|Publication number||US2271012 A|
|Publication date||Jan 27, 1942|
|Filing date||Aug 7, 1939|
|Priority date||Aug 7, 1939|
|Publication number||US 2271012 A, US 2271012A, US-A-2271012, US2271012 A, US2271012A|
|Inventors||Hutchings John H|
|Original Assignee||Cleveland Pneumatic Tool Co|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (15), Classifications (4)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Jan/27, 1942. .H. HUTCHINGS RIVEIING CLAMP Filed- Aug. '7, 1939 INVENTOR. 70/121 H Ha fchz'n 5 BY 8. W
Patented Jan. 27, 1942 sired to prevent slipping.
UNITED STATES f PATENT opt-m John H. Hutchings, Los Angeles, Calif., assignor, by mesne assignments, to .The Cleveland Pneumatic Tool Company, Cleveland,
corporation of Ohio Ohio, a
This invention relates to riveting and more particularly to a centering and locking device for riveted parts.
An object'of the invention is to provide a simple; practical and'inexpensive device of the character described.
Another object is to provide a spring vclamp that will hold riveting plates together when in alignment for the riveting operation.
A further object is to provide a'riveting clamp for centering the riveting holes which may be operated by hand andreadily retracted for successive use.
Other objects and advantages will appear and be brought out more fully in the following specification, reference being had to the accompanying drawing, wherein:
Fig. 1 is a perspective view showing two plates to be riveted together using the invention;
Fig. 2 is a perspective view 'of the riveting clamp of the invention;
Fig. 3 is a sectional view taken substantially along the line 2-3 of Fig. 1;
Fig. .4 is a view substantially similar to Fig. 3 showing the device in normal inoperative position;
Fig. 5 is an end view as seen substantially fro the point I in Fig. 3; and
Fig. 6 is a separate view of the plunger element.
Referring more particularly to the drawing, I show a cylinder or body ll having an end face H, a flange l2, a tapered bore 12, and a cylindrical bore I having a shoulder ii. A plunger I6 is reciprocable in bore and is urged outwardly by spring" between it and shoulder II. A pair of jaw members II are pivoted at II to plunger 18 and have side portions 22 tapered similar to the taper of bore l2. Members 20 each have an enlarged pointed end portion 2| and a shoulder 22 thereon. A compression spring 22 is secured between members I! in any suitable manner such as by recesses 2|, and normally urges the members it apart. Face ll may be knurled if de- The operation of the deviceshould be apparent from the foregoing description. shown a pair of plates 25 having overlapping edge portions 26 which are to be riveted together, the plates being provided with apertures or rivet holes 21. The plates 25 are brought into approximate alignment for riveting and riveting clamps of this invention are inserted in rivet holes 21 at intervals such as one out of every four or five.
The cylinder i0 is held between two fingers as shown in Fig. 2 and plunger ll pressedinwardly,
as shownin dotted lines in Fig. 3 by the action of tapers 20 in tapered bore can be inserted through apertures 21 and upon release of the pressure against plunger l8 and retraction of members 18, ends 2| separate through action of spring 28 as shown in Fig. 3, thus resulting in the plates 25 being clamped between face II and shoulders 22 while the intervening riveting holes 21 will be maintained in alignment for riveting. After the intervening riveted holes have been riveted, the clamped devices may be removed and the holes thus left can be riveted and the clamps used over and over again. Thus the riveting operation for plates can be speeded up very materially from ,other methods heretofore used. This time element is of great importance in certain industries, such as the manufacture of airplanes and others where speed is the important factor..
Having described my invention, what I claim l. A device of the character described'comprising a body having a tapered bore and a trans verse end abutment, a pair of Jaw members in said bore having tapered sides and shouldered end portions beyond said abutment, said end portions adapted to be moved toward each other when said members are. advancedin said bore whereby said end portions may be inserted through a rivet hole, sald end portions adapted to be separated to engage the under side of a plate and means to hold same against said abutment when said members are retracted in said bore.
2. A device of the character described comprising a body, an aperture in said body having a tapered portion, aplunger in said bore having may be drawn together and inserted through the rivet holes of a pair of plate members when said plunger and jaw members are advanced in said aperture and said end portions may be expanded and hold said plate members against said body face, and said plunger and jaw members retract: ed in said aperture by the action of said spring member in engagement with said plunger.
- 3. A fastener for temporarily holding together. at least two perforated sheets in superposed relation, including a housing having a base adapted to rest on the upper sheet, a vertical bore through said base, a retainer slidable in said housing inbase, said projections being laterally movable to- Thus ends 2| to ward each other for insertion through aligned bore.
perforations 01 said sheets and laterally movable away from each other for engagement with the ing a spring responsive to the slidable movement of said retainer in one direction for effecting lateral movement oi said projections away from each other.
4. A i'astener for temporarily holding together end portions away from each other, and cam means .between said body and jaw members reunder side oi. the lower sheet, and means includsponsive to the slidable movement of said members in one direction for eii'ecting lateral movement 01' said end portions toward each other.
9. A temporary rivet including an elongated retaining member iormed with-an open end slot extending longitudinally from 'one end thereof,
at least two perforated sheets in superposed re- 4 lation, including a housing having a base adapted,
, means including a spring responsive to the slidable movement of said legs in the other direction for eflecting lateral movement of said projections away irom each other.
5. In a device of the character described, a body having-a bore extending vertically therethrough, a latch element slidable in said body through said bore, a lateral projection on said element below said body, said projection being movable into or out of the marginal edge of said bore, means active-on said element normally urging it out 01' the marginal edge of said bore, and cam means between said body and element. responsive to the slidable movement of said element in one direction for eiiecting movement of said projection into the marginal edge of said 6. In a device of the character described, a housing having a bore extending axially therethrough, a latch element slidable in said housing through said bore, a lateral projection on said element below said mousing, said projection being movable into or out oi the marginal edge or said bore, means responsive to the slidable movement oisaid element in one direction for eflecting movement of said projection intothe marginal edge of said bore, and means including a spring member active on said element for eflecting movement of said projection out or the marginal edge of said bore during movement of said element in the other direction.
7. A device oi the character described comprising a body having a tapered bore and a transverse end abutment, a pair of jaw members slidable in said bore having shouldered end portionsbeyond said abutment, said end portions being movable toward each other during slidable movement of said jaw members in one direction by virtue of the engagement 01 said member with the tapered wall oi said bore, and means active on said jaw members responsive to their slidable lateral projections on said member one on each side oi-said slot, a projecting element extending transversally of said member and slidable with respect thereto at least up to said projection,
means including a spring responsive to the slid-' able movement 0! said member relative to said element in one direction for eii'ecting lateral movement of said projections away from each other, and means responsive to the slidable movement of said member relative to said element in the other direction for eiiecting lateral movement of said projections toward each other.
10. A device of the character described com prising a body having a bore extending vertically therethrough, a plunger slidable in said bore, a
I pair of jaw members pivotally connected to said plunger for slidable movement therewith, shouldered end portions on said members below said body being pivotally movable into or out of the marginal edge of said bore, and means responsive to the slidable movement of said plunger i'or enacting pivotal movement 01' said end projections into or out 01' the marginal edge of said bore.
11. A device or the character described comprising a body having a bore extending vertically therethrough, a plungerslidable in saidbore, a
latch element pivotally connected to said plunger ior slidable movement therewith, a lateral projection on said element below said body, said projection being movable into or out of the mar-' ginal edge 01' said bore by virtue of the pivotal movement 01 said element, and means responsive to the slidable movement of said latch element for eiiecting its pivotal movement.
12. A device of the character described comprising a body having a bore extending vertically therethrough, a plunger slidable in said bore, a pair oi jaw members pivotally connected to said plunger tor slidable movement therewith in said bore, shouldered end portions on said members below said body, said end portions being movable into or out of the marginal edge of said bore by virtue of the pivotal movement or said jaw members, and means responsive to the slidable movemovement in the other direction for eiiecting movement oi said end portions away from each other.
8. A device 01' the character described comprising a body having a bore extending vertically therethrough, a pairof jaw members slidable in said bore having shouldered end portions below said body, said end portions being laterally movable toward or away from each other, means between said jaw members normally urging said ment of said jaw members or effecting said pivotal movement.
13.. A device of the character described com-- prising a body having a'bore extending vertically therethrough formed with a straight and a tapered portion, a plunger slidablerin the straight portion of said. bore, a pair oi jaw members in wall oi the tapered portion 0! back and forth slidable movement of said members eflects said pivotal movement.
and resilient means constantly urging said members in engagement with thesaid bore whereby JOHN H. I
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2439531 *||Nov 27, 1944||Apr 13, 1948||Herman H Helbush||Sheet metal clamp|
|US2751901 *||Sep 29, 1952||Jun 26, 1956||Livermore Henry W||Vessel cover|
|US5048805 *||Jul 27, 1990||Sep 17, 1991||Avtool, Inc.||Clamp|
|US5169399 *||Oct 17, 1991||Dec 8, 1992||Boehringer Mannheim Corporation||Acetabular cup impactor|
|US5628500 *||Jun 30, 1995||May 13, 1997||Mitsubishi Denki Kabushiki Kaisha||Clamping apparatus for a coil|
|US7972095 *||Jul 10, 2007||Jul 5, 2011||Quickmill, Inc.||Clamping device|
|US8006966 *||Jun 29, 2007||Aug 30, 2011||Lg Display Co., Ltd.||Glass support pin|
|US8177204||Mar 18, 2009||May 15, 2012||Quickmill, Inc.||Clamping device|
|US8360406||Apr 24, 2012||Jan 29, 2013||Quickmill, Inc.||Clamping device|
|US20080012191 *||Jul 10, 2007||Jan 17, 2008||Quickmill Inc.||Clamping device|
|US20080159835 *||Jun 29, 2007||Jul 3, 2008||Lg Philips Lcd Co., Ltd.||Glass support pin|
|US20080209697 *||Jul 27, 2004||Sep 4, 2008||George Gustaaf Veldhoen||Fastening Device|
|US20090261519 *||Mar 18, 2009||Oct 22, 2009||Quickmill, Inc.||Clamping device|
|CN101211052B||Dec 17, 2007||Apr 10, 2013||乐金显示有限公司||玻璃支撑销|
|DE1265499B *||Jun 9, 1960||Apr 4, 1968||Superflexit||Befestigungsvorrichtung fuer einen nachgiebigen Behaelter in einem Metallkasten eines Flugzeuges|