|Publication number||US2829655 A|
|Publication date||Apr 8, 1958|
|Filing date||Jan 23, 1956|
|Priority date||Jan 23, 1956|
|Publication number||US 2829655 A, US 2829655A, US-A-2829655, US2829655 A, US2829655A|
|Inventors||Robert G Bau|
|Original Assignee||Robert G Bau|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Patent Citations (4), Referenced by (33), Classifications (13)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
April 8, 1958 R. G. BAU
' EYE MAKE-UP KIT Filed Jan. 25, 1956 ROBERT G. BAU,
IN V EN TOR.
ATTORNEK United States Patent EYE MAKE-UP KIT Robert G. Ban, Studio City, Calif.
Application January 23, 1956, Serial No. 560,570
7 Claims. (Cl. 132-85) The invention relates to an eye make-u kit, and more particularly to a kit comprising a brush, an accessory tool such as a comb and a container for fluid such as mascara to be applied with the brush to the eyelashes.
An object of the invention is to provide a kit wherein the container, brush and accessory tool such as a comb are housed together in a unitary package. This is accomplished by providing a container cap which serves the double function of supporting the brush and the tool or comb, a cover for the tool or comb removably fitting the cap and serving as a handle for the brush when the cap is removed from the container, with the cover fitting on the cap, the container serving as a handle for the tool or comb when the cap is on the container with the cover removed.
A further object of the invention is to provide the mascara container with an abutment serving to remove excess fluid from the brush when the brush is removed from the container. Preferably this is in the form of a sleeve which is fitted into the neck of the container after the container is filled with the mascara. Also, this sleeve may serve to receive, or house, an extension of the cap in which the shank of the brush is mounted.
Another object is to reduce the likelihood that the cap will be removed from the container when the cover is removed from the cap to expose the tool or comb. This is accomplished by providing a frictional non-rotary coupling between the cover and the cap, and with a rotary coupling, such as screw threads, or a bayonet lock, between the cap and the container. The cover is thus removable with a straight line pull having no tendency to remove the cap.
For further details of the invention, reference may be made to the drawings wherein Fig. 1 is an enlarged longitudinal view partly in section showing an eye make-up kit, according to the invention.
Figs. 2 and 3 are exploded views in elevation of the kit of Fig. 1, illustrating in full scale the kit in different conditions of adjustment, Fig. 2 showing the cover removed for using the comb, Fig. 3 showing the cover and cap fitting together and removed for using the brush.
Referring to the drawings, the container 1 may be of glass and is an elongated cylinder having a reduced neck 2 providing a shoulder 3. Frictionally fitting in the neck 2 is a plastic sleeve 4 having a flange 5 which fits over the outer end 6 of the neck 2. This device is rather small, being shown in full size in Figs. 2 and 3, and to facilitate filling the container 1, the sleeve 4 is not inserted in place in the neck 2 until the mascara or the like has been poured into the container 1. The sleeve 4 performs several functions, one of which is that it serves to remove surplus mascara from the bristles 7 of the brush 8, the inside diameter of sleeve 4 being smaller than the diameter of the bristles 7. In the container 1 is a steel ball 29 which closes the seat 28 at the inner end of sleeve 4 if the container 1 is inverted when brush 7 is removed. Also, the ball 29 serves to stir the contents of container 1 on shaking this container with the cap 10 in place.
Removably fitting on the neck 2 is .a cap 10 which may be a moulding of plastic material. Cap 10 on its outer side has a central recess 11 in which is cemented the shank 12 of the shank 12 of the shaft 13 of an accessory tool such as a comb 14, the comb having a series of spaced teeth indicated at 15 which extend laterally from the body or shaft 13.
The underside of cap 10 has an extension16 having a recess 17 in which is cemented the shank 1 8 of the shaft 19 of brush 8. The shaft 19 may be in the form of a twisted wire as shown, the bristles 7 being engaged in the twist of the wire.
The brush 8 and comb 14 thus extend in opposite directions from the opposite sides of the cap 10, being substantially coaxial with the cylindrical container 1 and its cylindrical cover 20 which is closed at the top. The upper outside portion of the cap 10 has a cylindrical recess 21 and shoulder 22 to frictionally receive the lower end of the cover 20, the cover 20 and the cap 10 thus frictionally fitting together and serving as a handle for the brush 8 when the cap 10 is removed from the container 1 as shown in Fig. 3. The lower outside of the cap 10 has a knurled surface 23. The cap 10 has a skirt 25 having internal threads 26 which mate with the external threads 27 on neck 2.
The cover 20 may he slipped off from the cap 10 with a straight line pull, to expose the comb 14, the container 1 with the cap 10 in place on it serving as a handle for the comb 14 as shown in Fig. 2.
Leakage is prevented as the lower end of the skirt 25 makes sealing contact with the shoulder 3 on the container 1. Also, the under surface of the cap 10 at the same time fits on and seals with the top of flange 5 of the sleeve 4. Preferably the extension 16 extends into and makes a sealing contact with the inside of sleeve 4 as shown in Fig. 1, thereby, also providing an extended support for the shank 18 of the brush 8. The cover 20 may be of material such as :brass, gold plated, the cap 10 may be of red plastic, and the container 1 may be black in color, thus providing a distinctive color combination, the outside diameter of these three elements being substantially the same whereby the nested device as in Fig. 1 appears to be one cylindrical member having different colored sections.
Various modifications may be made in the invention without departing from the spirit of the following claims.
1. An eye make-up kit comprising a container cap having a brush and an accessory tool shank mounted thereon and extending in opposite directions therefrom, said shank having an accessory tool, and a container on which said cap fits with said brush extending into said container and with said tool extending outside of said container and a removable cover member fitting on said cap over said tool and serving as a handle for said brush when said cap is removed from said container, said container serving as a handle for said tool when said cover is removed.
2. An eye make-up kit according to claim 1, said cap having a rotary coupling with said container and a.
non-rotary slip coupling with said cover.
3. An eye make-up kit comprising a cylindrical container having a neck, a sleeve frictionally fitting in said neck, a removable cap for said container, said cap having an inner side having an extension fitting in said sleeve, a brush having a shank extending in one direction mounted in said extension, and a comb having a shank extending in the opposite direction and mounted in the outer side of said cap, said brush having bristles extending in said container when said cap is in position on said neck, said sleeve having an internal diameter less than the diameter of said bristles and serving to remove sura fi plus liquid from said brush, and a removable cover fitting over said comb on said cap, said cover serving as a handle for said brush with said cap on said cover and removed from said container, said container sewing as a handle for said comb on removal of said cover from said cap.
4. An eye make-up kit comprising a container cap having an applicator and an accessory tool shank mounted thereon and extending in opposite directions therefrom, said shank having an accessory tool and a liquid container on which said cap removably fits in liquid sealing relation with said applicator extending into said container and with said tool extending outside of said container and a removable cover member fitting on said cap over said tool and serving as a handle for said applicator when said cap is removed from said container, said container serving as a handle for said tool when said cover is removed.
5. An eye make-up kit comprising a cylindrical liquid container having a neck, a sleeve fitting in said neck, a removable cap for said container, said cap having an inner side having an extension fitting with liquid sealing contact in said sleeve, an accessory tool having a shank extending in one direction from said cap and mounted in said extension, and a comb having a shank extending in the opposite direction and mounted in the outer side of said cap, said accessory tool extending in said container when said cap is in position on said neck, said sleeve having a restricted opening serving to remove surplus liquid from said accessory tool, and a removable cover fitting over said comb on said cap, said cover serving as a handle for said accessory tool with said cap on said cover and removed from said container, said container serving as a handle for said comb on removal of said cover from said cap.
References Cited in the file of this patent UNITED STATES PATENTS 2,559,889 Matthews July 10, 1951 2,617,431 Gaspari Nov. 11, 1952 FOREIGN PATENTS 934,668 France May 28, 1948 664,368' Great Britain Jan. 2, 1952
|Cited Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2559889 *||May 27, 1946||Jul 10, 1951||Matthews Richard F||Lipstick holder|
|US2617431 *||Jan 29, 1951||Nov 11, 1952||Joseph Gaspari||Hair-treating implement|
|FR934668A *||Title not available|
|GB664368A *||Title not available|
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2902041 *||Apr 26, 1957||Sep 1, 1959||Bau Robert G||Cosmetic make-up kit|
|US2990834 *||Jul 6, 1959||Jul 4, 1961||Nicholas C Amen||Mascara container and applicator|
|US3033213 *||May 26, 1958||May 8, 1962||Rubinstein Inc H||Mascara applicator|
|US3262461 *||Jun 25, 1963||Jul 26, 1966||Helene Kambersky||Container and device for removing contents from a container|
|US3763870 *||Aug 2, 1971||Oct 9, 1973||Max Factor & Co||Apparatus and method for applying cosmetics|
|US3871391 *||Mar 20, 1973||Mar 18, 1975||Lardenois S A Ets||Roller for setting and treating the hair|
|US4275749 *||May 14, 1979||Jun 30, 1981||Celso Caroli||Electrically driven continuous tooth brush|
|US4289153 *||May 28, 1980||Sep 15, 1981||Anthony Paccione||Hair styling device|
|US4386620 *||Feb 12, 1981||Jun 7, 1983||Carol Handler||Hair styling brush|
|US5007442 *||Sep 6, 1990||Apr 16, 1991||Hirzel Suzy C||Double blocking members sealing a single opening means|
|US5941254 *||Nov 13, 1998||Aug 24, 1999||Heler; Fabian Gustavo||Cosmetics applying device|
|US5970989 *||Oct 16, 1998||Oct 26, 1999||Revlon Consumer Products Corporation||Makeup kit|
|US5970990 *||Nov 10, 1998||Oct 26, 1999||The Brideport Metal Goods Mfg. Co.||Cosmetics container cap with applicator and comb|
|US6227735||Aug 10, 1995||May 8, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6296411||Jan 5, 2001||Oct 2, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6299370||Jan 5, 2001||Oct 9, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6299371||Jan 5, 2001||Oct 9, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6305862||Jan 5, 2001||Oct 23, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6309123||Jan 5, 2001||Oct 30, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6325562||Jan 5, 2001||Dec 4, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6331086||Jan 5, 2001||Dec 18, 2001||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6345923||Jan 5, 2001||Feb 12, 2002||L'oreal||Make-up brush and method for manufacturing such a brush|
|US6497235 *||Apr 3, 2001||Dec 24, 2002||Henlopen Manufacturing Co., Inc.||Dispenser for cosmetic material or the like|
|US6655391 *||Sep 13, 2001||Dec 2, 2003||Kao Corporation||Combination applicator having oppositely directed brushes|
|US7219801||May 17, 2004||May 22, 2007||Brenda Aarons Christian||Mascara brush and kit|
|US9271557||Mar 13, 2014||Mar 1, 2016||Elc Management, Llc||Cosmetic applicator system with one functional and one non-functional applicator|
|US9320339||May 21, 2014||Apr 26, 2016||Elc Management Llc||Cosmetic applicator system comprising a magnifying cap for a non-functional applicator head|
|US20070151573 *||Mar 13, 2007||Jul 5, 2007||Brenda Christian||Mascara brush and kit|
|US20080006287 *||Oct 14, 2005||Jan 10, 2008||L'oreal||Kit for applying makeup to keratinous fibers|
|USD739084 *||Nov 26, 2013||Sep 15, 2015||Elc Management Llc||Liquid lipstick package|
|EP1652449A2 *||Oct 14, 2005||May 3, 2006||L'oreal||Make-up kit for keratinous fibres|
|WO2008089926A1 *||Jan 21, 2008||Jul 31, 2008||Beiersdorf Ag||Mascara applicator|
|WO2014137339A1 *||Mar 6, 2013||Sep 12, 2014||Tomy International, Inc.||Container cleaning brush|
|U.S. Classification||132/218, 15/105|
|International Classification||A45D34/04, A45D34/06, B01F13/00|
|Cooperative Classification||B01F13/0052, A45D34/06, B01F13/002, A45D34/048, A45D34/045|
|European Classification||B01F13/00K2B, B01F13/00L2, A45D34/06|