US 2616367 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
A. SPRUNG COATING DEVICE Nov. 4, 1952 2 SHEETS-SHEET 1 Filed April 4, 1952 INVENTOR Nov. 4, 1952 A; SPRUNG 2,616,367
COATING DEVICE Filed April 4, 1952 2 SHEETS-SHEET 2 IN VEN TOR.
Patented Nov. 4, 1952 UNITED STATES TENT OFFICE 2,616,367 COATING DEVICE Abraham Sprung, Brooklyn, N. Y.
Application April 4, 1952, Serial No. 280,553
applying designs to such surfaces by the use of paint or other coloring material which be applied as desired to walls, ceilings,- cloth or other material.
The main purpose of bhfi invention is to providea rigid structure of the type set forth in which the coating-roll is carried'by a removable bracket, the bracket being so constructed and arranged as to be interchangeable for use with applicator rolls having handle structures ofmodified designs.
A further object of the invention is to provide a bracket for supporting a coating roll-in which the coating roll is capable of adjustment along its own axis, adjustable angularly with reference to its longitudinal axisand further adjustable for the purpose ofvarying the pressure between the applicator roll and the coating roll.
Other features of the invention will more clearly hereinafter appear by reference to the accompanying drawings-forming a part ofthe application inwhich like characters ofreference designate corresponding parts throughout the several views, in which:
Fig. 1. is. a side elevation with partsbroken away in section showing the invention-assembled With one type of applicator roll;
Fig. 2 is an end elevation oithe main bracket element;
Fig. 3 is. a longitudinal section through the bracket of Fig. 2 showinma portion ofthe hub handle in .position; v
Fig. 4 is a view showing thebracketparts dissembled;
Fig. 5 shows. the coating rollbracket applied for use with a modified form of applicator roll handle structure;
Fig. 6 isan end elevationoi the structureof- Fig. 5;,
Fig. '7 is a longitudinal section through the I bracket structure and illustrates a portion of thehandle in position in the. bracket opening; and
Fig.8 is aperspectiveviewof a. wrenchused in the structure.
contact by the coating roll B and app ied to 2.
ing es... Th applicator roll Ais pr0vided with means for manually utilizing th same, this. means including a handle l having a shank structure connected thereto by any suitable means as shown at 2, the shank structure being bent at right angles immediately adjacent its connection with the handle I as shown at 3, and projecting laterally as at d to a point beyond theend of the applicator roll A where it is again oentatsubstantially right angle for a distance to provide a portion 5 of such a length as to provide clearance between the applicator roll A and the lateral shank portion l. The end'of. the shank portion 5 terminates in an elongated inwardly proiecting hub 6, the axis of which is substantially. parallel to the horizontal. shank portion 4 of the. handle structure, this hub 8 being adaptedto be contained Within a cylindrical opening formed in the main element of the bracket attachment as will be more fully hereinafter described- The structure of the handle in that form of the invention shown in Fig. 1 includes an inwardly projecting rib i which is shown to extend throughout the length of the shank handle and to terminate at the hub 6 in an arcuate inwardly projecting portion 8, as shown more. clearly in Fig. 3. The rib l adds substantially to the rigidity of the shank structure but could extend only throughout the portion 5 of the shank and at the hub ii, in which area it cooperates with the coating roll attaching bracket. It'is intended that the length of the hub 6 will be such as to abut the end wall 9 of the. applicator roll and position this roll on its supporting pin it, properlyand the end of the pin is clamped against axial displacement by the nut l2 which can be fixed against rotation by a superimposed lock nut structure M.
The foregoing structure prov-ides an'applicator roll having a handle medially positioned with respect to its length, with the shank of the handle offset and providing a hub structure in which the supporting pin for the applicator roll is mounted against longitudinal displacement. The
main inventive concept is the use'of'the'bracket element 15, shown in'perspective view--in- Fig; 4:
This bracket structure includes a tubular body I! having at its outer end an upwardly projecting plate extension l8 terminating in a tubular extremity l9, the opening in the tubular extremity l9 having its axis normally parallel to the axis of the supporting pin I of the applicator roll. The length of the plate extension I8 is such as to position the tubular extremity l9 at such a distance from the tubular body I! that the coating roll B carried thereby will be properly spaced from the applicator roll A as will be obvious from an inspection of the drawing.
A depending projection 20 extends from the outer lower portion of the body I! and is provided with an internal, outwardly facing slot having an arcuate portion 2| and a substantially straight portion 22 for the purpose of receiving and confining the arcuate or upper portion 8 of the rib 1 of the upper portion of shank 5, and the portion of the rib immediately joining the arcuate portion thereof. The purpose of this recess 2|--22 in the body I! of the bracket member is to suitably embrace and snugly receive the shank rib and thereby retain the bracket against rotational movement about its axis, which latter axis is formed by the hub 6 at the upper end of the shank'S. The hub 6 extends into and through the tubular body I! of the bracket and these parts are further secured by means of the screw or bolt 23 which may be seated by a wrench such as shown in Fig. 8. By the structure set forth the main bracket structure is secured about the hub 6 against rotational movement on its own axis as well as against longitudinal movement on the hub, and the coating roll B which is supported by the extremity of the bracket structure and by the hub portion l9 at the end thereof will .be firmly fixed in position and readily removed when desired.
The coating roll B has its outer surface provided with suitable configurations 25 and is of tubular form with its interior formed with spiral ribs 26 for convenient positioning on the cylindrical core block 21 which is contained in the coating r011 structure. A bolt 28 extends through the core 21 with the bolt head 29 received in the socketed end of the core and with its free end projecting through the opening in the hub extremity IQ of the main bracket. The opening 30 at the end of the bracket is elongated vertically to permit vertical adjustment of the coating roll B and its supporting structure, and this coating roll B is secured in position by a clamp provided by the spaced nuts 3| and 32. The nuts 3| and 32 are threaded on the threads of the free end of the bolt 28 and are adjustable therealong to position the coating roll B axially and with respect to the applicator roll A. The outer nut 32 clamps the hub extremity |9 against the inner nut 3| and a wedge washer 33 is provided between the inner nut 3| and the adjacent face of the hub extremity I9 to vary the pitch of the coating roll B and its carrying pin or bolt 28 where this is necessary due to deformation of the applicator roll A through use, accident or otherwise, and in order that the rolls may at all times have their axes parallel so that the transfer of the coating material will be constant throughout.
In Figs. 5, 6 and 7 a modified form of shank is illustrated. In this disclosure the same bracket is utilized with the same type of applicator roll A and coating roll B. For this reason the same reference characters are applied to the bracket in the modification to indicate the various parts.
In the structure of the modification the shank is formed of a one piece rod which has the portion 40 connected to a handle such as handle I of Fig. 1. The shank of the rod 40 is ben at right angle as at 4| to provide the ofiset vertically extending portion 42 by the second right angle bend 43 formed laterally of the applicator roll A. The end of the shank 42 is bent laterally at 43 and a distance approxima i the length of the tubular portion I! of the bracket as shown at 44, the portion of the rod forming the lateral bend as at 45 being arcuate and the curve approximating the arc of the recess 2| of the bracket. The rod portion 44 is bent upon itself as at 45 and extends inwardly as at 46 to provide a supporting pin for supporting the applicator roll. The means of fastening the applicator roll on the pin extension 46 forms no part of the invention but normally this pin will be provided with screw threads 41 and nut 48 in the usua1 manner as indicated generally in Fig. 7 to permit the clamping of the applicator roll A on its length in suitably adjusted position.
In use of the form of the invention shown in Figs. 5 through 7, as clearly shown, the main bracket element assumes a position the reverse from its position in the disclosure of Fig. 1 in that the flat elongated wall portion faces inwardly to position the arcuate slot 2| in a position to receive the arcuate portion 43 of the shank or handle. It will be obvious to one skilled in the art that the rod structure from which the modified form is to be made must be of a diameter that when it is bent upon itself for reception within the attaching bracket, it will comprehend a thickness no greater than the opening in the cylindrical portion II of the bracket and when so positioned it will be secured in place by set screw 49 or other suitable fastening as in the previous disclosure. Obviously, rotational movement of the bracket in the modified form is prevented by the reception of the portions of the shank 42 and 43 in corresponding portions of the recess 2| and 22 of the bracket. This form of the invention is obviously one which can be made very easily and cheaply, .but is convertible for use with an applicator roll by the utilization of the structure or the present invention.
In the modification shown in Figs. 5 through 7, the flattened area 43 which is received in the arcuate recess 2| in the bracket should be of a cross sectional diameter approximately identical with the rib portions 1 and 8, as these portions are designed'to be associated with an interchangeable bracket. The exact measurements of the parts may be modified in different models of the same general form, as long as the associated elements comprehend interchangeability.
What I claim is:
1. In combination, a coating device including a roll, a handle, and a connecting shank structure, said connecting shank structure including an oifset portion lying laterally of the roll, and a mounting pin for the roll connected to the end portion of the ofiset portion, said shank at its junction with the pin including an arcuate laterally projecting portion, a bracket having a cylindrical body portion for receiving an end portion of the pin, and an arcuate recess for receiving said arcuate projecting portion, means for clamping the bracket in position embracing said pin and arcuate portion, and a mounting at the end of the bracket for a coating roll, said mounting being supported at the end of the bracket for angular and transverse adjustment.
2. The structure of claim 1 characterized in that the bracket includes a cylindrical body portion and two projecting portions extending laterally from one end of said cylindrical body portion, one of the projecting portions carrying an inwardly projecting hub and the other projecting portion including an arcuate slot.
3. The structure of claim 1 characterized in that the mounting at the end of the bracket for the coating roll includes an inwardly projecting hub having its axis lying parallel to the axis of the cylindrical body.
4. The structure of claim 1 characterized in that the mounting for the coating roll includes means for providing transverse and lateral adjustment of the roll, and additional means for providing for angular adjustment of the roll with respect to the cylindrical body portion.
5. The structure of claim 1 characterized in that the cylindrical body portion of the bracket is provided with a Web-like extension which includes an arcuate slot terminating in a relatively straight slot portion which receives similarly shaped web-portions projecting from the shank.
6. The structure of claim 1 characterized in that the shank is formed from a single piece of metal rod which is bent to provide an offset portion terminating in a roll supporting shaft, the junction of the shaft with its main shank portion including an arcuate section to be received in the arcuate recess of the bracket.
7. The structure of claim 1 characterized in that additional means are provided for securing the bracket against rotational and axial displacement with respect to the cooperating shank portion.
8. In combination, a coating device including an applicator roll, a handle, a connecting shank structure, said shank structure including an offset portion lying laterally of said roll, and a mounting pin for the roll connected to the endportion of the offset portion, said shank at its junction with the pin including a laterally projecting wall, a bracket having a cylindrical body portion for receiving an end portion of the pin, and a recess for receiving said laterally projecting wall to embrace the same to prevent rotational movement of said bracket, means for clamping the bracket into position embracing said wall, and a mounting at the end of the bracket for a coating roll, said mounting being supported at the end of said roll for adjustment with respect to the applicator roll.
9. The structure of claim 8 characterized in that the end of the offset portion includes an inwardly projecting hub and the projecting wall portion connects the hub and the offset portion of the shank.
10. In combination, a coating device including an applicator roll, a handle, a connecting shank structure, said shank structure including an offset portion lying laterally of said roll, said offset portion terminating in an elongatedv hub structure, a web connecting the hub structure and the offset portion of the shank, and a bracket for supporting a coating roll, said bracket including a cylindrical portion for enclosing said hub, a projecting portion having a recess for receiving said web, and a second projecting portion terminating in a hub structure for adjustably receiving the supporting pin of said coating roll.
No references cited.