|Publication number||US2287149 A|
|Publication date||Jun 23, 1942|
|Filing date||Dec 13, 1940|
|Priority date||Dec 13, 1940|
|Publication number||US 2287149 A, US 2287149A, US-A-2287149, US2287149 A, US2287149A|
|Original Assignee||Rudolf Tauber|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (4), Classifications (8)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
June 23, 1942. R T'AUBER 2,287,149
BOOK COVER Filed Dec. 15, 1940 INVENTOR.
EUDOLF TA USER.
147' TUBA/EL Patented June 23, 1942 I N'ITED sr'rss BOOK COVER Rudolf Tauber, New York, N. Y.
Application December 13, 1940, Serial No. 369,915
This invention relates to devices for retaining loose leaves within covers, and more particularly to books composed of a stack of grouped sections, in pad or bundle formation, arranged in predetermined relation.
In such books the paramount desires are; that the several leaves may be removed at will to be replaced by others, easily and quickly, or additional sheets inserted; that the book may be opened at any place and the several leaves of any of its sections lie truly flat and smooth, free from curling; that the book, as an entity, will have a pleasing and workmanlike appearance, resembling in all respects the products of a modern bindery.
Furthermore, the book should be simple and inexpensive to manufacture, its binder elements made of durable, non-corrosive material, arranged to safely anchor the pages and occupy otherwise waste space only.
With the foregoing essential characteristics in view, it is the object of this invention to provide a cover and binder that effectively fulfills the several requirements.
This object and other features of an analogous nature, as will later appear, are attained by the novel and practical construction of few and simple parts, together with their arrangement and in combinations, as hereinafter described and shown in the annexed drawing, constituting an essential component of this disclosure and in which:
Figure 1 is a side elevational view of a book made in accordance with the invention in closed condition.
Figure 2 is a fragmentary plan view of the book as fully opened flat, one of the binder elements being omitted.
Figure 3 is a similar View of thev same looking from the back of the book when opened.
Figure 4 is a transverse sectional view, taken on line 4-4 of Figure 2, drawn to an enlarged scale.
Figure 5 is a perspective view of one of the Between the covers are assembled sheets or pages 20 having perforations 2| in their rear margins, while the covers l5 have corresponding perforation 22, through which are passed detachable split binder rings 23.
The flanges I! are also provided with correlated perforations 24, midway of their width, which act to retain the binder elements from inclining laterally or otherwise becoming distorted and thus allow the sheets 29 to move endwise, relative to the covers, by reason of the binders being held at four spaced apart points.
While the several perforations are shown as being preferably elongated slots, the openings and cross section of the rings may be circular if desired.
From the foregoing, it will be clearly apparent that the books can be flat opened at any place among their pages without distortion or disruption; that other leaves may be readily substituted when required, and that a particularly neat appearing, durable and inexpensive means and method of binding loose leaf books has been disclosed.
Having thus described the invention in detail, together with the manner of its construction and use, What is claimed as new and sought to secure by Letters Patent, is:
1. A book cover comprising a pair of cover plates and a U shaped back strip, flexible connections uniting the lateral edges of said strip to the rear marginal edges of said plates, said cover plates each having a perforation therethrough adjacent its flexible connection and each connection having a perforation adjacent the nearest plate perforation, and a single ring fastener passing through each group of alined perforations.
2. A loose leaf book composed of a pair of cover plates, a back strip having flanges at its opposite longitudinal edges flexibly connected to said cover plates, said cover plates and flanges being perforate-d at spaced intervals, a plurality of paper sheets perforated along their rear marginal edges in register with the perforations in said cover plates and flanges, and a single flexible split ring passing through each registering set of perforations.
3. A loose leaf book composed of a pair of covers and a back of U shaped cross section flexibly connected to said covers and having a plurality of laterally adjacent slots arranged in longitudinally spaced relation, sheets slotted coincidentally with said covers and back, and a single split flexible band inserted through each alined set of slots, the Width of said bands being substantially equal to the length of said slots.
4. A loose leaf book composed of a pair of covers and a U shaped back having flexible connections with the covers, said back and adjacent portion of each cover having a plurality of registering elongated slots therethrough at spaced intervals in their length, leaf assemblies disposed between said covers, each assembly being slotted in conformity with the slots in the covers and back, and a split tubular band passing through each set of registering slots.
5. A loose leaf book composed of a pair of covers each having a plurality of longitudinal slots in their rear marginal portions, a U shaped back having slots in its sid portions in register with the slots in said covers, book papers disposed between said covers, said papers having rear marginal slots coincident with the slots in said covers and back, and a split elastic band passing through corresponding slots throughout the book the width of said band being equivalent to the length of the slots in which it is inserted.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2548618 *||Feb 18, 1946||Apr 10, 1951||Purvis Judson A||Loose-leaf binder|
|EP2524815A2 *||May 18, 2012||Nov 21, 2012||Filofax Group Limited||Binder|
|WO1988000532A1 *||Jul 9, 1987||Jan 28, 1988||Gerald D Bogar||Bookcover and binding method|
|WO2010007185A1 *||Jul 15, 2009||Jan 21, 2010||Encuaderna Conlomo Xxi S.L.||Cover for binder, binding method and use thereof|
|U.S. Classification||402/20, 402/77, 281/45, 402/75|
|International Classification||B42F13/16, B42F13/00|