US 3191190 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
June 29, 1965 B. N. LOWRY PORTABLE COLLAPSIBLE HEALTH BATH Filed Nov. 20. 1962 I INVENTQR. BEATRICE N, L OWRY United States Patent 3,191,19tl PDRTABLE CULLAPSIBLE HEALTH BATH Beatrice N. Lowry, R0. Box 924, Del Rio, Tex. Filed Nov. 20, 1962, Ser. No. 247,427 Claims. (Cl. 4177) This invention relates to collapsible fluid containers and more particularly to a collapsible bath structure.
It is an object of the present invention to provide a portable health bath structure which will be adjustable to various heights and will contain water with salts in it for healthful bathing.
Another object of the present invention is to provide a portable health bath structure which will have suction cups thus preventing it from skidding on the ground and will have an accordian pleated collapsible wall which may be raised and lowered to any desired height.
A further object of the present invention is to provide a portable health bath structure which will enable many people to take a health bath without having to travel to a hot springs resort.
Other objects of the invention are to provide a portable health bath structure bearing the above objects in mind, which is of simple construction, has a minimum number of parts, is inexpensive to manufacture and efficient in operation.
For other objects and for a better understanding of the invention reference may be had to the following detailed description taken in conjunction with the accompanying drawing, in which:
FIGURE 1 is a side view of a health bath structure comprising the present invention;
FIGURE 2 is a bottom plan view of FIGURE 1; and
FIGURE 3 is a fragmentary sectional view of the wall shown in FIGURE 1.
Referring now more in detail to the drawing, a health bath structure made in accordance with the present invention is shown to include a base of circular configuration 12 made of plastic or other suitable material having a plurality of radially spaced apart elongated sleeves 14 of hollow circular configuration. A rubber suction cup 16 is fixedly secured to the bottom end of sleeves 14 and provides for non-slip engagement withground 18. Sleeves 14 telescopingly receive one of a plurality of sleeves 20 and sleeves 20 telescopingly receive one of a plurality of sleeves 22 thus providing a means for raising structure 10. Sleeves 22 telescopingly and slidingly receive one of a plurality of rods 24 and a circular rod 26 is fixedly secured to the upper ends of rods 24 thus providing support means for collapsible wall 28 which is secured around rod 26. Collapsible wall 28 is provided with a plurality of spaced apart pleats 30 thus providing easy expansion and collapsing of wall 28. The center of base 12 is provided with a central and circular opening 32 which provides drain means for the water contained within structure 10 when the bather finishes bathing. A circular cap 34 provides cover means for drain opening 32 and has a chain 36 fixedly secured to one edge while the other end of chain 36 is received through an eye 33 which is fixedly secured above base 32 thus preventing the loss of cover 34.
In operation, the bather grasps the rod 26 and pulls upward until the structure 10 reaches a desired height. As the structure is being raised upward by the bather the rods 24, sleeves 2'2, sleeves .20 and sleeves 14 telescopingly slide from within each other simultaneously and when the rod 26 is brought to a desired height the int-ernal friction between rods 24, sleeves 22, sleeves 20, and sleeves 14 thus will hold rod 26 in the up position until it is desired to be lowered and wall 22 made of plastic or other suitable material is thus supported in the up position by rod 26 until the bather desires to lower it.
It shall thus be recognized that the drain cover 34 may be removed by the bather from the opening 32 provided :for drainage in base 12 by sliding it away from the drainage opening 32 with his foot and the chain 36 will thus prevent misplacing the cover 34.
It shall be noted that the entire structure 10 when collapsed by the bathe-r urging downward upon the rod 26 is fully portable and provides for easy compact storage when not in use.
While various changes may be made in the detail construction it shall be understood that such changes shall be within the spirit and scope of the present invention as defined by the appended claims.
What I claim as new and desire to protect by Letters Patent of the Uni-ted States is:
1. A portable health bath structure comprising, in combination, a substantially circular base made of plastic or other suitable material, a plurality of radially spaced apart large vertical and substantially circular sleeves carried by said base providing a means for receiving telescopingly a plurality of inter-receiving sleeves, a plurality of vertical rods carried by said sleeve on said base providing a means for supporting a substantially circular rod carried by said inter-receiving sleeves, a substantially circular and pleated collapsible wall carried by said circular rod providing a means for containing water and salts for bathing, a substantially circular drain cover made of plastic or other suitable material and a chain, providing a means for the occupant of said bath to drain the contents from within, a plurality of suction cups carried by said bottom end of said spaced apart circular sl eves providing anti skid means with the ground.
2. A combination according to claim 1, wherein said suction cups are secured to the lower ends of the large hollow sleeve and a plurality of sleeves are telescopingly received within the large diameter sleeves and thus provide a means for raising and lowering said bath structure to a desired height for bathing.
3. A combination according to claim 2, wherein said base is secured to said large sleeves secured to said suction cups and is raised from the ground by securing it thereto above the suction cups.
4. A combination according to claim 3, wherein said drain cover provides a means for covering said drain hole in said base when said structure is in operative use and chain means are secured to one edge of said drain cover to thus prevent it from being misplaced and the other end of said chain secured to said drain cover is secured through an upwardly projecting eye which is secured through said base of said structure.
5. A combination according to claim 4, wherein said vertical rods are .frictionally received within the smaller diameter sleeves in the upper end of said structure and are secured beneath said circular rod, thus when said circular rod is raised by the bather said collapsible wall being secured to said circular rod will thus stretch and expand to allow for a greater volume of water to be contained within said structure for bathing.
References Cited by the Examiner UNITED STATES PATENTS 2,260,802 10/41 Conrad 4-173 2,609,547 9/52 Clark 4-149 2,635,252 4/53 Genie et al. 4-187 FOREIGN PATENTS 67 6,45 8 11/29 France.
LAVERNE D. GEIGER, Primary Examiner.
FRANK H. BRONAUGH, EDWARD V. BENHAM,
LEWIS I. LENNY, Examiners.