US 3449762 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
Jun e 17, 1969 w DOZER 3,449,762
UNDERGARMENT Filed Sept. 29, 1967 INVENTOR. HERMA WEIDLE DOZIER.
ATTORNEY United States Patent 3,449,762 UNDERGARMENT Herma Wiedle Dozier, 6609 Olive Blvd., St. Louis, Mo. 63130 Filed Sept. 29, 1967, Ser. No. 671,703 Int. Cl. A41b 9/08, 9/16; A41f 15/00 US. Cl. 273 5 Claims ABSTRACT OF THE DISCLOSURE The disclosure sets forth a slip provided with breast cups which are encircled with a relatively wide band of elastic material preferably in criss-cross construction, which extends around the breast cup and to the side of the garment. Around the breast cup there is an extra fullness which permits ready expansion of the garment depending upon the shape of the torso of the wearer below the breast cup portions and particularly around the front of the abdomen and around the waist.
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION Field of the invention The present invention relates to womens undergarments and particularly slips.
Description of prior art BRIEF SUMMARY AND GENERAL STATEMENT OF THE INVENTION It is among the objects of the present invention to provide a novel slip having a certain degree of extensibility particularly around the portion of the body below the breast cups and around the waist and abdomen, which nevertheless will have an attractive appearance and be readily saleable.
Another object is to provide a novel slip construction which will not serve as a foundation garment but will nevertheless be effectively adjustable to varying shapes of torsos, even though of specific sizing.
Still further objects and advantages will appear in the more detailed description set forth below, it being understood, however, that this more detailed description is given by Way of illustration and explanation only and not by way of limitation, since various changes therein may be made by those skilled in the art without departing from the scope and spirit of the present invention.
In accomplishing the above objects it has been found most satisfactory according to one embodiment of the present invention to provide a relatively wide band of elastic material across the top and bottom of and encircling the breast cups, with an extra fullness or pleating or gathering being provided around the lower edge of the breast cup increasing to a maximum below the middle of the breast cup and decreasing to a minimum at the sides of the garment and at the middle of the garment.
This will permit ready adaptation of the garment to the same size of upper body structure but will also accommodate varying sizings of the abdomen wall and lower torso portions.
The garment itself is desirably made of nylon tricot but the encircling bands are made of an extensible lace material such as lycra.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS With the foregoing and other objects in view, the invention consists of the novel construction, combination and arrangement of parts as hereinafter more specifically described and illustrated in the accompanying drawings, wherein is ,shown an embodiment of the invention, but it is to be understood that changes, variations and modifica tions can be resorted to which fall within the scope of the claims hereunto appended.
In the drawings wherein like reference characters denote corresponding parts throughout the several views:
FIG. 1 is a front elevational view of the garment showing it draped upon a figure;
FIG. 2 is a fragmentary back view showing the attachment of the band along the back of the garment;
FIG. 3 is a transverse sectional view showing the manner in which the elastic bands are attached.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PREFERRED EMBODIMENTS Referring to FIG. 1, there is shown a figure A having a head B, shoulders C and a torso D. The garment which is of a slip construction as indicated at E is particularly designed to accommodate in one size various shapes and sizes of torsos indicated at D.
The garment itself has shoulder straps 20 with adjustable buckles 21 and breast cups 22, a torso encircling portion 23 and a skirt portion 24.
The important feature of the present invention resides in the elastic lace bands 25 which extend around the top and bottom of the breast cups 22 and cross at 26. The band 28 will extend entirely around the periphery of the top of the garment E.
Both the breast cups 22 and the torso encircling portions 23 are heavily pleated or gathered at 29 and 30 midway of the breast cups with the pleating or gathering decreasing at 31 and 32 toward the side seams 33 below and above the elastic bands 34. The upper portions 35 of the elastic bands rise to a peak at 36 where they are attached to the lower front ends 37 of the straps 20.
The elastic bands 34 are desirably superimposed upon the lower edge 50 of the breast cup 22 as indicated by the stitching at 51 and upon the upper edge 52 of the torso encircling portion 23.
As indicated in FIG. 3, the lower edges of the breast cups 22 are altogether separated from the upper edges 52 of the torso encircling portion 23 to give an extra selfadjustability to the garment without any tension or confining effect being unduly communicated to the body of the wearer.
The garment, as shown in FIG. 1, will be attractive in appearance, will be saleable as a normal slip, but at the same time will accommodate vairous torso sizes due to the extra fullness at the areas indicated at 29 and 30. The skirt 24 may be of normal size.
In FIG. 2 is shown the back where the elastic is continued around the upper periphery of the garment to balance the upper portions 35 in the front upper periphery of the garment.
As many changes could be made in the above slip construction, and many widely different embodiments of this invention could be made, it is intended that all matter contained in the above description shall be interpreted as illustrative and not in a limiting sense.
Having now particularly described and ascertained the nature of the invention, and in what manner the same is to be performed, what is claimed is:
1. A slip construction having upper separated breast cups and lower depending front and back body portions, criss-crossed elastic strips meeting at a point midway between the breast cups and midway between the upper and lower edges of said breast cups, said front body portion being transversally gathered for extra fullness in the front of the garment below each breast cup and being held in said gathered position by said elastic strips, said elastic strips extending over the top of one breast cup and below the bottom of the other breast cup, vertical side seams connecting said front and back body portions and also the outside edges of said breast cups to said back depending body portion, each strip commencing at the upper end of one side seam and extending first upwardly and inwardly to a peak above one breast cup and then downwardly to the meeting point midway of the breast cups then under the other breast cup and terminating below said breast cup at the other side seam.
2. The construction of claim 1, in which the lower edges of the breast cups are separated from the front body portion and connected thereto by the lower portions of the elastic strips below the meeting point.
3. The construction of claim 1, in which the upper edge of the elastic strip overlaps the lower edge of the breast cup and the lower edge of said elastic strip overlaps the upper edge of the front body portion, said elastic strip being stitched respectively thereto.
4. The construction of claim 1, said strip consisting of an elastic lace construction.
5. The construction of claim 1, said breast cups having outwardly and downwardly extending portions extending to said side seams and said extensions being stitched at their top and bottom edges to said elastic strips.
References Cited UNITED STATES PATENTS 2,685,087 8/1954 Williams 2-73 2,761,148 9/1956 Jenckes 273 3,149,342 9/1964 Cederholrn 2-73 3,176,692 4/1965 Marino '273 XR 3,304,942 2/1967 Hall 2-73 XR 3,339,553 9/1967 Ritter 273 XR FOREIGN PATENTS 895,732 11/1953 Ger-many.
H. HAMPTON HUNTER, Primary Examiner.