|Publication number||US386694 A|
|Publication date||Jul 24, 1888|
|Publication number||US 386694 A, US 386694A, US-A-386694, US386694 A, US386694A|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (6), Classifications (1)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
Patented July 24, 1888..
Unirse TATES ALEXANDER EDIE, OF BUTTE CITY, MONTANA TERRTORY.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 386,694, dated July 24, 1888. Application filed May 16, 1838. Serial No. 274.021. (Model.)
To a/ZZ whom, it may concern:
Be it known that I, ALEXANDER EDIE, a citizen of the United States, residing at Butte City, in the county of Silver Bow and Territory of Montana, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Lemon-Squeezers; and
l do declare the following to be a full, clear,
d has for its object the provision of a device for the purpose of extracting the juices from fruits by pressure, that will be simple, compact, efficient, and which can be conveniently handled and cleaned.
rlhe squeezer is composed of two levers having their ends expanded or provided with short arms, and a band or bed having the two levers hinged thereto.
The improvement further consists in having a supportingplate to hold the fruit in position and prevent the juices squirting in an upward directiongin means for limiting the movement of the levers, which means, preferably, is the said supportingplate, having slots near each end, through which set-screws or pins pass to forni stops, and, lastly, in the peculiar construction and combination ofparts, which hereinafter will be more fully described and claimed, and shown in the annexed drawings, in which- Figure l is a plan View of a lemonsqueezer of my invention, showing the levers open by dotted lines; Fig. 2, a plan view of the device, showing the ends of the levers broken away; Fig. 3, a top plan view of a moditication, and Fig. il an edge view of the front end of the device.
rlhe two levers A and A are counterparts of each other,and have their ends expanded or provided with the short arms a and a', respectively, and are hinged at their outer ends to the bed B, which in the present instance is a yielding band, preferably of spring metal, arch-shaped. The inner ends of the levers may be free or hinged together at ai. \Vhen the said inner ends are free, they will be provided with sonxe means-as the interlocking projection C or the stops d, extending through the slots e in the supporting-plate E-to hold them in position when operating the levers to press the fruit. It is preferred to have the inner ends of the levers hinged, as thereby a positive connection is formed between them, which prevents the levers from separating or the inner end of one lever from getting in front of or in the rear of the inner end of the other lever. The ends of the levers are curved,and when closed are spanned by the spring band or bed B, which fits close to the said ends and holds the levers closed. The levers when formed of wood will have their ends re-enforced by the plates F, which are hinged at their inner ends.
The supporting-plateEis secured to the side of the levers, and projects beyond their ends and is curved to conform nearly to the curved outline of the curved ends of the levers when the said levers are closed, so as not to extend too far to be in the way, and it is held to the said levers by the bolts or pins d, which pass through the slots c in the ends of the said plate.
The fruit is placed on the plate E between the ends of the levers and the bed, the levers being first opened; then the levers are grasped and brought together. This operation gradually diminishes the space between the bed and the said ends of the levers and expresses the juice from the fruit.
The levers are provided with inward extensions, G, which form stops to limit the inward movement of the levers, and also serve as jaws for compressing corks, cracking nuts, the., thus increasing the utility of the device to a great degree.
Having thus described my invention, what I claim, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, 1s-
1. The hereiirdeseribed fruitsqueezer,com posed of the bed and the two levers hinged to the ends of the bed, and provided with short arms which extend inward, the fruit being pressed between the bed and the said arms, substantially as set forth.
2. rllhe herein-described fruit-squeezer,com posed of the arch-shaped bed and the two levers having their ends expanded laterally, and curved or provided with short curved arms and hinged at the outer ends of the arms to the ends ofthe bed,whereby the fruit is adapted to be pressed between the bed arms, substantially as specified.
3. The combination, with the two levers, ot' the yielding bed having its ends connected with the outer ends ofthe levers, substantially as specified.
4. The combination, with the two levers, of the arch-shaped bed of spring material conneeted to the outer ends of the levers, su bstan tially as described, for the purpose specified.
5. The combination, with the tWo levers and the bed, of the snpportingplate, substantially as and for the purpose described.
6. The combination, with the two levers and the bed, of the supportingplate having slots near each end and the pins passing through and tne said the slid slots and securing the plate to the levers, substantially as and for the purpose de scribed.
7. The combination, with the bed, of thetwo levers having their ends expanded, and having Areeni`oreing plates secured to the ends of the levers and hinged together, of the bed c0nnected to the outer ends of the levers, substantially as described.
9. The herein-described fruit-sqneezer,com posed of two levers hinged together at their inner ends and having inward extensions to form stops and jaws, the bed hinged at its ends to the outer. ends of the levers and the supporting-plate, substantially as speoitied.
In testimony whereof I aiiix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
Tanonone M. CARR, CLINTON A. SLoAN.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US5101720 *||Jan 11, 1991||Apr 7, 1992||Stephan Bianchi||Double-hinged garlic press/grater|
|US5165335 *||Sep 19, 1991||Nov 24, 1992||Stephan Bianchi||Cross-ribbed garlic press|
|US9237822 *||Sep 23, 2009||Jan 19, 2016||Theresa Peronti||Hand operated fruit squeezer|
|US9706869 *||Jan 19, 2016||Jul 18, 2017||Theresa Peronti||Hand operated fruit squeezer|
|US20110067583 *||Sep 23, 2009||Mar 24, 2011||Theresa Peronti||Hand operated fruit squeezer|
|US20160242587 *||Jan 19, 2016||Aug 25, 2016||Theresa Peronti||Hand Operated Fruit Squeezer|