|Publication number||US2774970 A|
|Publication date||Dec 25, 1956|
|Filing date||Dec 20, 1954|
|Priority date||Dec 20, 1954|
|Publication number||US 2774970 A, US 2774970A, US-A-2774970, US2774970 A, US2774970A|
|Inventors||Du Bois Rudolf|
|Original Assignee||Du Bois Rudolf|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Patent Citations (5), Referenced by (30), Classifications (4)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Dec. 25, 1956 R. DU BOIS FACE SHIELD Filed Dec. 20, 1954 RUdO/f 0030/5 INVENTOR.
- 9 BY MW FM United States Patent 2,774,970 FACE SHIELD Rudolf Du Bois, Alliance, N. J. Application December 20, 1954, Serial No. 476,331 4 Claims. (Cl. 2-9) The present invention relates to new and useful improvements in face shields for various purposes and has for its primary object to provide, in a device of this character of the type comprising a supporting frame and a protective sheet, novel means for removably securing said sheet in position on said frame.
Other objects of the invention are to provide a face shield of the aforementioned character which will be comparatively simple in construction, durable, compact, of light weight, attractive in appearance and which may be manufactured at low cost.
All of the foregoing and still further objects and advantages of the invention will become apparent from a study of the following specification, taken in connection with the accompanying drawing, wherein like characters of reference designate corresponding parts throughout the several views, and wherein:
Figure 1 is a perspective view of a face shield constructed in accordance with the present invention;
Figure 2 is a view in horizontal section, taken substantially on the line 22 of Figure 1;
Figure 3 is an enlarged fragmentary horizontal sectional view through an end portion of the device; and
Figure 4 is a view in horizontal section showing a slight modification.
Referring now to the drawing in detail, it will be seen that reference character 5 designates generally an open frame of plastic or other suitable material. The frame 5 includes an arcuate bar 6 comprising a downwardly or reversely bowed intermediate portion 7 having formed integrally therewith depending nose pieces 8. Temples 9 are pivotally mounted on the rear of the end portions of the bar 6, as at 10.
Formed integrally with the end portions of the bar 6 and projecting forwardly therefrom are lugs 11. As illustrated to advantage in Figure 3 of the drawing, the lugs 11 include inwardly and forwardly curved tongues or fingers 12.
Removably mounted on the frame 5 is a protective sheet or panel which is designated generally by the reference character 13. The sheet 13 is of substantially the shape shown and said sheet, which comprises distinctively and attractively colored marginal portions 14, is of a suitable transparent, resilient material, preferably a plastic. The sheet 13 is provided in its upper portion with transversely spaced openings for the reception of the lugs 11 for removably mounting said sheet on the frame 5. Further, the sheet 13 is engageable under tension beneath the tongues 12 for retention thereby on the lugs 11.
It is thought that the manner in which the shield is assembled and used will be readily apparent from a consideration of the foregoing. Briefly, the openings 15 in the normally flat sheet 13 are spaced a greater distance apart than the distance between the lugs 11. To mount the sheet 13 on the frame 5, said sheet is buckled or bowed forwardly on its vertical or longitudinal axis and sprung under the retaining tongues 12 onto the lugs 11. In this manner the bowed or buckled resilient sheet 13 is tensioned or maintained in engagement with the tongues 12 by its tendency to expand or resume its normally flat condition. The marginal portions of the sheet 13 around the openings 15 are also distinctively and attractively colored to more sharply define said openings and facilitate engaging the lugs 11 therein.
In the modification of Figure 4 of the drawing, lugs 16 of separate material are mounted on the end portions of the bar 6 and extend therethrough. The lugs 15 comprise integral fingers or tongues 17, similar to the tongues 12, which retain the resilient sheet 13 in position on said lugs. Then, the temples 9 are pivotally mounted on the rear end portions of the lugs 16, as at 13. In other respects, this form of the invention is substantially similar in construction to the embodiment of Figures 1, 2, and 3 of the drawing.
It is believed that the many advantages of a face shield constructed in accordance with the present invention will be readily understood, and although preferred embodiments of the device are as illustrated and described, it is to be understood that changes in the details of construction may be resorted to which will fall within the scope of the invention as claimed.
What is claimed as new is as follows:
1. A shield of the character described comprising; a frame for mounting on the nose of a wearer, lugs on the end portions of said frame, and a resilient sheet having spaced openings therein for the reception of the lugs for mounting said sheet on the frame, the openings in the sheet being spaced a greater distance apart than the lugs for bowing and tensioning said sheet for frictionally securing the same on said lugs.
2. A shield of the character described comprising; a frame for mounting on the nose of a wearer, lugs for bowing and tensioning said sheet when it is engaged with said lugs on the end portions of said frame, a resilient sheet having spaced openings therein for the reception of the lugs for mounting said sheet on the frame, and inwardly directed tongues on the lugs engageable with the sheet for retaining said sheet on said lugs, the openings in the sheet being spaced a greater distance apart than the lugs.
3. A face shield of the character described comprising; a frame comprising a bar for mounting on the nose of a wearer, temples pivotally mounted on the end portions of said bar, integral lugs projecting forwardly from said end portions of said bar, a resilient, transparent protective sheet removably mounted on the frame, said sheet having spaced openings therein for the reception of the lugs, and inwardly projecting tongues on the lugs for anchoring the sheet thereon, said sheet being normally flat and transversely bowed when mounted on the frame, the openings in said sheet being spaced at greater distance apart than the lugs.
4. A face shield of the character comprising; a frame for mounting on the nose of a wearer, said frame including a bar, lugs extending through the end portions of said bar, temples pivotally mounted on the rear end portions of said lugs, a resilient, transparent protective sheet removably mounted on the bar, said sheet having spaced openings therein for the reception of the forward end portions of the lugs, and inwardly projecting tongues on said forward end portions of said lugs engageable with the sheet for anchoring same on said lugs, the openings in the sheet being spaced a greater distance apart than the lugs for permitting said sheet to be bowed and engaged under tension with said lugs.
References Cited in the file of this patent UNITED STATES PATENTS 1,876,412 Hannan et al. Sept. 6, 1932 2,342,982 Stern et al. Feb. 29, 1944 2,669,717 Diggs Feb. 23, 1954 FOREIGN PATENTS 688,227 Germany Jan. 25, 1940 1,024,440 France Apr. 1, 1953
|Cited Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US1876412 *||Feb 25, 1932||Sep 6, 1932||H||Glare shield|
|US2342982 *||Dec 28, 1942||Feb 29, 1944||Newberger Michael P||Face and eye shield|
|US2669717 *||Nov 8, 1951||Feb 23, 1954||Diggs Everett||Combined sunglasses and face protector|
|DE688227C *||Sep 25, 1938||Feb 15, 1940||Dr Med Rudolf Otto||Aus lichtdurchlaessiger und feuersicherer Folie, z. B. aus Cellulosehydratfolie, hergestellte Gesichtsmaske|
|FR1024440A *||Title not available|
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US3312217 *||Feb 23, 1965||Apr 4, 1967||Mckinstry William S||Anti-snoring device|
|US3991753 *||Jan 15, 1975||Nov 16, 1976||Viesca Y Viesca Gabriel||Device for preventing an individual from inhaling germs, foreign bodies, or the like|
|US4122848 *||Apr 28, 1977||Oct 31, 1978||Carpel Emmett F||Surgical drape support|
|US4864653 *||May 16, 1988||Sep 12, 1989||Landis Timothy J||Protective shield and visor supporting same|
|US4884296 *||Nov 23, 1988||Dec 5, 1989||Delta Medical Systems, Inc.||Protective face shield|
|US4924526 *||Apr 11, 1988||May 15, 1990||M.P.A. Meccanica Plastica Agordina S.P.A.||Protective visor|
|US4944039 *||May 26, 1989||Jul 31, 1990||Ursula Dietrich||Protective mask|
|US5297298 *||Dec 29, 1992||Mar 29, 1994||Salatka Robert G||Eye shield|
|US5619749 *||Sep 7, 1995||Apr 15, 1997||Banuchi; Isabel M.||Antiphotoaging face mask|
|US5682606 *||Jan 11, 1996||Nov 4, 1997||Pospisil; Lisa||Sun mask|
|US5694925 *||Dec 12, 1995||Dec 9, 1997||Tecnol Medical Products, Inc.||Face mask with enhanced seal and method|
|US5699792 *||Oct 9, 1996||Dec 23, 1997||Tecnol Medical Products, Inc.||Face mask with enhanced facial seal|
|US5704349 *||Oct 21, 1994||Jan 6, 1998||Tecnol Medical Products, Inc.||Surgical face mask with darkened glare-reducing strip and visor|
|US6298492 *||Sep 7, 2000||Oct 9, 2001||William H. Stirling||Net headgear with face stabilizer|
|US6564804||Mar 26, 2001||May 20, 2003||Robert G. Salatka||Face shield and face shield support assembly|
|US6990981||Sep 12, 2003||Jan 31, 2006||Embrace Healthcare||Protective eyewear for healthcare providers|
|US7051371||Aug 6, 2003||May 30, 2006||Joan M. Tobin||Sun mask towel|
|US9532617||May 5, 2014||Jan 3, 2017||Tidi Products, Llc||Disposable face shield|
|US20050028238 *||Aug 6, 2003||Feb 10, 2005||Tobin Joan Mullen||Sun mask towel|
|US20050055751 *||Sep 12, 2003||Mar 17, 2005||Dubois Gene||Protective eyewear for healthcare providers|
|US20070113322 *||Nov 21, 2005||May 24, 2007||Tom Tredup||Face shield|
|USD732242||Feb 21, 2014||Jun 16, 2015||Tidi Products, Llc||Disposable face shield|
|EP0242988A2 *||Mar 19, 1987||Oct 28, 1987||Timothy J. Landis||Visor-type mask, especially for dentists|
|EP0242988A3 *||Mar 19, 1987||Jun 1, 1988||Timothy J. Landis||Visor-type mask, especially for dentists|
|EP0374215A1 *||Apr 18, 1989||Jun 27, 1990||Bfd, Inc.||Face protector|
|EP0374215A4 *||Apr 18, 1989||Oct 24, 1990||John Patrick Russell||Face protector|
|EP1245208A2 *||Mar 20, 2002||Oct 2, 2002||William B. Buck||Face shield and face shield support assembly|
|EP1245208A3 *||Mar 20, 2002||Oct 9, 2002||William B. Buck||Face shield and face shield support assembly|
|WO1997024937A1 *||Dec 17, 1996||Jul 17, 1997||Lisa Pospisil||Sun mask|
|WO2012033394A1 *||Dec 6, 2010||Mar 15, 2012||Manjarrez Hilda Karina Bonilla||Unilens face protector|