|Publication number||US2431057 A|
|Publication date||Nov 18, 1947|
|Filing date||Aug 25, 1944|
|Priority date||Aug 25, 1944|
|Publication number||US 2431057 A, US 2431057A, US-A-2431057, US2431057 A, US2431057A|
|Inventors||Mainwaring John L|
|Original Assignee||Clark Mfg Company|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Patent Citations (12), Referenced by (4), Classifications (9)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Nov. 18, 1947. J. l.. MAxNwARlNG 2,431,057
BLowDowN DEVICE Filed Aug. 425, 1944 INVENTOR.
Jbhn L. Mainwaring( /s 1 ATTORNEY Patented Nov. 18, 1947 Gh 0'; a corporation of Ohio n Aiiei'imiineugt 25, 1944', sr'ii No. 551,235
provide a simple,`compat enllinexpensivle blow:Y
down unit in' wlfiih'' strainer, .a metering valve interchange@ sections` of the that they' mylb sections of the ming b'm'g'spced apart. by the leakages 21" uickl'y a'pl' inrentinvis. t0 @rm/ide icaltrsf` irl" con which? Fiegzl'isarfroht of the presen iifrom beller emmer. chamber ttfthe" tti'gA The pibe I is connected l djcent the upper end Yofthe Iblock toprovide a. .reffreeeir the ubpfeildf a .Perforated Strainer @vlinder 5 u The. block 2 also has a second count.
bor'which a, cylindrical cljanb'e'. .hv' Qg.itsfv'wv'et11- `sjpececbredietlly out-A vsn/aiclj fro'rn'f theI cyliriderhf f AThe cylinder `omis held in,plririe'tvyiaJV cap 'I which closesthe lower end Of ti'iebikgwca 'I having ,a central @vim- A driczrl projectiolr'l 8 Which ts within; thel lower end of the cylinder-N5.; 'ffhencpl isiheld inplece b'y nirisfofthrededistuds 9 lvvhch arelatttacljied to the. lower end Q'fbthe block Zwend .extend through 'openings liril the Cep 1,.r1utsill being threjdedpri the. lorv'e'ar` ends of thestuds 9*.t0 clamp the` clalp'l against stepped sealing: washers II. ir1. terpsed'betwen can] end block 2. LThe cap] is provided with al v'central bore'llvvlrich is closed by meafl's' 0f 2J thredd Plug ,I3 Whih may be. rem'o'ved for cleaning out the interior of the strainer Cvlihdn 1 ..1
ThebIQCk 2, of .rectangular c rosssection and' is. lpovi'd'eclV with 'al Vlateral I4l Aextending from` the upr'ed. f .thestrainer @hamper to. a flat side face of the at counterbore being pro-A, vided to form recess I5,` in the face ofnthe block around" the b'ore'mIz roundorice pletit which fi't's in the recess :I5 is clamped between the mainblockfZ and aj valveblock` I'I and serves es a yrepllavceable veilveseat and as -a spacer between thefbloks '2' ma .11'. The' block' l1 has transverse valve-bore. I8 lth'atvisi @lined With the bore III of th'eblock' 2 end is counterbored on the side facng'thefblck'z to provide e, recess I3 that. registers withA the recess I 5 .l and receiveswtne o ri'ce platenl. I}h e blo ck I'I isV detachably. clamped to trie block 2 by suitable screw threaded attaching members such esY stud boltsZU xed' to the block g and projecting through apertures in the valve block I1, nuts 2| on the outer ends of y the studulboltsmZ serving to clamp the valve.i
bloei;` I'I and press thesame .againstthe main A block 2.
Y The stud boltsigelso extendthrough ajvalVe bonnet 22A andfserve'to clamp the saine tothe outer sideof the valve block II. The orifice plate I6 has.. a central aperture 23` and alvalve 2.4r mounted for axial movement in the bore I8 has a conical seatingporton 25 Whichis engegeableinthe .aperture 23. The valve. 2.4.15, attaclfiedy toa valve stem Zwhich has threaded enagemelt. with; .a tubular. .Carrier 2.1. which is. .5; held in place rbytifie `valvebonnet 22. The bonnet 55 22 has a central opening to receive the carrier 21 and the carrier 21 has an enlarged head 28 that is clamped between the valve bonnet and the valve block Il, the block I7 being provided with counterbore 29 to receive the head 28.
The stem 26 projects beyond the outer end of the tubular carrier 21 and the carrier is provided with a threaded sealing cap 3@ at its outer end. The outer end of the valve stem has a handle 3! attached thereto and inwardly of the handle there is a disk 32 which is attached to the stem by means of set screw 33. The disk 32 has a scalloped periphery Sli that engages with a yieldable detent 35 attached to the under side of a scale plate 3%. The scale plate 36 is formed of spring steel, the outer end of the plate being disposed parallel to valve 26, an intermediate portion 3l being disposed at an inclination and an offset portion 33 being attached to the'carrier 27 by means of screws 39.
The valve block E'i is an elongated block and is secured to the main block 2 at right angles thereto. The valve block i1 has a longitudinal bore il that extends from one end thereof to the transverse bore i8, the outer end or" the bore Q9 being closed by means of a plug lll which may be welded in place. Bore eil forms an elongated expansion chamber in the block l1 and is provided adjacent its outer end with a lateral bore d2 and a counterbore Ils to receive an orice plate dll which provides a second spacer for the valve block il and a reduced outlet for the expansion chamber, rhe orice plate 44 is clamped between the valve block l1 and an outlet block 45. The block ll' is of rectangular cross section and has a flat face ush with the side face of the block 2, to which the valve block Il is attached. The outlet block e5 carries threaded stud bolts [at which eX- tend through the valve block il on opposite sides of the bore di) and have nuts ll'l on their outer ends by which the blocks Il and d5 are clamped together and by which clamping pressure is applied to the plate de. The block t5 has a transverse bore e8 that is alined with the outlet bore 42 of the valve block and has a counterbore 59 to receive the orifice plate M. Block 45 is provided with a lateral threaded bore 5l! extending to the ytransverse bore 38, and a suitable discharge pipe 5i may be screwed into the bore 5i).
The orifice plate le and le are of a thickness sufcient to space the valve block l? from the blocks 2 and 5 so that the pressure exerted upon either of the orifice plates may be increased to stop a leak by means of the clamping bolts. Suitable sealing washers 52 and 53 are interposed between the opposite faces of the orice plate IS and the recesses in which it is mounted. The enlarged head 28 of the valve carrier 21? is of a thickness to space the bonnet 22 from the valve block il and a suitable sealing washer 5e is interposed between the head 28 and the recess in the block I1 in which it is mounted. Washers 55 and 56 are interposed between the opposite faces of the orice plate lll and recesses in which it is mounted. Any leakage which may develop around any of the sealing washers 52, 53, 5d, 55 or 55 will be readily apparent and can be quickly and easily stopped by tightening nuts 2l or Il? to put additional pressure on the sealing washers. The pressure on the oriiice plate it can be increased to stop a leak by means of the nuts 2l and additional pressure may be imposed upon the plate [it by means of the nuts il?. Also the valve is held in place by the nuts 2l and may be removed without disconnecting the blocks.
The outer end of the transverse bore i8 of the outlet block d5 is closed by means of a threaded plug 5l which may be removed to permit cleaning of the passage through the block l5 and the orice in the plate e4.
A pressure gauge 58 is connected to the expansion chamber @lil by means of a pipe 59 and plate 36 is provided with a scale which serves to indicate the position of the valve 2li with respect to the orifice plate i5. By means of the pressure gauge and adjustment indicator, accurate regulation of the rate 0i discharge of the liquid through the blowdown unit may be obtained.
The blowdown unit of the present invention can be quickly assembled by placing the valve block against the body of the unit with the orice plates i6 and 44 in place, and then applying the nuts 2i and 41 to the outer ends of the studs 20 and 46. The orice plates I6 and ll can be replaced with plates having orices of diierent sizes when desired, and an ordinary wrench only is required for assembling the unit.
It is to be understood that variations and modifications of the specic device herein shown and described for purposes of illustration, may be made without departing from the spirit of the invention.
, What I claim is:
1. A blowdown unit comprising a main block having a iiat sideface, a strainer chamber, an inlet to the chamber and a lateral outlet from said chamber to said side face, an outletblockprovided with a side face alongside the said side face of the main block and having a discharge passage spaced laterally from said outlet, and opening to said side face of the outlet block, a valve block having an elongated expansion chamber provided with lateral inletland outlet openings, adapted to aline with said outlet and said discharge passage, independent screw threaded means for detachably clamping said valveblock to the main block and to the outlet block, an orice plate clamped between the valve block and outlet block for regulating flow into said discharge passage and a valve carried by said valve block for controlling flow from the strainer chamber into the pressure chamber.
2. A blowdown unit comprising a main block and an outlet block having iiat side faces disposed one alongside the other and each provided with a recess, a strainer chamber in the main block having an inlet and an outlet to the recess in the side face of the block, said outlet block having a discharge passage opening to the recess in its side face, a valve block having a side face provided with recesses registering with the said recesses and an expansion chamber having an opening to each recess, independent screw threaded means for clamping the valve block to each of the other blocks, a plate detachably clamped in each pair of registering recesses and provided with openings controlling flow into and out of the expansion chamber, and a valve mounted in the valve block adjustable with respect to the flow controlling opening in the plate clamped to the main block to regulate the flow from the strainer chamber into the expansion chamber.
3. A blowdown unit comprising a main block and an outlet block disposed side by side having flat side faces substantially ilush one with the other and each provided with a recess, a strainer chamber in the main block having an inlet and an outlet to the recess in the side face of the block, the outlet block having a discharge passage opening to the other of said recesses, a series of threaded studs attached to said main and outlet blocks 5 and projecting from the flat faces thereof, a valve block having openings to receive said studs, recesses registering with the recesses of the main and outlet blocks and an expansion chamber having openings to the valve block recesses, apertured plates iitting in said recesses and spacing said blocks apart, nuts on said studs for detachably clamping the valve block and plates to said main and outlet blocks, and a valve mounted in the Valve block for regulating the iiow from the strainer chamber into said expansible chamber.
4. A blowdown unit comprising a main block and an inlet block disposed side by side and having iiat side faces substantially flush one with the other, the main block having a strainer chamber provided with an inlet and an opening to the flat side face thereof, the outlet block having a discharge passage laterally of said chamber opening to its flat side face, said side faces having recesses around the said opening and passage, a valve block having an expansion chamber and inlet and outlet openings registering with said opening and passage, orice plates fitting in said recesses and spacing said valve block from said main and inlet blocks, sealing washers interposed between said orice plates and the blocks, and stud bolts carried by said main and outlet blocks and extending through the valve block for securing said main and outlet blocks independently to said valve block and for independently clamping said orifice plates.
5. A blowdown unit comprising a main block and an inlet block disposed side by side and having at side faces substantially flush one with the other, the main block having a strainer chamber provided with an inlet and an opening to the at side face thereof, the block having a discharge passage laterally of said chamber opening to its nat side face, said side faces having recesses around the said opening and passage, a valve block having an expansion chamber and inlet and outlet openings registering with the outlet open- 5 ing and passage of the main and outlet blocks,
said valve block having an opening alined with its inlet opening, a Valve carrier mounted in said opening, a Valve bonnet for securing said carrier in place, a valve mounted in said carrier and mov- 10 able toward and away from the inlet to said expansion chamber, and means for securing said valve block to said main block comprising bolts extending through said valve block and valve bonnet and other bolts independently connecting the valve body to said outlet block,
JOHN L. MAINWARING.
REFERENCES CITED The following references are of record in the file of this patent:
UNITED STATES PATENTS
|Cited Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US942995 *||Dec 14, 1909||Frederick C Bargar||Pressure-controlling valve for automobile-lamps.|
|US963842 *||Dec 24, 1908||Jul 12, 1910||Charles Henry Howe||Valve and cock.|
|US1573786 *||Apr 18, 1924||Feb 16, 1926||Pieper Alphonse F||Valve|
|US1746055 *||Apr 18, 1928||Feb 4, 1930||Roberts Glen||Valve|
|US1825378 *||May 27, 1926||Sep 29, 1931||Standard Oil Co||Valve|
|US2061852 *||Jun 12, 1935||Nov 24, 1936||Schweitzer Frank J||Flow bean valve|
|US2225838 *||Jan 28, 1939||Dec 24, 1940||Thomas N Hunt||Valve|
|US2313149 *||Jul 20, 1940||Mar 9, 1943||Altitude controlled pressure|
|US2324389 *||Mar 17, 1941||Jul 13, 1943||Air Reduction||Portable oxygen aviation unit|
|CH202038A *||Title not available|
|FR821893A *||Title not available|
|GB187102285A *||Title not available|
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2654395 *||Feb 20, 1948||Oct 6, 1953||Kaye & Macdonald Inc||Valve for continuous boiler blowdown|
|US2828889 *||Nov 1, 1954||Apr 1, 1958||Practical Products Company||Beverage vending machine|
|US3735874 *||Aug 11, 1971||May 29, 1973||Mueller Steam Spec Div Of Sos||Valve and filter assembly|
|US5226602 *||May 22, 1991||Jul 13, 1993||The Toro Company||Adjustable radius sprinkler nozzle|
|U.S. Classification||210/432, 137/556, 251/116, 210/85, 138/44|
|International Classification||F22B37/54, F22B37/00|