US 2439827 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
April 20, 1948. N. STERENBUCH ETAI.
Filed March 12, 1946 llllll'l INVENTORS.
MAIN/N S/JFFEQ BYNATHAN STERENBUCH A TTOR/VE7 Patented Apr. 20, 1948 Nathan Stoirenbuch, New
York, und Martin mm, Glendah N y Aumm mm. 12, 194a. sann ms. sss927 vom. (o1. 175- 1) (Gripizt'eilundfl the m o! March ne April 30,1928; 370 o.
'I'his inventioxi relate a. coi1 und more particularly to a magnetizix ageoil that Is dlvlded and hinged und is otthe 'typeus'ed in the Magnaflux" or, IMagxiaglof meth ds of detecting flaws in metals.
By these methods, mets.l objects are coated with patticles having ma8netie propeflfles either in powder form or suspended ina liquid und the objects subsequentiy magnetized. the pattems 01 the particles indicating the presence 01 flaws in the materlal.
Heretofore, a solid type cfl was used to magnetize the artlcles to be tested, this txrpe coil alten causing greafi inconvenience when the ob- Jects to be testedwere o! large slze an'd not inovable readily. The split-type coi1 herein disclosed may be used re'adily oh any size-object without the necessity 01 the object be1ng reim'o ved from 1ts supports.
The object o1 this invehtionisizo provide a cofl for magnetlzing objectsywhich coil i.'s of a separable con'struction, can be plaeed about the object slmpiy and e1rpeditiously, .nd ca.n be used wlthout moving the object from itespports.
Further objects and advantages 01 this Inven- 3, 1883, as G. 757) a coil I1, each 013 the convolutions o1 the coi1 I'I belng interrupted by a plug I! and Jack I8 eo bination. The ends 01' the coi1 I1 protrude through the Irame I II a.nd terminate in lugs 22, which are adaPted to receive eonnectors from an electrical source. Trunk-type latches 20 are provided for each pair o! frame sections II t lock them together.
In the operatlon of the device, the latches 20 are opened, the frame sectlons I I are swung apart about their hinges and the device 1s placed about the ohject to bemagnetized. The frame sections II are then swung I:ogether and locked by means 01' latches 20. The electrical terminals are connected to the lugs 22 on the ends of coil I! and the object 1s thereupon magnetized for the testlng operation. The device may be s1id along the object to be tested to magnetize various portions thereo1' or removed readily ana placed about tion, as weil es the arrangement und operatidn,
will be appareni: from the following description und claims in connection with the accompanxdns drawings, in which F13. 1 is a i'ront netizing 0011 F18. 2 is a side tizing coll; and
Flg. 3 is a freut eleVational view o1. the jgckiand plug connectors.
Front und rear circuiar frames an: deslgnated by the numeral III. Frames III aredividedinto semicircular halves or sections II a. l ong the vertical diametric plane, as viewed in Fig. 1. Base elevational view of the mgelevational view 01 IsI1emasnemembers I2 are provided at the bottpxii Ij f euch y The upper pqrtioris of 01' the frame sections II.
- tween 8:!iid frames below v core, a helically wouxiqcoll m said core, plugs in each pair o1 1'rame sections' I I;gre conneetd by g hinge 3II attached toishe framesectidnsflLby means 01' screws 3I. coaxia.l therewith is a. tubular core]! d1viqled into two sections I4 a.long the same dianiet'riig. which'divides the frames III. core sectlo nS I4 are attached to irame sections II mann :r. Extending between fraineset:tioris' III und directly below' tubular seetion'sj-I! areblocks I5 und I6 secured means o1 screws 2I.
ceted complementary plus I9. Helically wound about the t'ubuiar eure 'I-3 1s,
Between the 1'raxhes III-311d plane in am; suitable bi1larcore between other objects to be tested.
II; Is understood that various modifications and changes may be made in this invention without departing from the spirit and scope thereof as Set forth in the appended claims.
The invention described herein may be manufactured and used by or for the GOVernment of the United Staates 015 America for governmental purposes without the payment of any royalties thereon or therefor.
1. A coil comprising a. first; generally circular fra.me, a second generally clrcular frame, said frames -having semicircular components, hinges connecting the said components of ea.ch circular framea generally tubu1ar core between said frames, seid core belng divided into equal parts and'extending betweensaid frames. blocks bethe parts 01' said tu-bular one of said blocksfja.cks on the other 01 said blocks, each er the eonvolutions of said coil being severed the severed;en ds 01 euch o! said couvo l1itions terminating in one 01 seid Jacks und p lug's iand the end's ot seid coi1 protruding through seid fra.mes;-
: 2. A cofl comprlsirig a gianeraly circula r freut frame, a.nd a. generally circular rear frame, each of seid frames comprising two generally semiclreular parts and being dlvided along the same dia- -rxietrigiplane the uppq pofl=ions 012 euch pair of semic1rcular parts seid f rames, said core having 1 twd partsund belng' divid ed in the same diametrir; plane es said Irames, blocks between said blocks being located below hinged together, a tuw seid core and be1ng a.djacent m each other, a series of p1ugs in one cf seid blocks, a series cf jacks in the other cf said b1ccks, a helically wound coil about said. core, each of be convolutions of seid 0011 being interruped. =by plug am1 jack the ends cf said 0011 marotruding through 881d frames, a.nd means bo 1ock saic1 fmmes together.
3. A coi1 comprlsing a, pair of 'b1furcated frames, a hinge linking the components cf each frame proximate an end. cf auch bifurcation, a core mounted between said frames, said core comprising components secured 120 corresponding components cf each cf said frames, a p1u=- rality 013 p1ugs mounted between corresponding components of said frames opposlce sa!d hinges a plurality of jacks secured to the other corresponding components of ea.ch cf said frames and adapted. to be insertecl in corresponding plugs, a plurality of co11s wound on said core, each coi1 terminating in one 01 sa1d plugs and one of sa1d j'acks 120 form a he1ix, and means to connect the ends o1 said he1ix to an electrical circuit.
4. A coi1 comprising a pair of bifurcated frames, a. hinge linking the components cf each frame proximate an end of such bifurcation, a core mounted bctween said frames, said core comprlsing components secured. to corresponding components of each of said. frames, a plurallty of p1ugs mounted between corresponding components of said frames opposite sa1d hinges, a plurality of Jacks secured 120 the othex corresponding components cf each of said frames and adapted 130 be inserted in corresponding plugs, a plurality of coi1s wound. n said core, each coil terminating in one of said p1ugs anci one cf said jacks 110 form a, helix, means to connect the ends 013 said he1ix to an e1ectrical circuit, and means to lock together the components of said; frames.
5. A coi1 comprising a pair of bifurcated frames, means to link togeher the components of ea.ch frame proximate an. end cf such b1furcation for relative rotation, a generally tubular core mounted between said frames, said core comprislng a pair cf semi-cylindrical compunents secured to corresponding components of each of sa1d frames, a. first block secured. 120 corresponding components 01' each of said frames opposite said hinges and carrying a plurality of plugs, a s econd block secured to the other corresponding components of each of said frames and carrying a. plurallty of jacks adapted to be inse1ted in corresponding p1ugs, a plurality cf coi1s wound on said core. each. 0011 terminatfilg in one 02 sald p1ugs am3l one o2 scid jacks to iorm a helix, and meam iao coect the ends of sald halb; to an electricsl circuit 6. A coil compflsing a, wir of biiurcated frames means to link together the compcnents of each frame proximate an end of auch bifurca.tlon for relative rocatlon, a, 'generally tubular core mounced between said irames. saic1 core comprising a pai r of semi-cylindrical compunents secured to corresponding components of eachof sa1d fraxnes, a first block secured to corresponding componets cf each oi' said frames opposite sa1d hinges and carrying a plurallty o1 plugs, a, second block secured i;o the other corresponding components cf each 053 sa1d frames and carrying a pluraliisy cf Jacks adapted to be inserted in corresponding p1ugs, a plurallty of coils wound. on sa1d core, each co11 terminatlng in one of said p1ugs and one of seid. jacks to form a helix, means connect the ends cf said helix to an e1ectrical circuit, and means so 1ock together the components of said irames.
7. A 0011 comprising a pair cf bifurcated frames, means to 1ink together the components of each frame proximate an end. of such bifurcation'for relative rotatlon, a generally tubu1ar core mounted between said. frames, said core comprislng a pair of semi-cylindrical compunents secured 120 corresponding components cf each cf sa1d frames, a .fi1st block secured to corresponding components cf eachof said. frames opposite said hinges and carrying a plurality of plugs, a second block secured to the other corresponding components cf ea.ch o1" said frames and. carrying a. plurality of jacks adapted to be inserted in corresponding p1ugs, a plurality of coils wound on saidl core, each coi]. terminaaing in one cf sa1d p1ugs and one of said jacks to form a helix, and means extending through said frames adapted to connect the ends cf said helix to an electrical circuit.
' NATI-IAN STERENBUCH.
'Ihe following references are of record in the file of this patent;