US 3605981 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
Sept. 20, 1971 L] 3,605,981
DEVICE FOR NSFERRING BARS FROM THE 000 ED OF A HOT ROLLING M FOR CONVEYANCE O TRANSPO LLER PATH Filed March 1969 INVENTOR LU/G/ DAN/EU ATTORNEYS United States Patent Ofice Patented Sept. 20, 1971 US. Cl. 198-27 6 Claims ABSTRACT OF THE DISCLOSURE A device for transferring bars from the cooling bed of a hot rolling mill to a transport roller path includes an articulated quadrialateral or four-bar linkage arrangement. The four-bar linkage arrangement is actuated by an eccentric to reciprocate a bar carrier through forward and return strokes. A plurality of bars are transferred from the cooling bed to the transport path on each forward stroke of the carrier.
The present invention relates generally to a transfer device for hot rolling mill bars and more particularly to a transfer device for withdrawing such bars from the cooling bed and placing the same on a transport roller path. This device comprises a plurality of assemblies, each of which includes: a carrier plate or member for supporting transversely a plurality of juxtaposed bars at an intermediate or end section thereof; a plurality of support links pivotally connected to the carrier plate and to a connecting link to form a four-bar linkage arrangement, a cam or eccentric control for actuating the fourbar linkage arrangement to cyclically move the support plate between an initial position to raise the bars off an inclined plane at the end of the cooling bed and a final position to discharge the bars onto the roller path. A common drive shaft is provided for all of the cam controls of the individual assemblies. Each assembly is arranged with the longitudinal axis of the carrier plate extending almost perpendicular to the bars. The carrier plate is movable from a position within a slot in the inclined plane by which the cooling bed terminates to a corresponding space between two adjoining rollers of the roller transport path.
The apparatus, as set forth, also comprises improvements improving the structure and operation thereof and this in order to:
allow for transporting the rolled product from the cooling bed to the roller path at an attitude parallel to the material receiving plane, or at a substantial horizontal attitude;
provide for rolled product transfer also through substantial distances;
provide for simultaneously transferring a larger amount of rolled product.
All of these objects are attained by the improved device according to the present invention, characterized in that the control device for each rolled section supporting plate comprises an articulated quadrilateral or four-bar linkage producing by means of a cam or eccentric a cy clical movement while maintaining the supporting plate as parallel to itself and horizontal.
The accompanying drawing is a diagrammatic representation, given by way of non-restrictive example, in which:
FIG. 1 is an elevational view showing one of assemblies forming part of the device according to the invention;
FIG. 2 is a perspective view showing a battery of two conveyor units.
Referring to these figures of the drawing, it will be seen that the transfer or control device for the carrier or supporting plate 3 for transferring the rolled sections or bars 6, comprising an articulated quadrilateral or fourbar linkage driven by a cam or eccentric 5 connected with a drive shaft 4.
The articulated quadrilateral or four-bar linkage controlling the supporting plate 3 comprises:
(1) a horizontal rod between pivot connections 33 and 31 comprising part of plate 3;
(2) a connecting link 36 centrally provided with pulleys or guide rollers 37 for sliding along a vertical guide rail 39 integral with the fixed base 38 of the assembly;
(3) a first rocking lever or link comprising support 11 of plate 3, pivoted thereto at 31 at the middle zone thereof, and a crown 19, integral with said support 11 and peripherally carrying the rollers 15 sliding along the cam on eccentric 5 driven by shaft 4; said crown 19 being pivoted at 32 to an end of carriage 36;
(4) a second rocking lever or link comprising an upright 35, at the bottom pivoted at 34 to the other end of link 36 and at the top pivoted at 33 to a side end of plate 3.
In the figure of the drawing, the dashed line shows the various positions plate 3 can take upon control as provided by cam 5 through the above described articulated quadrilateral or four-bar linkage.
As clearly shown from the figures of the drawing, the rolled section 6 is arranged on the inclined planes 8 of the cooling bed 1, said rolled section 6 being collected by plates 3 when the latter are at the position as shown in the figure at 3', simultaneously driven because of the control provided by the common shaft 4 through the plurality of assemblies.
For the sake of simplicity, reference was made in FIG. 1 to a single assembly, but actually the operation contemplates the simultaneous parallel actuation of all the assemblies, as shown in FIG. 2. Plate 3 moves from position 3' to position 3" to reach position 3" where rolled sections 6 are placed onto the roller path 10. Thereafter, said plate 3 takes up again the position as shown by full line in the figure.
The assemblies, as driven by the articulated quadrilaterals, are inserted into the slots 18 at the end of bed 1 and spaces 18' between two adjoining rollers of the roller path 10.
From the foregoing description and figures, it is apparent that plate 3 always moves parallel to itself and bed 1. As bed 1 is generally horizontal, the movements of plate 3 are such that a plate is always horizontal.
Owing to control by articulated quadrilateral, the movements of plate 3 and hence of the rolled sections 6 carried thereby, can be accomplished also through substantial distances; moreover, still owning to control by articulated quadrilateral, plate 3 can be made of a substantially larger width than that shown in the drawing, therefrom resulting the ability of simultaneously carrying a larger amount of rolled sections.
What is claimed is:
1. A device for transferring bars from the cooling bed of a hot rolling mill to a transport path, said device comprising bar carrier means having leading and trailing end portions with a support portion therebetween for supporting a plurality of bars as they are moved from the cooling bed to the transport path by said device, first and second support links having upper end portions pivotally connected to said carrier means at locations which are spaced apart in a direction extending parallel to a longitudinal axis of said support portion, a connecting link having opposite end portions pivotally connected to lower end portions of said support links and cooperating with said support links and said carrier means to form a fourbar linkage arrangement, and means including an eccentric operatively connected to one of said support links for pivoting said support links relative to said connecting link and said carrier means to reciprocate said carrier means through forward and return strokes and move said support portion of said carrier means from the cooling bed to the transport path during the forward stroke to thereby transfer a plurality of bars from the cooling bed to the transport path and to move said support portion from the transport path to the cooling bed during the return stroke.
2. A device as set forth in claim 1 wherein said eccentrio means cooperates with the four-bar linkage arrangement to raise said carrier means during an initial portion of a forward stroke to lift a plurality of the bars off the cooling bed and to lower said carrier means during a final portion of said forward stroke to lower the plurality of bars onto the transport path.
3. A device as set forth in claim 2 wherein said eccentrio means also cooperates with said four-bar linkage arrangement to keep said carrier means lowered during return stroke.
4. A device as set forth in claim 1 wherein said eccentric means cooperates with said four-bar linkage arrangement to raise and lower said carrier means and connecting link as said carrier' means -is reciprocated'through forward and return strokes;
5. A device as set forth in claim 4 wherein said means including an eccentric also includes guide track means disposed in a fixed relationship with an axis of rotation of said eccentric means for guiding movement of said connecting link as it is raised and lowered.
6. A device as set forth in claim 1 wherein said eccentric means includes an eccentric mounted for rotation about a fixed axis and crown means circumscribing said eccentric and connected to one of said support links to imparting movement to said one support link upon rotation of said eccentric to thereby acutate saidfour-bar linkage arrangement.
References Cited UNITED STATES PATENTS 3/1963 Morgan 198-219X 8/1969 Hill l982l9 US. Cl. X.R. l982l9