US 2661517 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
J. RYFINDLEY 2,661,517
CONCRETE FORM y 2 Sheets-Sheet l Dec. 8, 1953 Filed June 29, 1951 INVENTOR.
IWW MLM e 'I a4 I 60 4 Jack Rue Find/ey Dec. 8, 1953 2 Sheets-Sheet 2 Filed June 29, 1951 vl m ...M w .H M w INVENTOR.
Patented Dec. 8, 19563 UNITED STATES PATENT OFFIC CONCRETE FORM .Jack Rue Findley, Bellflower, Calif. Application Julie 29, 1951, serial No. 234,298v
yThis inventionrelates to new' anduseful-improvements` in concrete formsand vtheV primary object of the present invention is to provide a `vr`ooncrete'form including a pair of slidably .con-
in Weight to facilitate convenient carrying thereof and which is quickly and readily adjusted in length for various types of work,
A stillfurthervaim of the present inventionl is to provide a concrete form that is simple and practical in construction, strongl and reliable'in use, efficient and durable in operation, inexpensive to manufacture, convenient to install, and otherwise well adapted for the purposes for which the same is intended.A 1
Other objects and advantages reside"l inv the ldetails of construction and operation-as 'more fully hereinafter described and claimed,l reference being had to the accompanyingdrawings forming part hereof, wherein like numerals 'refer to like parts throughout, and in which:
Figure 1 is a front elevational view of one embodiment of the present form; Figure 2 is a plan view of Figure l; Figure 3 is a transverse vertical sectional view ofthe form in use;
l with upper flanges 22 and 24, and lower flanges Figure 4 is an enlarged horizontal sectional view taken substantially on the plane of section line 4-4 of Figure 3 but showing the waler strip and side memberindotted lines; Y
Figure 5 is a vtransverse vertical sectional view of another embodiment of thepresent invention 1n use;
Figure 6 is a perspective view of the outer section. of the side membershown in Figure 5; and,
26 and 28 having offsets 30 and 32. The channel sections I8 and 28 are also provided with upper anges 34 and 36, and lower flanges 38 and 46 having offsets 42 and 44.
The channel shaped sections I4 and I6 are slidably telescoped in the channel shaped sections I8 and 20, and the sections of member I6' are disposed in back to back, spaced relationship to the sections of the member I2. The flanges 34, 36 and the portions 42, 44 of flanges 38, 48 are formed with longitudinally spaced u slots Sl for selectively registering with longitudinally spaced apertures A Yin.thesiianges 22, 24 and the portions 36,-, 32 of flanges 26, 28;V x Vertical 4rods.46 extend .through certain of the slots S and the apertures A in registry Vwith .these slots. The lower vendsz'ofthe'rods 46 extend well below the anges1`3848ito penetrate `the `ground. and hold the members SII] and l2 spaced parallel to eachother 'and against sliding movement. The rods 46: extending through the member,v I8 are connected to the'rods k46 extendingV through the member I2 byconnector wires 48. having ter.. minal eyes 50 that fitlover the upper ends ofthe Means `is provided., for. clamping waler strips -W against the sectionsnl4, I6, I8 and.28.;;.This
. The outer` edges ofthe flanges 722,724, 34' and 36 are turned vdown and the outeredgesiof .the flange portions 38,32, 42 and v44 are turnedfupwardly. Theidownturned edges of the-fianges Figure 'IV isa perspective view. of thecinner sec-l 34 and 36 are""conne'ctedi to the upturned edges of "the" 'flanges'4'2 .and Y44..:by vertical Areinforcing arid? strengtheningstraps 6I)A that are welded to the outer faces of these bent edges. 'Iheclownturned edges of the flanges 22 and 24 are connected to the upturned edges of the flanges 30 and 32 by vertical reinforcing and strengthening straps 62 whose ends are welded to the inner faces of these turned edges.
In practical use of the form shown in Figures 1 4 inclusive, the members I8 and I2 are retained spaced parallel to each other by the rods 46 and Vcams 58'. W and the' cams 58' will ride against the strip moval of the form members |0 and I2 after the r concrete has hardened.
Reference is now directed to Figures 5l 1li-land? wherein there is illustrated the present concrete form in slightly different construction. u*In-this embodiment the side member is designated by the numeral |00 and comprises inner and'outer channel spaced sections |02 and |04 with-themner section |02 telescoped Within the outer section |04.
lThe section |02 includes upper and lower flanges |06 and |08 and the section |04' includes upper and lower flanges H and ||2 The outer "edge of the flange |06 s turned downwardly and the outer edge of thel flange |08 .is burned upwardly, and these turned edges are joined by vertical reinforcing and strengthening straps I4 ywhose ends are welded behind the turned edges.
The outer edge of the flange llt is turned down- "wardly and the outer edee of the flange i L2 is turned'upwardly and these turned edges are `joined 'by vertical straps IIB whose ends are welded to the outer faces of these turned edges.
The flanges |10 and |12 lare formed with longitudinally spaced slots S for selectively registering with longitudinally spaced apertures A in the flanges |06 and |08.
The rods 46 are extended through certain slots S and the apertures A' in registry therewith to longitudinally adjust the sections |02 and |04 relative to each other. Collars 52' 'are adjustable vertically on the rods 46 by set screwsV 54 and the sleeves carry horizontal arms 56' and vertical The arms 56 support a waler strip W to force the strip W against the sections |02 and llM'whenl the rods 46 are rotated by 'hand grips G' at the upper ends of the rods 46'.
Theform |00 is shown in use in Figure 5 wherein the poured concrete C engages the vertical walls of the sections |04 and |06.
Having described the invention, what is claimed as new is:
1. A concrete form comprising a side member composed of telescoped inner and outer channel shaped sections, each of said sections having upper and lower flanges, the flanges of one section having longitudinally spaced slots therein and the flanges of the other section having longitudinally spaced apertures therein for selectively registering with the slots, means extending through selected slots and apertures to maintain the e sections adjusted longitudinally of each other, and cam means carried by said first named means for clampingl a waler strip `.against -the sections.
2. The combination of claim l wherein the first named means comprises a plurality of vertical rods having lower ends extending below the lower flanges of said sections to penetrate the ground and hold the member against movement.
3. A concrete form comprising a side member composed of telescoped inner and outer channel shaped sections, each of said sections having `upper'and lower flanges, the flanges of one section having longitudinally spaced slots therein and the flanges of the other section having longitudinally spaced apertures therein for selectively registering with the slots, means extending through selected slots and apertures to maintain rthe rsections adjusted longitudinally of each other, `,said means comprising a plurality of manually"rotata`ble vertical rods having lower .ends'extending below the lower flanges of said sections to penetrate the ground, horizontal arms vertically adjustably mounted on the rods, a waler Strip Supported 0n the arms, and vertical cams on said arms VYfor camming against the waler strip as the Vrods are rotated toforcethe waler strip against-the sections.
4. AV concrete for-m comprising apair of parallel Side members, each of said side members including a pair of inner and outer'telescoped channel shaped sections, said sections eachhaving upper and lower flanges, the sections of one member being disposed in back to back relationship to the sections of theother member, .the flanges of each outer section havingV a plurality ofl longitudinally spaced slots, the flanges of each inner-section having a. plurality of longitudinally spaced apertures therein for selectively registering with said slots, manually rotatable vertical rods extendingthrough selected slots and the apertures in registry with the selected slots to --maintain the inner. and outer sectionsof each member adjusted-longitudinally of' each other,
and means carried by said rods for clamping -waler-,strips against the sections.
5. The combination of claim -4Vwherein said means comprises a horizontal -waler strip. sup- .rpcrting arm Ycarried by each rod andavertical cam on-each-arm for camming against a waler sections of 4one member Vtothe rods extending through the sections of the-other member.
JACK RUE ENDI-EY.
References cited intheeie of this. patent LvNumber `Name* 'Date- 995,630 Naugle June 20, 1911 k1,408,246 nerr Febiza, 1922 1,939,007 jI-Ieltzel Dec. l2, 1933 Y2,127,562 Jennings -'Aug'.f23, 1938 FQRElGN PATENTS i' Number Country Date l 516,010 GreatBritain- Dec. 20. 1939