|Publication number||US2197195 A|
|Publication date||Apr 16, 1940|
|Filing date||Mar 2, 1938|
|Priority date||Mar 2, 1938|
|Publication number||US 2197195 A, US 2197195A, US-A-2197195, US2197195 A, US2197195A|
|Original Assignee||Schemers William|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (33), Classifications (11)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
April 16, 1940. w. SCHEMERS LATCH Filed March 2, 1938 HUM Patented Apr. 16, 1940 UNlTE- stares Aren't rm 1 I 7'Claims. Thisinvention relates to a latch mechanism designed ,for use in conjunction with various types of'closures, such as, for example, the doors of cupboards, cabinets, compartments etc.
The primary object'oi the invention is to simplify the openingoi doors, hinged covers etc. by
the provision .ofa latch which is characterized by the simplicity with which it may be operated. Anotherobject of the invention is to provide a latch which .is characterized by the absence of protruding: parts that might catch upon and tear the clothing of persons passing the same, or cause injury to persons.
Another object of the invention is to provide a latch in which the actuator is in the form of a plate mountedfiush with the .door surface, and wherein the latch is released by the pushing-in action of thelatch plate. Surrounding the inswinging latch release plate is a face plate of ornamental characteristics with a portion which resides in position for engagement by the finger of a person operating the latch plate, whereby it provides a convenient means for moving the unlatched door.
With the above and other ends in view, the in vention is more fully disclosed with reference to the accompanying drawing, in which Figure 1 is a horizontal section through a door equipped with the present latch;
Fig. 2 is a fragmental external elevation of the latch;
Fig. 3 is asection taken on the line 3-3 of F 2:
Fig. 4 is a section similar to Fig. 3 illustrating the latch released; and
Fig. 5 is a section illustrating the latch applied to a drawer.
Like characters of reference are employed throughout to designate corresponding parts.
By way of example the drawing illustrates a door l mounted upon a side frame 2' by means of a hinge 3, whereby its swinging end contacts the side frame member 4. Adjacent the edge of the I swinging end an openingfid is provided for the reception of the latch mechanism.
The latch mechanism comprises inner and outer face plates 5 and 5, the'inner face plate being secured to the door by screws 1, and the outer platebeing secured to the inner plate by screws 8 which engage brackets 9 thereon. The brackets 9 are formed as an integral part of the outer plate 5 by punching a centrally disposed portion therefrom. The opening it, resulting-from formation'of the brackets 9, receives a plate I I which comprises the latch actuator.
plate H is providedwith two rearwardly extending flanges l2, which extend between the brackets 9-, and which are fulcrumed'upon-a pin it.- .A spring M is mountedupon the pin l3 and has its opposite ends engaging the'iface plate 6 .11,
and actuator plate M respectively, whereby it normally holds the actuator plate I! inthe opening Hi, in plane coincident: with the outer face plate 6. Extending rearwardly from respective flanges l2, and through slots E5 in the inner face 19 plate- 5, are two hookarms lliand I]. A bracket 18- is mounted upon the side frame member '4, and when. the door isclosed the hook arm 16 engages the bracket E8 to hold. the door closed.
In order to release the latch and open the 1d door, theoperator inserts his finger through the opening ilk-and thereby pivots the actuator plate l l wherebythe hook arm i6 is released from the bracket l8.
In, the door -illustratei the latch mechanism 20] is mounted at the left hand,sidethereof;v .In the caseof a door hing'edat its left hand side, the latch mechanism'will be'mounted at the right hand side of the door, inwhich casethe hook arm ll will cooperate with abracket likethat shown at t8;v It becomes obvioustherefore, that with the provision of two hook arms I 6 and I! the same latch unit may be used at either side of the door. I
InFig. 5, the latch is illustrated in conjunction with a drawer having a top cover l9. A latch mechanism, identical to that .above described, and generally designated by the numeral 20, is I mounted in an opening 2! in the front wall 22 of the drawer and co-operates with a bracket 23 mounted on. the cover l9. 1
Although a specific embodiment of the invention has been illustrated and described, it will be understood that various changes may he made within the scope of the appended claims without 40 departing from the spirit of the invention, and such changes are contemplated;
What I claim is:
1. A latch mechanism adapted to be mounted i r in an opening in a member, said latch mecha nism comprising an outer face plate for concealing said opening, an inner plate secured. to-
said member at the rear of said opening, said two plates having means connectingjthe same whereby the inner plate supports the outer face plate, said outer face plate having an opening; therein, a pivoted actuator plate normally dis-' .posed in the opening in said face plate, and a latchmember carried by said actuator plate and cooperable with a catch member mounted rearwardly of said inner plate.
2. A latch mechanism for a container having an opening in a wall thereof closable by a movable closure member provided with an opening therethrough,a platemember carried by the movable closure member and overlying'the opening therethrough, said plate member having an open ing therethrough, a movable closure member arranged to position in and close the opening in said plate member, and a latch member carried by said second-named closure member and cooperable with a catch member mounted within the container, said latch member being operable by and on movement of said second-named closure member to disengage from the catch member.
3. In a cabinet having an opening in a wall thereof closable by a movable closure member having an opening therethrough, a latch mechanism for the closure member comprising, a plate overlying the opening in the closure member and having an opening therethrough, a movable closure member for the opening in said plate, a latch member carried by said second-named closure member and cooperable with a catch member within the cabinet, and means rearwardly of said plate and attaching said plate to the first-named closure member.
4. In a container having an opening in a wall theroef closable by a movable closure member provided with an opening therethrough, a movable closure member overlying said second-named opening and pivotally mounted on the firstnamed closure member, a latch member carried by said second-named closure member and cooperable with a catch member mounted withinv the container, guide means for said latch member, and means cooperable with said guide means to support said second-named closure member.
5. In a container having an opening in a wall thereof closable by a movable closure member provided with an opening therethrough, a movable closure member overlying said secondnamed opening and pivotally mounted on the first-named closure member, a latch member carried by said second-named closure member and cooperable with a catch member mounted within the container, guide means for said latch member, means cooperable with said guide means to support said second-named closure member, and spring means operable to pivot said secondnamed closuremember in one direction.
6. In a container having an opening in a wall thereof closable by a movable closure member provided with an opening therethrough, a plate member overlying the opening in the closure member externally of the container, a second plate member overlying the opening in the closure member internally of the container, means securing said plate members together and to the closure member, said first-named plate member having an opening therethrough overlying the opening in the closure member, a pivoted closure member for the opening in said first-named plate member, a latch member carried by said pivoted closure member and projecting into the container for cooperation with a catch member mounted therein, said second-named plate member having a slot to receive and guide said latch member, and spring means operable to move said second-named closure member and urge said latch member into latching relation with the catch member.
'7. A latch mechanism fora closure member having an opening therethrough, comprising, an outer face plate concealing the opening, said plate having a pair of spaced brackets disposed within the opening, an inner plate mounted on said closure member, means carried by said inner plate and cooperable with said brackets to support said outer face plate, said outer face plate having an opening therethrough overlying the opening in the closure member, an actuator plate pivotally supported on said brackets and normally closing said opening in said outer face plate, and a latch member carried by said actuator plate and cooperable with a catch member rearwardly of said inner plate, said inner plate having a guide slot to receive said latch member.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2560300 *||Jul 13, 1946||Jul 10, 1951||Miller Guy O||Leg locking latch for ironing tables|
|US2649322 *||May 20, 1946||Aug 18, 1953||Mack Grant||Flush door latching mechanism|
|US2670981 *||Jan 31, 1952||Mar 2, 1954||Douglas L Wenham||Latch mechanism|
|US3174785 *||Jul 2, 1962||Mar 23, 1965||Sperry Rand Corp||Self-latching fastening mechanism|
|US3244091 *||Sep 4, 1964||Apr 5, 1966||Philip R Anderson||Wedge press and truss making machine|
|US3797870 *||Apr 21, 1972||Mar 19, 1974||Keystone Consolidated Ind Inc||Flush mounted handle, latch bolt, lock and housing assembly|
|US3808423 *||Jan 21, 1972||Apr 30, 1974||Eclairage Tech||Light fixtures|
|US3996711 *||Apr 10, 1974||Dec 14, 1976||Ellis Pearson & Co. Limited||Walls|
|US4365830 *||Jun 9, 1980||Dec 28, 1982||Inglis Limited||Safety latch for washer closure|
|US4778207 *||Sep 1, 1987||Oct 18, 1988||General Motors Corporation||Release handle assembly|
|US4875726 *||Nov 17, 1987||Oct 24, 1989||Magna International Inc.||Compensating escutcheon plate for car door|
|US4898415 *||Oct 11, 1988||Feb 6, 1990||Mitsui Kinzoku Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha||Apparatus for mounting an outer door handle assembly to an automotive door|
|US5066055 *||Nov 5, 1990||Nov 19, 1991||Kabushiki Kaisha Toyoda Jidoshokki Seisakusho||Locking device for hood|
|US5129341 *||Mar 28, 1991||Jul 14, 1992||Wang Shui Nu||Retaining device for a cover of a sewing machine|
|US6062623 *||May 18, 1998||May 16, 2000||Prince Corporation||Latch for vehicle overhead storage bin|
|US6357803||Mar 9, 2000||Mar 19, 2002||Electrolux Siegen Gmbh||Security lock, for doors in installation/mounting in caravans in particular|
|US6527353 *||Sep 8, 2000||Mar 4, 2003||Darrell R. Bradfish||Latch handle for doors and drawers|
|US7360801 *||Jun 19, 2001||Apr 22, 2008||U-Haul International, Inc.||Door latching system|
|US8215599 *||Jan 15, 2009||Jul 10, 2012||Dr. Ing. H.C.F. Porsche Ag||Fastening device|
|US8240786||Nov 13, 2008||Aug 14, 2012||Waterloo Industries, Inc.||Door latch|
|US9422750||Aug 12, 2014||Aug 23, 2016||Waterloo Industries, Inc.||Range limited latch|
|US20020190529 *||Jun 19, 2001||Dec 19, 2002||U-Haul International, Inc.||Door latching system|
|US20060261599 *||Jul 8, 2004||Nov 23, 2006||Takayuki Ikemoto||Cover lock mechanism|
|US20080150407 *||Dec 14, 2007||Jun 26, 2008||Master Lock Company Llc||Drawer latch|
|US20090127987 *||Nov 13, 2008||May 21, 2009||Waterloo Industries, Inc.||Door latch|
|US20090184532 *||Jan 15, 2009||Jul 23, 2009||Dr. Ing. H.C. F. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft||Fastening device|
|US20130127312 *||Apr 26, 2011||May 23, 2013||Francis Chedozeau||Child safety device for furniture|
|CN101861109B||Nov 14, 2008||Mar 20, 2013||沃特卢工业公司||Door latch|
|DE19910564A1 *||Mar 10, 1999||Sep 21, 2000||Electrolux Siegen Gmbh||Sicherheitsverriegelung, insbesondere für Türen in Einbauten von Wohnmobilen|
|DE19910564C2 *||Mar 10, 1999||Jun 26, 2003||Dometic Gmbh||Sicherheitsverriegelung, insbesondere für Türen in Einbauten von Wohnmobilen|
|DE102007029904A1 *||Jun 28, 2007||Jan 2, 2009||BSH Bosch und Siemens Hausgeräte GmbH||Bolting device for door of household appliance, e.g. washing machine, stove or dishwasher, particularly household dishwasher, has fixed bracket that is formed between bolting position and unblocking position|
|EP1035286A2 *||Feb 28, 2000||Sep 13, 2000||Electrolux Siegen GmbH||Safety locking, particularly for doors in built-in furniture for caravans|
|WO2009064960A1 *||Nov 14, 2008||May 22, 2009||Master Lock Company Llc||Door latch|
|U.S. Classification||292/128, 292/DIG.630, 292/DIG.310, 292/228|
|International Classification||E05C3/14, E05B5/00|
|Cooperative Classification||E05C3/14, Y10S292/63, Y10S292/31, E05B5/00|