled, rolled, and severed to form plural plastic plates with a predetermined size.
Because foaming agent is added to the material mixture, and the amount of the foaming agent is such that when the foaming agent is heated and decomposed, gas produced from it is enough for making plastics produce bubbles and the bubbles break, the plastic plates will form with bubbles on the surfaces thereof, and the bubbles will break randomly. In other words, the plastic plates have rough finishes with irregular projections forming a randomized pattern.
From the above description, it can be easily understood that the textured geocell of the present invention has better retaining capability than the conventional ones as described in Background.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US7651496||Jul 19, 2005||Jan 26, 2010||Zimmer Spine, Inc.||Methods and apparatuses for percutaneous implant delivery|
|US7993080||Sep 26, 2008||Aug 9, 2011||Prs Mediterranean Ltd.||Earthquake resistant earth retention system using geocells|
|US8173241 *||Sep 26, 2008||May 8, 2012||Prs Mediterranean Ltd.||Sandwich system|
|US8303218||Jun 14, 2011||Nov 6, 2012||Prs Mediterranean Ltd||Earthquake resistant earth retention system using geocells|
|US8425158||Sep 24, 2007||Apr 23, 2013||J & S Franklin, Ltd.||Cellular confinement systems|
|US20100296877 *||Dec 10, 2008||Nov 25, 2010||Afitex International||Product including cells formed by band stapling and method and device for producing a cellular product|
|WO2009042860A1 *||Sep 26, 2008||Apr 2, 2009||Adi Erez||Earthquake resistant earth retention system using geocells|
|WO2009045896A1 *||Sep 26, 2008||Apr 9, 2009||Adi Erez||Sandwich system|
|Feb 21, 2006||AS||Assignment|
Owner name: HUIKWANG CORPORATION, TAIWAN
Free format text: ASSIGNMENT OF ASSIGNORS INTEREST;ASSIGNORS:LIN, CHIN-TAI;CHEN, FERDIE;REEL/FRAME:017279/0051
Effective date: 20060210