|Publication number||US2011438 A|
|Publication date||Aug 13, 1935|
|Filing date||Jan 5, 1934|
|Priority date||Jan 5, 1934|
|Publication number||US 2011438 A, US 2011438A, US-A-2011438, US2011438 A, US2011438A|
|Inventors||Daller Adrian O|
|Original Assignee||Daller Carton Co Inc|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (24), Classifications (8)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
8- 1935- Q A. o. DALLER 2,011,438
CONTAINER Filed Jan. 5, 19:54 2 Sheets-Sheet 1 IN VENT OR 1mg p Aug. 13, 1935. A. o; DALLER 2,011,438
CONTAINER Filed Jan. 5, 1934 [2 Sheets-Sheet 2 IN VENT OR B v WM WQ Patented Aug. 13, 1935 I, t I I UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE 1 comma Adrian O. Daller, Dennisport, Mass" aseignor to Daller Carton Co. Inc., New York, N. Yb, a core poration New York Applicationlanuary 5, 1934, Serial No. 705,320 12 claims. (01. ace-"51) This invention relates to containers and more and predeterminedly spaced from the top edge specifically to tight-seal containers. thereof. when it is desired to, open the carton, Ingeneral, it is an object of the invention to the score line is severed and the cover section, provide a device of the character described, with those portions of the front and side sec- 5 which will efliciently attain the purpose for. tions above the score linemay be hinged!!! Opened 6 which it is intended, which is simple and eco-. about an. axis lying in t back ct o e nohiical of construction, which can be expediont and s e Sections y be considered 8 113V? tiously and conveniently manipulated' and which ing an upper edge at the score line and the macan be readily manufactured and assembled. terial above the score line may be termed ex- 10 Another object of the. invention isto provide a tensions leading and secured to the cover sec- 10 container which will guard the contents therein tion. after it has been opened; and to makesuch a. Means are provided for guarding against leak-v container from a single piece of material. age of the contents out of .the container through Another object is to provide a tight-sealed .the score line after the cover has been opened 5 container which has a. severable hinged cover n p ck in place- Th e m y ke the form and which is still sealed to a certain extent'after of a strip of material I8 secured, preferably by the cover ha b n v r d, an adhesive, to those parts of thefront and Other objects of'the invention will in part be side sections lyin above the. score line. The obvious and will in part appear hereinafter. s r p e te ds down p the s e line and over- The invention accordin l comprises a ar lies at least a part of the front and side sections. 20 ticle of manufacture possessing the features, I It y else be h d o the top of the back properties and the relation of elements which c n- I m y b attached to the blank while will vbe exemplified in the article hereinafter the l r i fl t, o'r-it may be attached by the described and the scope of the application of f lding mechanism during th f l P which will b i i t in th lai When a sealed carton so constructed is opened 25 For a fuller understanding of the nature and, by the breaking of the score line and the raisin objects of the invention, reference should be had of the v h strip l8 will depend from the to the following detailed description taken in Sections which depend from the v rndwhen tie ith th accompanying drawings, in I the cover is thereafter set down again the strip which; acts as a guard overlying the slit portion, and as Fig. 1 is a plan view of a blank embodying one a uide properly to Position and to hold in D form of the invention; sition the cover and the sections depending Fig. 2 is a perspective view of a device formed therefrom. t Y from the blank shown in 1; v i Fig. 3 shows a modiilcation'of the device shown Fig. 3 is a plan view of a modification of the in F 1- In the modified form, the strip I i 35 blank shown in Fig. 1; secured to the front and side sections below the Fig. 4 is a. perspectiveview of a device formed Score l ne I1 80 t wh n h ver'is raised after from th bla k shown n Fig, 3; the *score line is broken, the strip remains at- Fig. 51s a plan view .of a modification of the tached to the bottom portion of the container 40 blank shown in Fig. .1; and not to the'cover. 40
Fig. 6 is a perspective view of a device formed The means which guard against leakage after from the blank shown in the devicehas been'unsealed, may be formed from is 8"Plan e the the same blank from which the remainder of blenkshown in 5; and the device is formed and may be integral with g i zg sm f gg g a device formed said remainder. Such a'blank and device are In the drawings, l0 denotes a blank adapted a ggi g 1 5 z gf zgag g fto be formed into-a carton and comprising front, an f bl I i te side, back, top and bottom sections u, l2, l3, nemd em i 11 81111 with ion I4 and I5, respectively, and folding tabs or secthe sections bemg e part severed tions 16. Means are provided whereby when from the body material which WOuld mallyv the device has been tight sealed with 'approconstitute Por i n of the sections IS. A score.- priately-placed adhesive, it can be opened. This line I! is provided in the front andside sections may take the form of a weakened or score line dividing them into upper and lower parts, s
i1 extending along the front and side sections tions is and 2| extend away from section I 66 side walls.
farther than the distance between the top of the front and side sections and the score line H.
-Means are provided for securing the sections l8 and 2| to the walls of the container. These may be an area of glue 23 on the inner surface of side and front walls positioned above the score line H. When the upper part of the container is hingedly raised, as hereinafter explained, the sections i9 and 2| will be integral with that part and extend down beyond the glued area and the score line H.
' In forming the device from the blank,.the front, back and side sections are folded together at any convenient time. rightan les to the back and the sections l9 and 2| at right angles to the cover section It. Seetions i9 and 2| thus form depending flanges from the cover section which lie inside the front and Sections 2|! may be turned under or over as folds or they may be removed. Sections I6 and the cover section 22 extending from the w front section It, may be folded'over section It.
To .open the device, the score line H is severed and the cover with its overlying layers l6 and 22 may be hingedly raised. Depending from layers J6 and 22 are the portions of the side and front walls originally above the score line and within these there are the sections l9 and 2| depending from the cover section It. The sections l9 and 2| depend farther than the others. When it is desired to reclose the device, the sections l9 and 2| lie across the severed score line and form an apron partially to seal oil the contents of the deilar to that shown in Figs. 5 and 6 except that the glue area 28" on the surface of the side and front walls is positioned below the score line H. A very heavy score line 24 separates the sections ll, 20 and 2| from the section I4. when the upper part of the container is hingedly raised, as
hereinafter explained,-the sections I9, 20 and 2| separate along the score line 24 from section It and remainv attached to the front andside sections and-i 2 and extend above them.
It is understood that the invention described and claimed herein is not to be limited'by'the particular terminology employed or by the relative dimensions of the portions shown in the drawings. For example, those parts referred to as covers maybe sides, ends or bottoms and vice -verse. and the box or carton may be broader than it is tall.
Since certain changes may be. made in the above article and diflerent embodiments of the invention could be made without departing from the scope thereof, it is intended that all matter contained in theabove description or shown-in the accompanyingdrawingsshall be interpreted as illustrative and not-in a limiting sense.
It is also to be understood that the following andmeans attached to at least one of said extenclaims are intended to cover all of the generic and specific features of the invention herein described, and all statemdntsokthesoope-of the invention which, as a' matter of language, might be said to fall therebetween.
Having described my inventionfwhat I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent is: 1. In a device of the character described, the combination comprising a section, a section hinged to said first section, other sections adjacent said hinged section, and extension means Section II is folded over at.
combination comprising a section, a cover section hinged to said first section, other sections adjacent to said cover section, and extension means secured to said hinged section and adapted to'lie along all said adjacent sections at certain positions of said hinged section, said hinged section being separated from at least a part of said adjacent sections by a score line.,
3. In a device of the character described, thecombination comprising a section, a section hinged to said first section, other sections adjacent thereto and extension means secured to said hinged section and adapted to underlie all said adjacent. sections at certain positions of said hinged section, said hinged section being separated from at least a part of said adjacent sections by a score line.
4. In a device of the character described, the combination comprising a section forming at least a portion of a wall, a cap-shaped section hinged thereto, other sections adjacent said capshaped section, and extension means secured to the inner side of said cap-shaped section and adapted to lie along all said adjacent sections at certain positionsof said cap-shaped section, said. hinged section being separated from at least a part of said adjacent sections by a score line.
5. In a device of the character described, the combination comprising .a e section forming at least a portion of a wall, a cap-shaped section hinged thereto, other sections adjacent said capshaped section, and extension means secured to and extending along the inner side of the exposed edge of said cap-shaped section and adapted to lie along all said adjacent sections at certain posi- .tions of said cap-shaped.section, said hinged section being separated from at least a part of said adjacent sections by a score line. 6. In a device oi the character described, the combination comprising a base portion, a hinged portion adapted to act as a cover, sections"adjacent said hinged portion and having extensions attached to said cover, score lines separating said adjacent sections from said extensions, said extensionsadapted for becoming iianges on said hinged section when said score linesare severed, and means attached to said extensions and adapted to lie along said adjacent sections at M certain positions of said hinged portion.
.7. In a device of the character described, the combination comprising a base portion, a hinged portion adapted to act asa cover, sections adjacent said hinged portion and having extensions attached to said cover, score lines separating said adjacent sections from said extensions, said extensions adapted for becoming fianges on' said hinged sectionwhen said score lines are severed,
sions and adapted to lie along all of said adjacent sections at certain positions of said hinged'p'or tion. I
8. In a device ofthe character described, the combination comprising abase portion, a hingedportion adapted to ,act as a cover, extension 'means integral with one of said portions and adapted to iie'along the other portion when said hinged portion is in closed position, said-portions being set of! at least in part from each other by a severable score line.
9, In a device of'thecharacterdescribed, the combination comprising a base portion, a hinged section, sections adjacent to said hinged section, and extension means integral with said hinged section and adapted to lie along said adjacent sections at certain positions of said hinged section, said hinged section being separated from at least a part of said adjacent sections by a score line.
10. In a device of the character described, the combination comprising 'a base portion, a cover section, sections adjacent said cover section having extensions associated with said cover section, sever'able score lines in said adjacent sections, and an extension integral with said cover section and reaching beyond said scorelines.
11. A blank for forming a carton comprising front, back, and side walls, extensions from'each of said walls adapted tooverlap to form a cover,
score lines setting ofli a portion of each; of said front and side walls whereby said set-oil' portion will remain integral with the extensions from said walls when said score linesare broken, a
-: plurality of elements integral with the extension irom said rear wall, said elements being adapted to be folded about said extension to form a flange depending therefrom, and means to aflix a portion of each of said elements to that wall of the carton which it overlies when said carton is assembled. 1 I
12. A blank 'for forming a carton comprising 1'ront,back, and side walls, extensions from each' of said walls adapted to overlap to form a cover, score linessetting ofl a portion of each of said trout and side walls whereby said set-off. portion will remain integral with the extensions from said walls when said score lines are broken, a plurality rear wall, said elements being adapted to be folded about said extension to form a flange depending therefrom, means to affix a portion 0! each of said elements to that wall of the carton Y of elements integral with the extension from said which it overlies when said carton is assembled,
and means to permit an easy severance of said elements from the said extension of.- said rear wall. O. DALLER.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2919845 *||Feb 4, 1957||Jan 5, 1960||Edward Walterman||Closure means for dispensing cartons|
|US2951626 *||Feb 8, 1956||Sep 6, 1960||Adolph Weiss||Box construction|
|US2963213 *||Mar 28, 1956||Dec 6, 1960||Diamond National Corp||Carton|
|US2988262 *||Jul 12, 1957||Jun 13, 1961||Anderson Carl E||Hinged top carton|
|US3018031 *||Nov 3, 1958||Jan 23, 1962||Arenco Ab||Boxes|
|US3079064 *||Oct 24, 1955||Feb 26, 1963||Diamond National Corp||Carton|
|US3099382 *||Jun 28, 1956||Jul 30, 1963||American Mach & Foundry||Cartons for elongated articles|
|US3593911 *||May 14, 1969||Jul 20, 1971||Fibreboard Corp||Removable tape for recloseable carton|
|US3826421 *||Jan 20, 1971||Jul 30, 1974||Fibreboard Corp||Severable carton with sterile edge|
|US4310093 *||Aug 21, 1979||Jan 12, 1982||Migros Genossenschafts-Bund||Folding box and blank for fabricating the same|
|US4325482 *||Nov 20, 1980||Apr 20, 1982||The Procter & Gamble Company||Flip top, reclosable carton|
|US5236123 *||Oct 7, 1992||Aug 17, 1993||Stone James L||Carton and liner tear-tape assembly|
|US5328091 *||Nov 17, 1992||Jul 12, 1994||Accurate Box Company, Inc.||Flip-top carton for powdered detergent|
|US5437407 *||Jul 11, 1994||Aug 1, 1995||Dae Young Packing Co., Ltd.||Detergent packing paper box|
|US5439168 *||Jul 11, 1994||Aug 8, 1995||Dae Young Packing Co., Ltd.||Paper box having strip-shaped inlet|
|US5749462 *||May 30, 1996||May 12, 1998||Reckitt & Colman Products Limited||Improvements in flip-top type carton containers|
|US6860400||Mar 18, 2003||Mar 1, 2005||Caraustar Custom Packaging||Container with friction dispenser|
|US6863212||Mar 11, 2003||Mar 8, 2005||Caraustar Custom Packaging||Reclosable container|
|US6866189||Apr 7, 2003||Mar 15, 2005||Caraustar Custom Packaging||Retail carton and baking tray|
|US6871778||Apr 7, 2003||Mar 29, 2005||Caraustar Custom Packaging||Container for holding and dispensing multiple types of items|
|US20040178252 *||Mar 11, 2003||Sep 16, 2004||Stone James L.||Reclosable container|
|US20040195299 *||Apr 7, 2003||Oct 7, 2004||Petrelli J. Anthony||Container for holding and dispensing multiple types of items|
|US20040195301 *||Apr 7, 2003||Oct 7, 2004||Nelson Daniel J.||Retail carton and baking tray|
|WO1996038354A1 *||May 3, 1996||Dec 5, 1996||Reckitt & Colman Products Limited||Improvements in or relating to flip-top containers|
|U.S. Classification||229/225, 229/146, 229/160.1|
|Cooperative Classification||B65D5/543, B65D5/5425|
|European Classification||B65D5/54B3B, B65D5/54B3B6|