US 501774 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
[No ModeL) F. D. DUNNINGTON.
N0. 501,774. Patented July 18, 1893.
ATTORNEYS opening 12 leads out from the recess b for the UNITED STATES.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 501,774, dated July 18,1893.
' Application filed April 3,1893. Serial No. 468.843. (No model.)
To all whom it mag concern.
Be it known that I, FRANK D. DUNNING- TON, of Buckhannomin the county of Upshur and State of West Virginia, have invented a new and useful Improvement in Carpenters Squares, of which the following is a specification.
My invention is an improvement in squares and consists in the novel constructions and combinations of parts hereinafter described and pointed out in the claims.
In the drawings-Figure 1 is a side view of asquare provided with my improvement. Fig. 2 is a similar View the handle being partly broken away and Fig. 3 shows the marker in detail.
The square A may in general respects be of ordinary construction with the handle B and blade 0.
The marker D is connected by a line E with the square so thatthe marker ma be drawn along the edge of the blade in marking work and the line is connected with the blade by a retracting device so that the line may be drawn in and the marker be brought up to the handle when not in use. Manifestly the line may be a tape as shown, or a cord or a flexible chain, or other suitable construction. The retracting device is preferably a spring actuated drum F journaled in a cavity or recess 1) in the handle B and closed at the edge of said handle by a cap plate B. At the end of the handle to which the blade 0 is joined an passage of the line E.
It may be desirable to provide a detent for stopping the recoil of the spring when the marker is being used. As shown this detent comprises a ratchet f on the drum and a spring pawl f to engage the ratchet, such pawl having a projecting portion f arranged to be readily engaged by the thumb or finger so that the pawl may be readily released to permit the The marker D is formed with a case (1 and a pivoted blade 01' movable on its pivot 01 to project at its point d beyond either side of the case so that such point may be used to mark the work. This blade is extended to form a' handle at d and is spring actuated so as to be normally retained within the case, pressure on the handle in either direction operating to properly project the point of the blade for use as desired.
.If desired the square may be provided with an extra blade independent of the blade 61' and arranged to adjust into and out of the square.
It is evident that the improved marking attachment in no wise interferes with the ordinary use of the square as when not in use the line and marker are drawn in to the mortise or recess of the square handle with only the blade of the marker handle projecting so that it can be conveniently grasped. Atthe same time the improvement-provides at all times a marker in connection with the square which marker can be quickly'brought into use.
Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
1. The combination with the square of the marker a line secured to the marker and a retracting device connecting the line with the square substantially as set forth".
2. The combination of the square, a spring actuated drum, journaled thereto, a marker and a line connectingflthe marker with the drum substantially as set forth.
3. A square provided in its handle with a recess or mortise b and having an opening 1) leading out from-saidrecess at the blade end of the handle, the drum supported-within said recess 1) the marker and the line connected with the marker extended through opening b and connected with the drum all substantially as set forth.
4. In an apparatus substantially as described a marker comprising a case, and a blade pivoted and movable at its point into and out of the case, and spring actuated normally into the case substantially as 'set forth.
5. The improved square having its handle provided with a recess b and opening I), the spring actuated drum arranged within said recess b the line connected with the drum and extended out through the opening b and the marker connected at one end with the line and movable at said end through the opening 1) into the recess 5 such marker having a pivoted spring actuated blade provided at the end of'the marker opposite the line connection with a handle portion all substantially as described and for the purpose set forth.
FRANK D. DUNNINGTON.
T. A. LOUDIN, W. L. FOSTER.