US 3694835 A
A boat which includes a tubular main frame with a transom board for mounting a motor in order to drive the boat.
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
United States Patent 1151 3,694,835
Casey et al. 1 Oct. 3, 1972 1541 SPORTSMANS BOAT 1,552,751 9/1925 Marriott ..9/2
 Inventors: Tommie Casey, 7907 N. Jefferson, FOREIGNPATENTS OR APPLICATIONS Kansas 64118; Ed 719,480 10/1965 Canada ..9/1
5010 N. Garfield, Kansas City, Mo. 64119; Grover Cockrum, 6500 N. Bell, Kansas City, Mo. 641 18  Filed: March 31, 1970  App]. No.: 24,223
 US. Cl. ..9/2 A  Int. Cl. ..B63b 7/08  Field of Search ..9/2, 21, 7, 11, 340, l A
 References Cited UNITED STATES PATENTS 2,010,371 8/1935 Perri ..9/2 3,324,488 6/1967 Schulz, Jr. ..9/1
Primary ExaminerMilton Buchler Assistant Examiner-Carl A. Rutledge Att0mey--Thomas M. Scofield ABSTRACT A boat which includes a tubular mainframe with a transom board for mounting a motor in order to drive the boat.
The main frame includes arcuate arm members which engage an inflatable O-shaped tube which imparts buoyancy to the device. The main frame includes a removable smaller frame which supports a folding chair.
7 Claims, 1 Drawing Figure PATENTEUHBH m2 3.694.835
I NVENTORS TOMMIE CASEY E0 FARRAR GROVER COO/(RUM I SPORTSMAN 'S BOAT This invention relates to inflatable water craft, and more particularly to a rigid care supporting and motor supporting structure which is supported upon the water by an inflatable tube member.
It is therefore the main purpose of this invention to provide a boat which will have a main frame which embraces an inflatable O-shaped configurated tube, the tube supplying buoyancy for the device.
Another object of this invention is to provide a boat of which the main frame includes a transom member for the supporting of a motor inorder to propel the boat, the lower portion of the main frame having storage areas.
A further object of this invention is to provide a boat of the type described which will have arcuate arm members for embracing and rendering the frame secure within the inner portion of the O-shaped inflatable tube, the main frame supporting a smaller frame to which attaches a foldable vinyl covered and cushioned seat for the occupant of the boat.
A still further object of this invention is to provide a boat which will have a pair of cleats which will serve as mooring means for the boat.
Other objects of the present invention are to provide a sportsmans boat which is simple in design, inexpensive to manufacture, rugged in construction, easy to use and efficient in operation.
These and other objects will be readily evident upon a study of the following specification and the accompanying drawing wherein:
The drawing shows the present invention in an exploded condition for clarity.
According to this invention, the boat is shown to include a tubular main frame 11 which receives a smaller frame 12 in a manner which hereinafter will be described.
A folding chair 13 is supported by the smaller frame 12 and includes a tubular frame 14 to which is suitably secured a back rest 15 and a seat rest portion 16. Seat rest portion 16 is provided with clips 17 (one of which is shown) for engaging the U-shaped tube 18 of the smaller frame 12 and a tubular frame 14 is also provided with hooks 19 for engaging the U-shaped tube 20 of the smaller frame 12.
Tube 18 and tube 20 of the smaller frame 12 are secured together by means of a pair of parallel tube members 21. The lower ends of tubes 18 and 20 are secured within the projecting sleeves 22 extending upright from frame portion 23 thus providing rigid support means for the folding chair 13. Main frame 1 1 also includes a tubular member 24 at one end having a pair of parallel spaced apart and arcuately configurated arms 25 for a purpose which hereinafter will be described.
A forward tubular member 26 is provided with a pair of parallel and arcuate arms 27 which simultaneously with arms 25 and 28 of main frame 11 engage the O shaped and inflatable tube 29 which is inflatable after it has been placed to engage the arms 25, 27 and 28 of main frame 1 1.
Main frame 11 of boat 10 includes a battery storage area 30, and under seat storage area 31 and a forward storage area 32 in front of which is secured fixedly a transom mounting board 33 for clamping a motor (not shown) to and in order to propel boat 10.
The arcuate and tubular constructed arms 28 of main frame 11 have secured near their upper extremity a cleat 34 which enables boat 10 to be easily moored by rope means.
What 1 now claim is:
1. An inflatable boat having a tubular and rigid main frame portion,
a removable smaller frame carried by said main frame providing support means for a collapsible chair,
transom means carried by said main frame for mounting a drive motor for propelling said craft,
a plurality of storage areas carried in the bottom of said main frame for a storage battery and the like,
cleat means carried by said main frame providing mooring means for said craft,
said main frame of said boat including tubular and arcuate arm portions front and rear,
said arm portions in combination with arcuate side arm portions serving to engage and retain said inflatable tube which is of O-shaped configuration,
said inflatable tube thus providing the buoyancy for said main frame, said smaller frame and said folding chair of said craft.
2. The combination according to claim 1, wherein said main frame includes a plurality of spaced apart and upwardly extendingsleeve members, said sleeve members receiving the lower portions of the U-shaped configurated tubular members of the smaller frame, said U- shaped configurated members being secured to a pair of parallel and tubular side members which provides rigidity for said smaller frame, said U-shaped tubular members of said smaller frame engaging clips and hooks of the tubular frame of said folding chair, said folding chair having a plastic covered back rest and seat portion with cushion means beneath said plastic covering.
3. The combination according to claim 2, wherein said arcuate arm portions of said main frame extending forwardly, rearwardly and sidewards, simultaneously embrace the contour of the inner peripheral surface of said inflatable tube, said inflatable tube is placed in position within said tubular arm portions prior to inflating said inflatable tube, the upper portions of said arm members preventing said main frame from slipping downward within the center of said inflatable tube, and said storage areas of said main frame include ribbed plate portions within said main frame for the support of various articles such as a storage battery, fishing tackle and the like, and said transom member provides for the rigid mounting of the propelling motor of said craft and cleat members along the arcuate side arms of said main frame provides mooring means for said craft when desired.
4. A boat construction including, in combination,
an inflatable tube of O-shaped configuration,
a rigid main frame portion,
a removable smaller frame carried by said main frame providing 81mp means for a chair,
transom means carried by said main frame for mounting a drive motor operative to propel said craft,
a plurality of storage areas provided within said main frame,
the main frame of said boat including arcuate arm portions at the front and rear thereof,
said arm portions, in combination with arcuate side arm portions, serving to removably engage and grip said inflatable tube, whereby the latter provides the buoyancy for the main frame, smaller frame and chair of said craft. 5. A boat construction as in claim 4 wherein said main frame includes a plurality of spaced apart, upwardly extending sleeve members,
the latter receiving lower portions of U-shaped configured members of the smaller frame, said U-shaped configured members being secured to a pair of parallel side members providing rigidity for said smaller frame, said U-shaped members of said smaller frame engaging connecting means on the frame of said chair, said chair having a back rest and seat portion.
6. A boat construction as in claim 4, wherein the ar-- cuate arm portions of said main frame extend forwardly, rearwardly and sidewardly,
whereby to simultaneously embrace the contour of the inflatable tube, 7
said inflatable tube positionable within said arcuate arm portions prior to inflating same,
the upper portions of said arcuate arm portions preventing said main frame from slipping downwardly through the center of said inflatable tube.
7. A boat construction as in claim 4, wherein storage areas including ribbed plate portions are provided within said main frame for the support of various articles,
the transom member provides for rigid mounting of the propelling motor of said craft and cleat members are provided along the arcuate side arms of said main frame operable as mooring means for said craft.